You will all be working on August 1st.

Don't have have to give a 72 hour notice?
Yep.

Just can't remember all the details. It was a weird time.

There was no internet, and just word of mouth or printed handouts.

A past administration of my Local Union destroyed all the information, after they lost an election.
I believe you have to give a 30-day "notice of intent to strike" during active collective bargaining for a new contract, and that's all. I think they have to respect it for what it is, the 1st is the 1st. I'm sure that'd the dumbed-down version, but I remember reading some such.

What'dyabringmetoday???

We did NOT do that in 1997. I was delivering critical packages like hospital supplies that were hung up in the network during the first week of August, and even as many mgmt people as we had then compared to now, we were no match for the amount of work that was still in the network.

After that, to soften the revenue hit, we were STILL picking up 1DA and 2DA out of Manhattan and operating two flights per day from Newark to Louisville with management pilots (then as now, the IPA did not cross the line).

That said, the company could not even come close to surviving like that, and had we gone into a third week the management staff was going to start getting cut.
The non-hourly people were simply attempting to give the appearance that they could keep the company running without the hourly backbone. It was basically theater.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The non-hourly people were simply attempting to give the appearance that they could keep the company running without the hourly backbone. It was basically theater.
We had about six supervisors Brown up and drive package cars out the front main gate in front of the local TV news cameras. They drove around the block and came back in the Feeder's rear gate.

Pullman Brown

At least according to my center manager at the PCM. So plan on continuing to work!!!!

Management in my building seems oddly indifferent bordering on upbeat that a strike won't happen or that "the government will get involved and force you all back." They're even joking about it. The overall atmosphere feels weird. Center manager being oddly friendly and all smiles. I preferred it when he was mercurial and tried to ambush drivers for methods violations behind the 7-11.

I'm curious what, if anything, management in your respective buildings is saying or doing.

I really hope UPS doesn't have some contingency plan that will blindside O'Brien and the negotiating team because that's kind of what it feels like.

I hope I'm wrong and a good, strong contract will be signed soon, otherwise its off to the picket line.

A lot of sympathy from management. Not a very strong class conflict vibe in our building!

ManInBrown

Joey can't get involved, they have not replaced his Labor sec since Marty departed. The other nominee has not been through the wringer of approval yet.... Sean wants a strike, he has been talking / threating since last year. He wants to come after UPS then Amazon. All that is left to get done is the $$. When EGO'S get in the way the hourly will pay.
The interim was just asked about this. Will you step in, she either replied not yet, or not at this time. Trust me, they’re stepping in. I said it two months ago. Is the company banking on Brandon forcing us back? I think they are.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
+

Remember doing what?

We worked right up till the strike.....ask people that were on feeder runs......

The "system" was full. Everyone including the workers were surprised we struck. Especially the customers. Of which many are still pissed to this day and we never recovered their business. This is settled history.

It would seem, if UPS stops business(that's what they are doing) by the 15th.......they would be prepared for all out "nuclear war"....so to speak. BTW, this is hard to imagine really. I've seen speculation of how long the strike fund would last. And cutting folks pay by half and then nothing......I think very few folks are prepared for such.

Backup a step cowboy not quite how it went down
Ibt had to give 72 hour notice before a strike can be called its contractual look it up.
Once notice was give ups started to purge the system

I GOT ONE MORE

Joey can't get involved, they have not replaced his Labor sec since Marty departed. The other nominee has not been through the wringer of approval yet.... Sean wants a strike, he has been talking / threating since last year. He wants to come after UPS then Amazon. All that is left to get done is the $$. When EGO'S get in the way the hourly will pay.
O’Brien is exactly like Carey in ‘97.

I GOT ONE MORE

Trying to be. This is about getting Amazon and FedEx employees to notice the union. It’s a wrap.
I would agree with you on your point.
Lots of of companies are watching these negotiations very carefully.
It will set a precedent.
And it should,
as employees should be rewarded in the success of any company.
But, there is a balance.
And O’Brien, like Carey, are one sided bullies with lopsided egos and no peripheral vision.