Bring on the concessions!!

ezmoney5150

Tell that to the part timers making 8.50hr in the late 80s living large with their own apt and cars, I have spoken to many og's in my hub and all said the same. Part timers are not sitting across from the bargaining table talking wages. H20 is, and they obviously could care less. You union guys are so out of touch is comical
I was one of those part timers you speak of. I couldn't afford an apt. on $150 a week. not sure who you were talking to, but that is BS.

10 point

That was my understanding.
UPS lays out a financial package at the beginning of negotiations and then the Teamster negotiators decide how it is split up.
Benefits, Pension contributions and wages are decided by the Teamster negotiators.

If you don't know me, I detest how part-timers are treated at UPS at the behest of the drivers input to negotiations.
I happen to be with one of the chief UPS negotiators at dinner one night and this part-time wages conversation came up and this is what he explained to me and the others.
I must admit that was 20 years ago.
Realistically the part-timers are victims of their own choosing. There are probably fifty thousand more part-timers then there are full-time employees. If they would just vote for themselves and their own issues
they could see real change in that trend.

Look at the part-timers at worldport that never even voted in the general election! That is pathetic. I think a lot of people have lost hope. Apathy will eat your lunch

Last edited by a moderator:

5habits100

Realistically the part-timers are victims of their own choosing. There are probably fifty thousand more part-timers then there are full-time employees. If they would just vote for themselves and their own issues
they could see real change in that trend.

Look at the part-timers at worldport that never even voted in the general election! That is pathetic. I think a lot of people have lost hope. Apathy will eat your lunch
I agree with your first paragraph. However when I was hired 31 years ago the part-timers didn't vote then either. They just don't care.
It isn't just the part-time employees now it's everyone.
In my opinion it isn't the leadership it's the membership. They walk into a full-time job at $35 per hour, 7 weeks of vacation, no premium co-pays on healthcare, pension paid for and numerous other benefits the union negotiated. They don't realize the benefits of being in a union they think the company gave it to them.

10 point

I agree with your first paragraph. However when I was hired 31 years ago the part-timers didn't vote then either. They just don't care.
It isn't just the part-time employees now it's everyone.
In my opinion it isn't the leadership it's the membership. They walk into a full-time job at $35 per hour, 7 weeks of vacation, no premium co-pays on healthcare, pension paid for and numerous other benefits the union negotiated. They don't realize the benefits of being in a union they think the company gave it to them.
Yes I agree with most of that. But very few people walk into that job today. They work for years as part time and then they've got a four-year progression. They start out with no vacations for a year and then they have 3 weeks off not 7. I'm not blaming leadership with blanket condemnation and every local is different. People really don't know what they have when they're full time or when they get hired off the street but part-time- work at UPS is not a goal for many people today. It's just a fill in vocation and with no benefits or vacations, plus being on call for most of the first year it's simply not worth it for many.
What used to be a coveted company to work for has become greatly devalued. When you get hired in and in short time end up having to load 4 or 5 cars at 4:45 am without bennies and the other perks they simply don't stick with it.

I had a small tile company on my route ask me if I knew anybody that would like to have a job there. They started out at $11.50/hr and in 90 days they had full benefits and vacations. No union dues or initiation fees. They're non-union. You tell me where the problem lies.

10 point

If the union's are backing the food service industry workers to start out at $15/hr let's first get our bargaining unit members that starting wage and we'll see union power at work.
Until then, save your breath.
It's all for the cameras.

LagunaBrown

Part time wages are sub-par but the health care and pension is astronomical here in the West. We can make the difference in wages by political action in or community instead of contract negotiations. It is actually really smart because the government would be forcing the wage increase to UPS and it does not need to be bargained. Please support in the fight for 15 because the ballot to the bread box truly helps labor.

Part time wages are sub-par but the health care and pension is astronomical here in the West. We can make the difference in wages by political action in or community instead of contract negotiations. It is actually really smart because the government would be forcing the wage increase to UPS and it does not need to be bargained. Please support in the fight for 15 because the ballot to the bread box truly helps labor.
15 would be nice for some but it would cause but others to get played off

LagunaBrown

I had a small tile company on my route ask me if I knew anybody that would like to have a job there. They started out at $11.50/hr and in 90 days they had full benefits and vacations. No union dues or initiation fees. They're non-union. You tell me where the problem lies.

Our part timers have a great healthcare plan and make well over $8.39 an hour in pension contributions. Please compare because I bet that company is paying into a 60/40 plan and much much less in pension! Reading the fine print is important!

10 point

Our part timers have a great healthcare plan and make well over $8.39 an hour in pension contributions. Please compare because I bet that company is paying into a 60/40 plan and much much less in pension! Reading the fine print is important!
With no year lapse? They start off with those perks?
The trend is a 50-75% turn over in pt time positions here... continuously. They never make it a year.
The 3.5 hr guarantee is not worth being on call for six out of twelve months.

LagunaBrown

With no year lapse? They start off with those perks?
The trend is a 50-75% turn over in pt time positions here... continuously. They never make it a year.
The 3.5 hr guarantee is not worth being on call for six out of twelve months.
Bro think about what your saying. A Teamster job is NOT Short term deal! If you want a better paying job odds are your getting screwed on healthcare and pension. That is why you get over 80% of your starting pay as a part time going to a pension benefit. You always have to put the money in the premium jobs like full time driving and earn that pay with years of service. It is about your future and investing when the majority of Americans don't have that kind of aspiration. Too bad we don't have stats on the people that leave. Lord knows most of the non working class that goes to college ends up in debt with no pension and vote against unions out of jealousy! Believe that!

Last edited:

10 point

Bro think about what your saying. A Teamster job is not Short term deal! If you want a better paying job odds are your getting screwed on healthcare and pension. That is why you get over 80% of your starting pay as a part time going to a pension benefit. It is about your future and investing when the majority of Americans don't have that kind of aspiration. Too bad we don't have stats on the people that leave. Lord knows most of the non working class that goes to college ends up in debt and no pension and vote against unions! Believe that!
I got that.
Most part timers don't. And granted, they are not all traveling the same paths but the one common thread that we've seen in that turnover rate is most believe the end doesn't validate the means.
Society is changing. Everything is disposable to people.
If it doesn't work the way they presumed that it would then they chuck it and move on. The company doesn't help them much because the training is sub par here and that just adds to (everyone's) frustration.

LagunaBrown

I got that.
Most part timers don't. And granted, they are not all traveling the same paths but the one common thread that we've seen in that turnover rate is most believe the end doesn't validate the means.
Society is changing. Everything is disposable to people.
If it doesn't work the way they presumed that it would then they chuck it and move on. The company doesn't help them much because the training is sub par here and that just adds to (everyone's) frustration.
Honestly the guys that leave chose their fate and God bless them on their journey. My concern is with the people like us who are the grinders. The guys that stay dont get gifted the benefits at the end the road..... They friend-ing earned it in a Union shop through senioriy and by people that fought for labor like the Teamsters! I think if more people understand that you would get more votes at elections and more people at the Hall.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Are you sure that the company sets the pt hourly wage? Or any wage?
Is it divided up by the union?
I've heard otherwise. Is this correct?
I have no idea... But I'm sure after the strike ups put up more than was originally allotted just to get going again so that number is open to interpretation...

oldupsman

Im not crying. But you and the rest of us will be in 2018.

Mark my words
Many of us don't have a good pension .
We voted no in hopes of getting some help

I hope everyone chokes on their retro check.

We voted no and lost our better healthcare. The yes voters got an upgrade.

Suck my ass. And Hoffa can go to Hell

I really do feel for you guys. You lost the election because of a group who has socialized medicine.
And you're right about the next contract. You're going to get screwed and they will justify it with some
measly 80 cent raise and ignore every issue that needs to be fixed.