3 day ride and my experience

tourists24

Well today was day one of my 3 day ride..... Yesterday by myself I ran 81 stops and was 1.04 hrs over (very good day for me).... today with a sup I ran 83 and was 1.64 hrs over (about average).....

Dagoof

The work pace is 3 feet a second. This is an average pace. If you have a shorter stride you may have to move a little quicker. If you are taller and have a long stride it may appear that you are walking slowly.

Just maintain 3 ft a sec. and you will be ok!

It was also the hottest day of the year so far. Right before lunch so I prob was walking a little slower than usual. But when the temp goes from 60s to 80s in a week your bound to be a little sluggish.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
When you have an OJS ride for production, always insist upon reviewing your performance when you get in that night, instead of the following morning.

The reason is this; one trick the sups around here used to use on production rides was to wait until they saw the WOR the next morning before they filled out the performance review paperwork. If you were way overallowed, they would write you a warning letter for having "poor" methods. If you weren't overallowed, they would instead say that your methods were good and then write you a warning letter for maintaining a higher SPORH while being supervised than without supervision.

Dont give them the opportunity to rewrite history. Insist upon an immediate review of your performance prior to clocking off. Otherwise, you are screwed no matter what the WOR says.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
The work pace is 3 feet a second. This is an average pace. If you have a shorter stride you may have to move a little quicker. If you are taller and have a long stride it may appear that you are walking slowly.

Just maintain 3 ft a sec. and you will be ok!

UPS lifer, what are the allowances for package selection and car startup????How does the "system" know if you have a route that is using frequent handtruck runs or a route where you have letters or small parcels. Its not right to give the same allowance for one driver who has 3 letters to a dock and another driver who has to haul 3 66lb boxes up the dock ramp to the back of the warehouse, I think its these kinds of situations where drivers feel they are being cheated on time..because they are.

Dagoof

UPS lifer, what are the allowances for package selection and car startup????How does the "system" know if you have a route that is using frequent handtruck runs or a route where you have letters or small parcels. Its not right to give the same allowance for one driver who has 3 letters to a dock and another driver who has to haul 3 66lb boxes up the dock ramp to the back of the warehouse, I think its these kinds of situations where drivers feel they are being cheated on time..because they are.

yesterday I delivered 328 with pieces with 80 stops picked up 163 and transfered 125 from 3 other drivers to my truck. I lost to it by 55 which is the best I have done in a long time. So I guess I would have to deliver over 400 pieces pick up 200 transfer 200 just to make scratch. And I am the one getting yelled at for production.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
yesterday I delivered 328 with pieces with 80 stops picked up 163 and transfered 125 from 3 other drivers to my truck. I lost to it by 55 which is the best I have done in a long time. So I guess I would have to deliver over 400 pieces pick up 200 transfer 200 just to make scratch. And I am the one getting yelled at for production.

True, seems like you gave MORE than a fairs day work for fair days pay. When you say transfer, you mean take the time to load their packages onto your car...right? So right there you probably lost 20 plus minutes which probably wasnt coded out. It can be hard to not worry about it but many of the numbers are just so vague...hang in there. Remember, if you ever get hurt bad enough the company isnt going to take your side if you were a bonus driver...or if someone gets in a serious accident that was their fault the company will fire a driver who made 2 hours of bonus just as fast as someone 2 hrs over...in the end it doesnt matter..your health and safety comes first..please!!

JonFrum

it may now I know I'm I may be stretching things a bit but it may just be possible to maintain a brisk walk pace and still be ok when you retire.

In fact that brisk walk pace may be the reason some people have thier health when they retire. For some strange reason some people actually try to go out for a brisk hour walk to maintain their health. :happy-very:
A lifetime of daily brisk hour walks is good exercise.

A career of climbing in and out of high-step package cars is just puting wear and tear on your body. Add the daily brisk walking and you are adding even more wear and tear.

Dagoof

True, seems like you gave MORE than a fairs day work for fair days pay. When you say transfer, you mean take the time to load their packages onto your car...right? So right there you probably lost 20 plus minutes which probably wasnt coded out. It can be hard to not worry about it but many of the numbers are just so vague...hang in there. Remember, if you ever get hurt bad enough the company isnt going to take your side if you were a bonus driver...or if someone gets in a serious accident that was their fault the company will fire a driver who made 2 hours of bonus just as fast as someone 2 hrs over...in the end it doesnt matter..your health and safety comes first..please!!

Yes I Run all the volume back to the building from the town we deliver. Which is why the stops are so low. Have to have them done by 3 and pickups and transfers done by 4.I dont know what a bonus is because the time study is so bad.

NI1

So, I am still puzzled as to why all of the drivers that had 3 day rides that week got their review. How come I haven't gotten mine? hmmmm...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yes I Run all the volume back to the building from the town we deliver. Which is why the stops are so low. Have to have them done by 3 and pickups and transfers done by 4.I dont know what a bonus is because the time study is so bad.

You need to find a former post my p-man, whos a management member on here. He was posting about some of the "problems" with the time studies and how it isnt always the "drivers" fault that they are so wacked out. Its just a carrot to dangle. Im all for having some sort of production, for a variety of reasons, but when Im doing more pickups and deliveries than driver b, c and d and have worst numbers, plus putting more ware and tare on my body..well something isnt right. Many of the loops dont have leveled work between the drivers, that is also a problem....it goes on and on. Try to work safely each stop...:peaceful:

Dagoof

You need to find a former post my p-man, whos a management member on here. He was posting about some of the "problems" with the time studies and how it isnt always the "drivers" fault that they are so wacked out. Its just a carrot to dangle. Im all for having some sort of production, for a variety of reasons, but when Im doing more pickups and deliveries than driver b, c and d and have worst numbers, plus putting more ware and tare on my body..well something isnt right. Many of the loops dont have leveled work between the drivers, that is also a problem....it goes on and on. Try to work safely each stop...:peaceful:

I do and thats why I am fighting them about trying to write me up for production. Even on the 3 day ride the best I did was lost by 89. We had a time study a few years ago mine came back as start time 8:45 70 stops equals loss of 130. I argued then that it should have come back with that being scratch not negative. I brought that report up during our meeting both sups played dumb not knowing what report I was talking about.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I do and thats why I am fighting them about trying to write me up for production. Even on the 3 day ride the best I did was lost by 89. We had a time study a few years ago mine came back as start time 8:45 70 stops equals loss of 130. I argued then that it should have come back with that being scratch not negative. I brought that report up during our meeting both sups played dumb not knowing what report I was talking about.

Hang in there. I wouldn't agree to any "lock in" on your numbers..your route would have to be rock study with stops, pickup pieces everyday. If you have a route that gets cuts and adds on a daily basis or have stop/pu pieces that change by a good number then your allowance will be off daily. They think that everyday will be the same...not in the real world. You seem to be giving them a fair days work...thats all the contract says. If you feel they are over supervision you then you should file...someone will chime in on other things you can do to calm them down. more than likely your mgt team knows your doing a nice job, they are just being hounded by the folks upstairs..its really pitiful whats going on with this company right now because of the economy...there are other ways to get things done without the harassment. Employee relations have never been ups' strong point, but thing are going down the tubes....

Coldworld

60 months and counting

One more thing, dont you think its funny that with most routes, every time study gets a little more over..theres a reason for that. If your doing the methods by scratch and your area doesnt shrink up by that much you should be right around the same time for all of the time studies, but this doesnt always happen. I dont have ANY problem working hard..but make it FAIR!!!!

tourists24

Just had the 2nd of my 3 day ride yesterday. Ran 1.6 hrs over day 1 and 1.6 over on day 2. It seems around here they are more concerned about the SPORH than the over allowed. The drivers that have already received their 3 day rides are trying to be locked in on this instead of the over allowed.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dagoof, when you transfer do you put that under driver assist? If not try it and see what that does to your numbers. Your time will then be coded and accounted for instead of just free time. Under extra work.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
Just had the 2nd of my 3 day ride yesterday. Ran 1.6 hrs over day 1 and 1.6 over on day 2. It seems around here they are more concerned about the SPORH than the over allowed. The drivers that have already received their 3 day rides are trying to be locked in on this instead of the over allowed.
These numbers are all meaningless. Did you crash? Deliver all of your pkgs, or at least attempt them all? Did you get injured? Were the customers content? Did you get home to your family safely at the end of your day? These are the things that matter. JMHO, as always.

Dagoof, when you transfer do you put that under driver assist? If not try it and see what that does to your numbers. Your time will then be coded and accounted for instead of just free time.
Driver assist? Never heard of this function. Besides this, shouldn't there be a time allowance for using the handcart?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
These numbers are all meaningless. Did you crash? Deliver all of your pkgs, or at least attempt them all? Did you get injured? Were the customers content? Did you get home to your family safely at the end of your day? These are the things that matter. JMHO, as always.

Driver assist? Never heard of this function. Besides this, shouldn't there be a time allowance for using the handcart?
You would think so but I know all they will say to this is "It's figured in". LOL

Driver assist - look under extra work and see if you have it. Anytime you go to help another driver, lets say with an over 70 it should be coded under driver assist. Transferring pkgs would apply as well.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
You would think so but I know all they will say to this is "It's figured in". LOL

Driver assist - look under extra work and see if you have it. Anytime you go to help another driver, lets say with an over 70 it should be coded under driver assist. Transferring pkgs would apply as well.
Ahhh, very good idea. Thanks dilli, I did not know this.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Steve, I totally agree. I think if you have a route where your puling out that thing more than a few times you are loosing MAJOR time with it...then having to put it back each time. How does the system know if you have 3 69 lb boxes or 3 letters...it doesnt. And for those who say "it all averages out"...BS

Dagoof

Dagoof, when you transfer do you put that under driver assist? If not try it and see what that does to your numbers. Your time will then be coded and accounted for instead of just free time. Under extra work.
I was told to put it under load unload in the timecard screen. Ill have to check on the other work thing.