finished my interview, what now?

FromBluetoBrown

I'll be honest with you - if the senior part-time employees wanted the position, and worked as hard as I did/do to get it, they would have it before me.

So, this will sound callous, and I don't mean for it to, but I don't/can't care about that. I care about taking care of my family. If others are not as ambitious and drop the ball, should I boost them up and help them get a job that I want?

Right and I understand that but it sounds to me from how you described the process was alot of secret handshakes and drug deals were made to get this spot for you. Did you sign a full time/cover driver bid list? Or were you an outside hire and if so was there a 6:1 ratio? These are the processes that need to be adhered to before someone can become a driver. Not this "I've been dealing with individuals" stuff. Because we all know that UPS management is just a larger scale of the left hand doesn't know what the right is doing. Management could very well be using you to pull one over on the Union.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
The job is supposed to be offered to them I believe according to the rules.

I understand, as well as understanding your previous post, and appreciate what you are saying.

I guess my point, all along from the very beginning, is if I ask, pester, "Kiss Ass" as per NYS, who am I to then say no when I receive what I ask for?

And I think my most recent post here clarifies it more - I'm nothing special - there are guys who are better than me at this - just not vocal, communicative. I have NEVER stabbed someone in the back to get forward, I've never badmouthed anyone, I never, and never will, sink someone else to move forward. This is like musical chairs - if someone with seniority is not paying attention to the music, I should be upset because I got their seat?

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
...Right and I understand that but it sounds to me from how you described the process was alot of secret handshakes and drug deals were made to get this spot for you...

On the contrary - there is not one person in the entire building that doesn't know at least my first name, and that I won't shut up about being a driver sooner than anyone else in UPS history. Complete opposite of clandestine.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
If BBAG went to FT over more senior PT's then those PT's need to file a greivance. Once they have won their greivance then they become full time and the company cannot take away BBAG's FT status. 2 jobs for the price of one. Leave it to the company to screw things up. LOL

drewed

Shankman
If BBAG went to FT over more senior PT's then those PT's need to file a greivance. Once they have won their greivance then they become full time and the company cannot take away BBAG's FT status. 2 jobs for the price of one. Leave it to the company to screw things up. LOL

Um i believe they could as long as they do it before he makes seniority...

upsgrunt

BBAG--congratulations on the fast track. PLEASE keep us informed on what happens along the way, as I am really interested. I'm, by no means, dogging you, but I have a weird feeling that the crap will start flying and I just would like to know how it goes.
Again, congrats, and keep up the good work!
Steve

Mike Hawk

I'm not busting on you - although I desperately want to. Maybe later.

But what the HECK are you talking about? Class in Maryland is in stone. You are saying I'll go to class then I won't drive?
I have seen 2 of our preloader get sent to class, and 3 from our local sort, none have been hired FT, they just use them for shuttle work, if anything.
Perhaps more important, why are you so rabidly upset regarding my good luck?
Shoot for the stars all you want, and if you hit them great. But don't be suprised if you hit a stump because someone else has seniority.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
may be benefits works in a smaller bldng and no one else wanted to go temp fulltime or summer cover or even perm full time!!or maybe some of the other p/timers failed the road test because they wern't liked ie.... oh you didn't use the hand rail sorry come back next year!! the unwritten rule at ups,vets know what I mean!! But I also feel that the less said the better off he'll be .

sx2700

Banned
may be benefits works in a smaller bldng and no one else wanted to go temp fulltime or summer cover or even perm full time!!or maybe some of the other p/timers failed the road test because they wern't liked ie.... oh you didn't use the hand rail sorry come back next year!! the unwritten rule at ups,vets know what I mean!! But I also feel that the less said the better off he'll be .

This is the way it goes in our center some times. A lot of the part timers have regular full time jobs and just work there for the insurance so they have no interest in full time, therefore allowing newer hires to move ahead of them.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Um i believe they could as long as they do it before he makes seniority...
It's from the point of knowledge til 10 days after to file. Talk to sup within 5 days. They have 5 days to respond (fix). Then file. Of course every center handles things a little differently. I know of a PT that was passed over for FT. He filed. It took 2 years to settle but he won and got one hell of a paycheck plus seniority and pension and progression.

But Benefits Are Great!

Just Words On A Screen
This is the way it goes in our center some times. A lot of the part timers have regular full time jobs and just work there for the insurance so they have no interest in full time, therefore allowing newer hires to move ahead of them.

This was surprising for me when I first started -

The unloaders / sorters, the vast majority of them, have their own businesses - lawn care, painting, a few farmers, all self employed. They do it strictly for ther benefits.

I had assumed (incorrectly) that the only reason anyone would take that hell job of unloading at $8.50/hour would be the chance to eventually drive.