Folding your mirrors in.

Optimus Prime

Anybody out there fold their mirrors in? I was threatened with a suspension for not pulling them in. They said it's a safety issue. I said, it's a safety issue for me as I would like to not have my hand/arm ripped off pulling them in or pushing them back out to save a $20 mirror from getting hit. Plus pulling them in and pushing them out along with pulling your ebrake 150 times a day is doing some serious damage to my arm. Is there a way to challenge this ridiculous "method"?

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Anybody out there fold their mirrors in? I was threatened with a suspension for not pulling them in. They said it's a safety issue. I said, it's a safety issue for me as I would like to not have my hand/arm ripped off pulling them in or pushing them back out to save a $20 mirror from getting hit. Plus pulling them in and pushing them out along with pulling your ebrake 150 times a day is doing some serious damage to my arm. Is there a way to challenge this ridiculous "method"?
Yes you have to work as instructed. If it is not safe to pull in your mirror wait until it is safe to do so. Wait until there is no traffic. Get out and use both hands. Whatever. If every stop takes 15 minutes then that is what it takes. They only respond to production. You better involve your steward. They can advise you what to do.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I like to set everything up outside of the vehicle, feels more intuitive than being cooped up in the cab with both mirrors folded in and literally knowing nothing outside of that bubble, helps to keep track of suicycles, just my 2c.

SafetyFirst

Nearly lost my hand to a passing garbage truck on a tight street when I was going to push my mirror back out one time. Now I always fold it back out on my way back to the vehicle before getting in. At least folding it in you can see in the mirror what's coming from behind you.

Cowboy Mac

I pull in my mirrors over 50 times a day. Most of my business, I have to park on the street with lots of traffic. I don’t usually pull them in when I do my resis because there is less traffic, unless its a narrow street. I go through mirror assemblies about once every 3 weeks, and stop by the shop weekly to get my mirrors tightened. It’s a cost of doing business safely.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I drove 37 years and I never folded a mirror in once while on area. I could see doing it in an urban area with narrow streets, other than that is overkill. That's an end-range motion with your arm causing unnecessary repetitive motion. After retiring, I go work out in the gym every other day. It was then I noticed my right shoulder seems off from closing the bulkhead door for decades while seated. Shutting the door while standing was never taught back when I started.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
It really doesn't matter if it makes sense or not. That's not your call. ups wants to make all decisions from the office. 9.5 list and follow the methods.

trickpony1

I don't think he is kidding.
It's called "cumulative effects".
The soft tissue of any joint can withstand only a limited number of impacts or other physical trauma.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Tell ‘em you’re gay and wink at him. Worked for me, I can’t even remember who my on road is it’s been so long since I’ve seen him. I hope he’s ok... 🙁

Last One In

I do it every stop just to take the extra time to do it. One town I deliver to has a population of about 2000 people. I am typically the only person on the road and I still pull in the mirror. I never know when the center manager might be out using his binoculars. I don't think he likes me much.