Can't do anything right

It would never get anywhere but let's be realistic there is some idiot parent out there that would sue ups because their helper kid slipped and fell.

There's always those.

I was being realistic in my opinion of the way the OP handled it. If the runner was your kid how do you feel he did? Not UPS as a whole, just his actions.

Squint

No more work for me!
I would hope that your center manager will have taken the weekend to review what happened, taking in to account the obvious concern that you had for her well-being, and will simply want to review the procedures for reporting injuries with you.

You went above and beyond and are to be commended for your compassion.

I shudder to think what MarneVet would have done if he were the driver in question.

Your last sentence is inappropriate and tells me what kind of person you really are.

laffter

Based on the first three pages of this thread... thank you. If I ever do own personal property, I will be sure to have a fence all around it with a locked gate. A delivery driver should first make an attempt to contact me through the intercom to make the delivery. If the package is left outside of the gate (outside of the property), I'll call in a complaint. It's for your safety, afterall.

Kicked Your Dog

25 Year UPSer/SoCal Feeder
....as do I.

"Timely manner" means right away, not 30 minutes later.
Wrong. "Immediately" means right away. "Timely manner" is totally subjective and implies something be done within a reasonable amount of time.

My opinion: the driver called in the helpers condition injury in a timely manner. When the helper's condition began to deteriorate and show signs of an injury, he immediately put an end to her day and informed the center team.

Any attempt at disciplinary action to the driver, needs to be squashed and rebuked immediately. The center manager can go fork himself along with any others b!tches who look too deep into this incident, trying to blame this on the driver. Driver did his best in harsh conditions.

over9five

Staff member
I haven't read this whole thread, but I'd like to add something on "reporting an injury in a timely fashion".
Simply, this means YOUR injury, not another employees! The helper is responsible for reporting her own injury, NOT THE DRIVER.
As long as the driver offered to get help, offered her his phone to use, yada yada yada, he did all he could. If he at some point in the day informed his management team, he did what he was supposed to.
DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANOTHER EMPLOYEE NOT REPORTING HER INJURY IN A TIMELY MANNER.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

DO NOT TAKE ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR ANOTHER EMPLOYEE NOT REPORTING HER INJURY IN A TIMELY MANNER.

I would agree if the employee in question were a regular employee. We are talking about a seasonal helper here. Let's say she did know what the injury reporting procedures were---what do you think the first thing the member of mgt who takes the call is going to say? "Let me talk to the driver." Like it or not, drivers are responsible for their helpers.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I haven't read this whole thread, but I'd like to add something on "reporting an injury in a timely fashion".
Simply, this means YOUR injury, not another employees! The helper is responsible for reporting her own injury, NOT THE DRIVER.
As long as the driver offered to get help, offered her his phone to use, yada yada yada, he did all he could. If he at some point in the day informed his management team, he did what he was supposed to.
Remember the helper is a fellow employee. You are not that persons supervisor.