DR to businesses

UPSGUY72

Sure I have but I also have the ability to think for myself. If I feel that the location in question is an unsafe DR I will not leave it. I can't imagine have to answer a business owner's question "Why in the world would you leave a package outside of my door when I am closed?"

Basic and shipper release package are designed for you not to have to think... They are package that get a sharply discounted shipping price because we DR on the first attempt to any location. go back the next day is costing UPS money. You could explain to the business owner that that is what the shipper wanted to happen.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Basic and shipper release package are designed for you not to have to think... They are package that get a sharply discounted shipping price because we DR on the first attempt to any location. go back the next day is costing UPS money. You could explain to the business owner that that is what the shipper wanted to happen.

The guy that sent it tried to save a buck. The guy that ordered it would prefer to recieve it and not have it stolen off his front stoop.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I have yet to have a shipper release or Basic for a closed business (other than the Walmart portrait studio) but if I ever did I would either indirect it or bring it back. There is no way in hell I am leaving a package outside of a closed business which has a lot of foot traffic. That is just asinine.

UPSGUY72

I have yet to have a shipper release or Basic for a closed business (other than the Walmart portrait studio) but if I ever did I would either indirect it or bring it back. There is no way in hell I am leaving a package outside of a closed business which has a lot of foot traffic. That is just asinine.

What about outside a house with a lot of foot traffic ???? What if there was a E sig in you DIAD would you leave it then no matter the location or would you again not deliver it ??

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

What about outside a house with a lot of foot traffic ???? What if there was a E sig in you DIAD would you leave it then no matter the location or would you again not deliver it ??

E-sign releases UPS from any liability but as BM said standard DR rules still apply.

Common sense still prevails, directive or not.

stink219

Packages for the walmart portrait studio are specifically driver release.

It's one thing to DR to a closed business within an open retail establishment. It's another to DR packages outside the front door of a closed business with a lot of foot traffic. I deliver to Walmart and DR portrait studio packages all the time if they have not opened yet. They position chairs to block the entry when they are closed---I simply move one of the chairs, make the delivery and put the chair back. I put the packages behind the cash register table so that the riff-raff that shops at Walmart won't see them. Now, if they had one of those pull-down gates, like the vision center or nail salon, I would not leave the packages, shipper release or not. I would indirect them to the vision center.
center manager's were giving warning letters for not DRing basics to closed businesses. Even in the doors of the busiest streets, out in the open. UPS doesn't pay any claims on these pkgs.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

center manager's were giving warning letters for not DRing basics to closed businesses. Even in the doors of the busiest streets, out in the open. UPS doesn't pay any claims on these pkgs.

The fact that "UPS doesn't pay any claims on these pkgs" doesn't mean squat to the business owner who may have been waiting for that pkg which we stupidly left outside of his locked front door.

BlackCat

The fact that "UPS doesn't pay any claims on these pkgs" doesn't mean squat to the business owner who may have been waiting for that pkg which we stupidly left outside of his locked front door.

Then spend the extra few bucks and get a sig, hell even pay regular ground service. Top level service for cheap level rates.. gotcha. Might as well make every ground pkg air while we are at it.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

What it comes down to is your refusing to work as directed. I agree we see very few of these so it's not a huge deal. With that said if you have a shopper release for a business downtown that's closed for a week after Christmas it doesn't matter it gets dr. As with the post office we dr many many many packages to rural route post offices.

stink219

I'm not disagreeing with you on this point. It's a ridiculous practice. Management enforced the rule, so now we comply. As a method, I still try to employ out of sight and weather.....if it can be done.

OCRookie

I think it is safe to say that if said business owner was truly anticipating this package it would not have been shipped as a basic shipper release package. Not to mention your logic is flawed; how is he waiting for the package and yet he has closed his business? You are either saying said business owner is sitting inside his location and thus when he unlocks his door to reopen his business he will receive the package, or he has gone home because it is not that crucial to him and he is OK receiving it the following day when he arrives.

I think it all comes down to one fact; the shipper of this package is requesting that we shipper release this package. We are to make one attempt and if a signature is not possible then you DR it, using shipper release / driver release methods. Why do we sometimes think we can just ignore the shippers requests and do what we want to do? It is pretty cut and dry what shipper release is and the shipper is requesting this service. We are not attempting to trick the shipper or screw the business owner, simply following through on our promise to the shipper, which is release the package how they requested.

UPSGUY72

I think it is safe to say that if said business owner was truly anticipating this package it would not have been shipped as a basic shipper release package. Not to mention your logic is flawed; how is he waiting for the package and yet he has closed his business? You are either saying said business owner is sitting inside his location and thus when he unlocks his door to reopen his business he will receive the package, or he has gone home because it is not that crucial to him and he is OK receiving it the following day when he arrives.

I think it all comes down to one fact; the shipper of this package is requesting that we shipper release this package. We are to make one attempt and if a signature is not possible then you DR it, using shipper release / driver release methods. Why do we sometimes think we can just ignore the shippers requests and do what we want to do? It is pretty cut and dry what shipper release is and the shipper is requesting this service. We are not attempting to trick the shipper or screw the business owner, simply following through on our promise to the shipper, which is release the package how they requested.

We don't get signatures for shipper release or basic package they why they call them shipper release and basic packages. Apparently you can't read the prompt you get on the DIAD when you scan one of thses packages...

OCRookie

We don't get signatures for shipper release or basic package they why they call them shipper release and basic packages. Apparently you can't read the prompt you get on the DIAD when you scan one of thses packages...

Look, I was just saying to get a signature at a business if possible. I know you don't need one. If you sare saying you are forbidden to get one on one of these packages, so be it. Not sure what point that has as far as if the practice is acceptable or not.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
I drive for FedEx so we go to the same stops. I asked the driver at one business and he told me that he just leaves them by the door because the customer asked him to.

At the post office I was 10 minutes early from when they return from lunch. The boxes were sitting by the back door and when they got there to accept what I had for them I asked why they were left there and if I could get her to sign a driver release authorization form so I could do the same. She said she figures one of the other workers told him to leave them. She didn't know anything about it.

Any other questions or insults? I don't care if he does it. It doesn't effect me. I was just curious if you guys could do that. I thought it wasn't allowed...

Just curious does FED EX have a rule about driving around with your bulkhead door open or a rule about wearing your seatbelt all the time.

I bet that not allowed...

Or leaving the truck running while getting a package out of the back and leaving the truck runnin whiles making the delivery. All in a part of town I lock my doors when I drive through it!

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I will NEVER DR any package at my PO. If, for whatever reason, I happen to be late getting there (which rarely ever happens) I know where one of the PO clerks live. I would take it to her house before I DR'd. I do, however, have certain businesses that I will DR any (almost) package at. A church is one of them.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I will NEVER DR any package at my PO. If, for whatever reason, I happen to be late getting there (which rarely ever happens) I know where one of the PO clerks live. I would take it to her house before I DR'd. I do, however, have certain businesses that I will DR any (almost) package at. A church is one of them.

Would you DR any of those packages outside of their locked front door?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Would you DR any of those packages outside of their locked front door?
The church I do, at their request. Once in awhile the door is open when I get there and I will leave packages at the office door (inside) but quite often no one is there even if the front door is unlocked. Caveat: The public High School is on the same property and if I can catch someone there I will leave church packages there. This doesn't happen during the summer though. I have had no problems with DFU's here.