Dont want to quit.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I know that this is going to offend some people but here goes. At any time in the last 17 years have you considered applying for citizenship? If you intended to work here all of your adult life that would seem to have been the logical choice. It appears as though you are going to have to decide where you want to live and work (if that decision hasn't already been made by the government). After all, there are a lot of Americans who need jobs now and I don't think the ones that are available should be given to non-Americans regardless of their immigration status (legal or non-legal). Nothing personal, just me talkin'.

In 17 years I have never once considered applying for citizenship.
but your saying though, if I filled out some forms and took a test on American history to get my citizenship, I would no longer be taking an Americans job because I would be an american. And although I am the sole provider for my American wife and three American children , an american citizen to lazy to find a job deserves to have my job handed to him because I wasn't born here. Perhaps you should give your job to a native American using your own rationality.
I think jobs should be given to the best applicant , and apparently UPS agrees.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Filthpig

"I see stupid people. They're everywhere. They walk around just like everybody else and they don't even know they're stupid."

especially in mirrors I bet.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
you have to remember that its freezing cold for the most part in England. they are made like that purposely to keep our legs and hands warm.

Warm beer....eeewwwwwww. I'm sure by now after living in America you prefer your beer ice cold besides, there are other drinks that can give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside ..example ..JD Old No. 7 neet.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Warm beer....eeewwwwwww. I'm sure by now after living in America you prefer your beer ice cold besides, there are other drinks that can give you that warm fuzzy feeling inside ..example ..JD Old No. 7 neet.

This warm beer myth has to stop, its just not true. The draught beer is not refrigerated , but its all kept down in the cellar where its a lot cooler than room temperature, remember its very cold in the uk its not like we have 100 degree summers and after hard days work need an Ice cold beer its @%$@ freezing outside most days ,trust me you wouldnt be looking forward to an ice cold bud. We`ve been brewing beer for centurys over there, the beer is amazing and goes down reel smooth. Any bottled beer is usualy refrigerated in pubs and ALWAYS kept on ice in Night clubs. Most folks only drink bottled beer because its trendy, theres so many great ales and bitters on tap you're spoiled for choice and the guiness over there is like drinking fresh milk and puts the guiness brewed for the states to shame. The drinking and social aspect in the Uk has been perfected over hundreds of years by thousands of proffesional boozers, lager loutes and alcaholics. We dont drink warm beer (well we would if we had to) we drink perfect pints. God I miss the pubs man I could murder a bottle of dog (newcastle brown) about right now. Last time I was home there was a guiness promotion going on. If you could drink 10 pints in an hour you won a Guiness T shirt. I stumbled out of the local with 2 t shirts a cap and 2 pens. The only reason I want to stay over here is just to piss off rocky and keep an american from getting a good job. lol

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
Newcastle on tap is just about my favorite beer. It's toss up between that and the Guiness.

I hope things work out for you, UK-Guy.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
Only joking all just winding up filthpig and Rocky. To be honest , these two guys have inspired me more than any one. I will not rest until I get the leave of absence that I need and I WILL return to work after a few months of relaxing in the motherland just to piss them off thanks guys I probably wouldnt have been able to do it without you both. CHEERS!!!

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
but your saying though, if I filled out some forms and took a test on American history to get my citizenship, I would no longer be taking an Americans job because I would be an american.

I think you're missing the point, UK-Guy.

The only reason I want to stay over here is just to piss off rocky and keep an american from getting a good job. lol

"And the hits, they just keep on coming" (Tom Cruise, A Few Good Men).

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
you have to remember that its freezing cold for the most part in England. they are made like that purposely to keep our legs and hands warm.
The "Triumph" joke refers to the electrical systems of these cars and motorcycles, designed by a British guy named John Lucas. Lucas's nickname among Triumph and Norton collectors is "the Prince of Darkness" because of the horrible reliability of his headlights, alternators, fuses and ignition systems. It amazes me that a Limey would not know this most vital aspect of British automotive history. Apparently, talking funny and driving on the wrong side of the road are not your only shortcomings:raspberry-tounge:

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
The "Triumph" joke refers to the electrical systems of these cars and motorcycles, designed by a British guy named John Lucas. Lucas's nickname among Triumph and Norton collectors is "the Prince of Darkness" because of the horrible reliability of his headlights, alternators, fuses and ignition systems. It amazes me that a Limey would not know this most vital aspect of British automotive history. Apparently, talking funny and driving on the wrong side of the road are not your only shortcomings:raspberry-tounge:

I belive you mean Joseph Lucus. refered to as the prince of darkness by "GEARHEADS" worldwide

My father and grandfather both owned Nortons and never had electrical problems. I had no idea that triumph used his wireing systems.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
img079.jpg

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?

I was going to come back at you with some kind of smart ass remark but I just cant be bothered. :happy-very:
I take it you are intrested in bikes though, am I right in saying that the bike my grandads on is a Norton Commando ?

trickpony1

UK Guy-
this is a dumb question and somewhat back on topic but.......

are you married to an American woman and wouldn't that affect your status?

what about all these Russian women that marry American men and become citizens?

Last edited:

Overpaid Union Thug

UK Guy-
this is a dumb question and somewhat back on topic but.......

are you married to an American woman and wouldn't that affect your status?

what about all these Russian women that marry American men and become citizens?

Citizenship isn't automatic unless you are born on or over (on a plane) U.S. soil. In some cases if a child is born over seas on foreign land they can still be U.S. citizens if their father or mother is military. Anyone that marries an American citizen or permanent resident alien (Green Card holder) doesn't receive a Green Card automatically. They have to apply but in most cases they get one. Once they have one they have to renew every so often until they are citizens.

stringerman85

UK Guy - Have you actually talked to UPS yourself? They will have the answers for you, People on here will not...Mostly because your situation is very rare, And never likely to happen to anyone else in the company

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
UK Guy - Have you actually talked to UPS yourself? They will have the answers for you, People on here will not...Mostly because your situation is very rare, And never likely to happen to anyone else in the company

I talked to human resources and they said 12 weeks max on emergency family leave. Ive talked to a center manager (off the record) and was told no way. The union also says that theres no way i could get that long. My main enemy here is time. I only found out about this on the 14th of this month and didnt find out that leaving the country would be involved until the 21st.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?

I wanted to get a few suggestions or ideas of how to approach this situation before I signed my own death warrent.

The-UK-Guy

Tea anyone ?
I guess I was just hoping that maybe someone knew a way to get an extended leave of absence that I had overlooked. Tomorrow morning I will end up going in early and talking to my center manager and possibly the building manager and either get the time off that I need or turn in my resignation. hopefully this run of bad luck Ive been having will end tonight.
My wife and I have agreed that if I don't have a job to come back to then she and the kids will move over to the UK as soon as the school year is over this June. I just didnt want to have to up root my whole family, they've been through enough emotional stress this last year to last a life time. Its not the end of the world though , we`ve faced worse situations than this.
What ever the outcome I ALWAYS land on my feet.

stringerman85

Yeah I would definately talk to your division manager about that situation. UPS may be able to make an exception for you because of the fact that you will be back, We have employees who are out on military leaves and they have been out for a couple years. Good thing about that is they still gain seniority and wages during the time they are absent....UPS may be able to put you in that situation as well.....Center manager, Division manager, Or even anybody higher than them. if you can try to contact