You will all be working on August 1st.

qdg2

We were told today that we will stop making pick ups July 15 to flush the system.

Obviously a ridiculous scare tactic
+
I remember UPS doing this in 1997.
Remember doing what?

We worked right up till the strike.....ask people that were on feeder runs......

The "system" was full. Everyone including the workers were surprised we struck. Especially the customers. Of which many are still pissed to this day and we never recovered their business. This is settled history.

It would seem, if UPS stops business(that's what they are doing) by the 15th.......they would be prepared for all out "nuclear war"....so to speak. BTW, this is hard to imagine really. I've seen speculation of how long the strike fund would last. And cutting folks pay by half and then nothing......I think very few folks are prepared for such.

Steamer

At least according to my center manager at the PCM. So plan on continuing to work!!!!

Management in my building seems oddly indifferent bordering on upbeat that a strike won't happen or that "the government will get involved and force you all back." They're even joking about it. The overall atmosphere feels weird. Center manager being oddly friendly and all smiles. I preferred it when he was mercurial and tried to ambush drivers for methods violations behind the 7-11.

I'm curious what, if anything, management in your respective buildings is saying or doing.

I really hope UPS doesn't have some contingency plan that will blindside O'Brien and the negotiating team because that's kind of what it feels like.

I hope I'm wrong and a good, strong contract will be signed soon, otherwise its off to the picket line.
Well, I don't care for Sleepy Joe. But Joe Biden might not allow that to happen. Since Democrats love unions. Then again they are full of hypocrisy. So we shall see.

DOK

Ups will lose $850 mill in revenue per day, be surprised if they’d allow a strike. I’ve been surprised before though

qdg2

Ups will lose $850 mill in revenue per day, be surprised if they’d allow a strike. I’ve been surprised before though
$850 million X 365.......$310,250,000,000......

UPS grosses 310 billion(yearly)? Really? I just read $100 billion.

Point taken though.......it will be costly for EVERYONE. No doubt.

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier
+

Remember doing what?

We worked right up till the strike.....ask people that were on feeder runs......

The "system" was full. Everyone including the workers were surprised we struck. Especially the customers. Of which many are still pissed to this day and we never recovered their business. This is settled history.

It would seem, if UPS stops business(that's what they are doing) by the 15th.......they would be prepared for all out "nuclear war"....so to speak. BTW, this is hard to imagine really. I've seen speculation of how long the strike fund would last. And cutting folks pay by half and then nothing......I think very few folks are prepared for such.

It would be a "Nuclear War"... any notion of closing shop will have the Feds investigating all the inner workings on both sides, particularly with the Company. If we go out it will be the Company's doing, plain and simple...O'Brien and his team are not asking for that much from what I have seen, the closer to the deadline that may change.

Each party has a "little red button" to push...it would be mutual destruction for both...If it happens our fractured economy will go south big time..litigation, fees and a possible withdraw from the Central States bail out would be under consideration and that is just from the Federal Agencies.

Even if we get a decent tentative, it still might go down...A ton of mistrust and anger out there over the last two.

Is the Company relying too much on Washington stepping in and preventing a nationwide strike, remember that this will not be a only UPS Strike, every collective bargaining workshop will be participating and supporting us. They may also think that they will force O'Brien to put out a subpar agreement for vote by using fear mongering tactics....I still remember just before the 97 strike we had senior members and their wives crying to Carey for a vote. pathetic..

:people_crybaby:

CHEMA-DELMA

Joey can't get involved, they have not replaced his Labor sec since Marty departed. The other nominee has not been through the ringer of approval yet.... Sean wants a strike, he has been talking / threating since last year. He wants to come after UPS then Amazon. All that is left to get done is the $$. When EGO'S get in the way the hourly will pay.

dudebro

I remember UPS doing this in 1997.
We did NOT do that in 1997. I was delivering critical packages like hospital supplies that were hung up in the network during the first week of August, and even as many mgmt people as we had then compared to now, we were no match for the amount of work that was still in the network.

After that, to soften the revenue hit, we were STILL picking up 1DA and 2DA out of Manhattan and operating two flights per day from Newark to Louisville with management pilots (then as now, the IPA did not cross the line).

That said, the company could not even come close to surviving like that, and had we gone into a third week the management staff was going to start getting cut.

PT Car Washer

+

Remember doing what?

My building didn't have any work for days after the strike in 97. Had delivery drivers unloading and loading packages when stuff did start to arrive. It was a week before I went back to work. Your building and area may have been different.

PT Car Washer

We did NOT do that in 1997. I was delivering critical packages like hospital supplies that were hung up in the network during the first week of August, and even as many mgmt people as we had then compared to now, we were no match for the amount of work that was still in the network.

After that, to soften the revenue hit, we were STILL picking up 1DA and 2DA out of Manhattan and operating two flights per day from Newark to Louisville with management pilots (then as now, the IPA did not cross the line).

That said, the company could not even come close to surviving like that, and had we gone into a third week the management staff was going to start getting cut.
I am talking about the rest of the country not having any work. Manhattan is not the center of the universe.

Arizax2

Local management are not in the know in the grand scheme of things but that doesn't mean they don't have contingency plans that's in place.