Customers wanting to open packages before signing.

Kounter Klockwize

Had a customer at a mechanic shop last week. Before signing for his package he started opening the box. I told him that he can't open packages until signing for it. He then gave me a sad story about how DHL shipped him a damaged part. I told him respectfully that I have to call my supervisor before boxes start opening without a signature. The supervisor gave me the go ahead to let the customer open boxes. After about 10 minutes of the cosignee b.s.ing me and attending his customers he finally opens the box. He takes his sweet time inspecting every single detail only to find it in perfect condition. I was understanding, patient, and willing to work with the customer. Everything seemed fine with the customer and I don't mind waiting in the a/c while getting paid by the hour.

Next day my route is covered by another drive and I told him that to go ahead and let the customer open the box before signing. he also had to wait 10 minutes and also said that the customer did not like me, but gave no specific reason as to why. He also said he will stop shipping with UPS, again stating no specific reason as to why.

2 days later another part is ordered at the same shop. I locate another employee who always signs for the owners packages in hopes of getting a quick signature. The owner storms out of nowhere, gives me a dirty look and tells his employee not to sign. So again the same 10 minute waiting game for a part in perfect condition. He seems to me to be looking for something to complain about and give me a hard time. even though I'm doing it by the book and following orders. My supervisor suggested to DR MC MAN, but then quickly retracted that statement incase the part is actually damage. Any suggestions on dealing with customers that want to open packages in this case and in general?
walk out and go about your day. you wait know more than one minute for a signature. your center manager does not want you to have dead time.

clean hairy

When questioned why so much dead time at one stop, inform the center manager what is going on.
Ideally, they will advise what you should do, and not "forget" what they told you their directive was later.

opey

as far as how to sheet damages, our center's rule is to never sheet damaged, because if we do thats an automatic damage claim paid out. sheet refused or missed and add DAM in remarks, bring back to clerk and let them handle it

BrownBrokeDown

Customer is not signing to approve condition of contents; they are signing to acknowledge a delivery was made.

Any problem with the conditions of the contents should be addressed with the shipper.

Get the signature and go.
Problem is shippers use the signature as proof that the product was delivered in mint condition. While i don't open my packages at my day job, if there any small damage to the package it gets marked as damaged before signing. its a situation for the customer thats basically damned if you do and damned if you dont

BrownBrokeDown

as far as how to sheet damages, our center's rule is to never sheet damaged, because if we do thats an automatic damage claim paid out. sheet refused or missed and add DAM in remarks, bring back to clerk and let them handle it
not anymore. since they took away the sales reps ability to override judgements on claims i have not seen a single claim (not caused by water) paid out. They would use "insufficient packaging" to deny a claim of being ran over by the package car now, lol

upschuck

For UPS, the signature just means you accepted the package, not that it was received in perfect condition. Just keep all packaging, if product was damaged, for UPS to inspect.

BrownBrokeDown

For UPS, the signature just means you accepted the package, not that it was received in perfect condition. Just keep all packaging, if product was damaged, for UPS to inspect.
Yes i know that is ups's policy but that is not most suppliers policies. Ever notice the labels on certain boxes that say must inspect before signing or the supplier is no liable for damages? Like i said, for customers, its between a rock and a hard place.

upschuck

Yes i know that is ups's policy but that is not most suppliers policies. Ever notice the labels on certain boxes that say must inspect before signing or the supplier is no liable for damages? Like i said, for customers, its between a rock and a hard place.
Sounds like you need a different supplier, or know how to dispute CC charges.

BrownBrokeDown

Sounds like you need a different supplier, or know how to dispute CC charges.
sigh...

really...

this isn't a single supplier, nor unique to my suppliers

your telling me you havent seen boxes with labels on them stating what i said above? We have them come through nightly at my hub from multiple companies, and im in a smaller hub. I work at a multi-national company that is top 4 in its segment, not just one or two suppliers, but many many many. Hell we have a supplier that we had to put special procedures into place for, supplier selected by our customer we dont have an option, who states that signing for the product guarentees that the qty is correct.

By The Book

Because, if the first one is a C.O.D. and the other 49 are not, the Receiver just got 49 boxes of free inventory, by refusing the first box..

Let's say I find an online tire store I never heard of before, but decide to give them a try.
I will insist my tires are sent out C.O.D., seeing as I want to be sure they do not take my money and disappear.
I order 5 tires, 4 plus a spare.
In one scenario, the tires are 1 of 5, and the first one has the C.O.D. on it.
So, I can write one check for all 5 tires, or refuse the first and take the remaining 4. (so, I just got 4 free tires!) Which I would not do, this is just for example sake.
Second scenario, 1 of 5, 2 of 5, etc each is a C.O.D. therefore, I have to write 5 checks, one for each tire.
What makes more sense? One check for each tire, or one check for all 5?
All the shipper has to do is send them adult signature required, that means no free tires, but does add cost. This scenario is with 1 cod and the rest signature required.

upschuck

sigh...

really...

this isn't a single supplier, nor unique to my suppliers

your telling me you havent seen boxes with labels on them stating what i said above? We have them come through nightly at my hub from multiple companies, and im in a smaller hub. I work at a multi-national company that is top 4 in its segment, not just one or two suppliers, but many many many. Hell we have a supplier that we had to put special procedures into place for, supplier selected by our customer we dont have an option, who states that signing for the product guarentees that the qty is correct.
Scare tactic, I've seen a lot of labels on boxes that we do not recognize, ever see "Rush", or "Overnight", or many other labels? you can not open box, but we can mark if box in bad condition.

That is the supplier problem, we still give them damage claim if it is damaged.

BrownBrokeDown

Scare tactic, I've seen a lot of labels on boxes that we do not recognize, ever see "Rush", or "Overnight", or many other labels? you can not open box, but we can mark if box in bad condition.

not a supplier problem when they say too bad so sad you signed for it without marking it as damaged. you received notification to check it via label, you owe us for the damaged product and for the new one you need to order. please make sure and check the new one before signing.

just because there is a right way to do business/customer service does not mean that is the way a lot of companies do it now.

BrownBrokeDown

dont get me wrong i dont open mine, i automatically mark it as damage if there is a smudge of belt burn on it, but thats because i work at ups and know the process. the majority of the public do not understand that process and have the shippers using a 3rd party's delivery confirmation as basically an aknowledgement that the invoice will be paid in full.

upschuck

not a supplier problem when they say too bad so sad you signed for it without marking it as damaged. you received notification to check it via label, you owe us for the damaged product and for the new one you need to order. please make sure and check the new one before signing.

just because there is a right way to do business/customer service does not mean that is the way a lot of companies do it now.
Then you get a new supplier, or withhold payment.

upschuck

Legally, you do not have to pay for things that aren't received in advertised order.

clean hairy

I just laugh when I see "rush" on a ground package.
If it really is a rush shipment, send it nda!

wayfair

swollen member
you received notification to check it via label, you owe us for the damaged product and for the new one you need to order. please make sure and check the new one before signing.
UPS doesn't recognize tape that is labeled that way....

just as they don't recognize "arrow" stickers, "fragile" stickers, "do not stack" stickers

BrownBrokeDown

Ok listen, you guys dont obviously dont understand/have been driving at UPS driving to long. I see if from both sides (per my companies rules as we resale a lot of product) some companies use the signature as proof it was delivered in good order and it is on the customer to prove otherwise. The corporation goes ahead and pays the invoice. The little man that signed for it get wrote up/terminated if the cost is enough and the higher ups then institute a policy of check before signing. But they choose to stay with the same vendor because they can get the product cheaper with that vendor than someone else. the guy that you are delivering to has no say in a lot of instances and higherups only care about the $'s on a sheet. Its also the pot calling the kettle black when UPS has the same policy and it is on the shipper to prove it was shipped in good order and packed like it was 15th century pottery from the ming dynasty and even then ups will deny any and all damage claims unless it was caused by getting wet.

BrownBrokeDown

Legally, you do not have to pay for things that aren't received in advertised order.
you don't but they say by not marking as damaged it was received in good order. it is on the customer to prove otherwise. upper management says "pay we cant do anything about it, BRING THE HAMMER DOWN ON THAT POS PEON THAT DIDNT CHECK IT!!!!" and so forth

I have seen it at multiple companies from the receiving end and seen it from more from the shipping end. Its not that uncommon of a policy for companies that dont use insurance but ship items worth more than $100. and there is more than you would think of those as well.