You have a great UPS job…. So how much is your CAR payment? Be honest 👀

Nah
Let’s say you have 40k cash. Boomer David Ramey mentality is to pay that 40k cash and buy a car

The smart way to do it is to get the lowest apr term possible. Even now in these :censored2:ty times you can get 5% loans on 48 months

If you take that 40k, and invest it in a simple index fund, you will gain 10% yearly compounded based on historic data.

If you spend that 40k cash and buy a car u get nothing.
If you spend $40k cash on a car, you get a car. If you take out a loan at 5% for 4 years, you pay that much more than just $40k over those 4 years.

Faceplanted

If you spend $40k cash on a car, you get a car. If you take out a loan at 5% for 4 years, you pay that much more than just $40k over those 4 years.
You’re totally not understanding what I’m saying.

If you have 40k cash here are your two options

1. Buy a car for 40k.

2. Take that 40k, and put it in the s&p. 4 yeas Assuming historic 10% Apr returns. 40k = 58564. Get a loan for 40k 48 month. 5% apr = 48k total spent depending on taxes/registration ect

10k profit in getting a car loan. This doesn’t take into account inflation

NEVER pay cash for any big purchase. You use loans aka leverage to increase your investments

Over70irregs

1. Buy a car for 40k.

2. Take that 40k, and put it in the s&p. 4 yeas Assuming historic 10% Apr returns. 40k = 58564. Get a loan for 40k 48 month. 5% apr = 48k total spent depending on taxes/registration ect

NEVER pay cash for any big purchase. You use loans aka leverage to increase your investments
We are a credit economy. Everything ceases without it. Great post.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs
The newest vehicle I drive is my Ford package car. Only 16k miles and it beeps like a little bitch whenever I get within 5 feet of the center line.

iowa boy

I'm sorry, but I don't need an $800 a month truck payment to drive 3 miles to and from work every day. I'll drive my 22 year old rust bucket. Also, mama paid off her vehicle this morning, so no more car payments in this house either.

DriverNerd

1. Buy a car for 40k.

For that to be true you must be able to afford a $1000 per month car payment and do you really believe you're getting 10% return over the next few years?

Otherwise, sure.

Brown Down

750 for my wife's car that we travel in. I have a beater to drive the short distance to work. But I also pay off my car loans as quick as possible. Just not to the point to get a nice car for travel with cash but getting there quick.

Assuming historic 10% Apr returns. 40k = 58564.
so what happens when our market resets to the actual historical mean due to our intense debt and the "historic 10%" becomes 1-2% if you're lucky

you're using return figures from a PUMPED half century and assuming that will just keep happening forever, maybe you're right maybe you're not but it's NOT a sure thing

1. Buy a car for 40k.

here's the other problem, you're also assuming you can't possibly lose your job or have anything happen to your ability to pay your loan

if you buy with cash, no matter what happens you own transportation and some idiot in DEBT probably doesn't anymore

hard assets ALWAYS win over debt and IOU

Faceplanted

so what happens when our market resets to the actual historical mean due to our intense debt and the "historic 10%" becomes 1-2% if you're lucky

you're using return figures from a PUMPED half century and assuming that will just keep happening forever, maybe you're right maybe you're not but it's NOT a sure thing
Just 2 more weeks and the economy will collapse