Folding your mirrors in.

rod

Retired 22 years
Who cares about a frikin mirror? I would value my hand and arm more than a mirror. The only time our mirrors were folded in was by the car washers when spotting the trucks for the next days line up.

allahuakbar

She/Her
I can’t fathom how you guys make it through your days. You have ears. You have eyes. How would a truck take your arm off when pulling in the mirror and pushing out?

JL 0513

Blindly? You mean you don't look into the mirror before folding it in? You don't look into the mirror when folding it out? Sounds like you are an accident waiting to happen. At my center, folding mirrors in is part of the routine. If management catches you not doing it, it's a write up or warning letter.

That's a nice talent you have seeing rearward when mirror is folded in. Why do you ever fold them out if you can see without them?

I can’t fathom how you guys make it through your days. You have ears. You have eyes. How would a truck take your arm off when pulling in the mirror and pushing out?

Can't hear electric truck or see through folded mirror. Wish I had your powers.

Shift 2

try it 150 times a day for 30 years and tell me how your arm feels
You sound like a management boot licker

SMH
Can you get fired for not following the methods 100 percent? Like not holding the hand rail by mistake at 1 stop out of the 4 that you were observed? Also what about pushing up the selection area of the 5000 section after you finish your 1000 section? I’m asking because I’m getting harassed about how slow I walk so there using methods as an excuse to write me up.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Not young, not bulletproof. I don't "lift" but I do exercise, eat decently and hydrate. I've just had truly physical jobs that required too much from me to buy into someone whining about a sore arm from pulling a hand brake.

But I do think pulling in a mirror for the sake of pulling it in is just asinine.
TF dude?
I’ve been:
A grocery night stocker
A roofing loader
Granite countertop helper/installer/fabricator
Deck hand on a cruise ship
Carpenter apprentice
Roofer/general contracting

This job is worse on my body than any of them. By far. The repetitive motion thing WILL sneak right up on you, and you’ll end up just like those old guys in your building you see walking around like cripples
This is no joke

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
TF dude?
I’ve been:
A grocery night stocker
A roofing loader
Carpenter apprentice

This job is worse on my body than any of them. By far. The repetitive motion thing WILL sneak right up on you, and you’ll end up just like those old guys in your building you see walking around like cripples
This is no joke
More old guys limp than don’t. Start talking to guys in their mid fifties, it’s not how long you have with the company, its how many surgeries have you had?

TF dude?
I’ve been:
A grocery night stocker
A roofing loader
Carpenter apprentice

This is no joke

More old guys limp than don’t. Start talking to guys in their mid fifties, it’s not how long you have with the company, its how many surgeries have you had?

Sorry man, I just haven't had the same experience. I am completely aware of the dangers of repetitive motion, I am also aware of how to take care of myself. You want to start talking about bad knees, arthritic ankle, an eroded hip? Sure, I can buy into that. I stand by what I said, I cannot take someone seriously when they complain of a sore arm from pulling the parking brake.

Fido

Don’t worry he’s friendly
try it 150 times a day for 30 years and tell me how your arm feels
You sound like a management boot licker

SMH
C4F4C040-6343-476E-9559-A553A0DC1D52.jpeg

MrBates

Anybody out there fold their mirrors in? I was threatened with a suspension for not pulling them in. They said it's a safety issue. I said, it's a safety issue for me as I would like to not have my hand/arm ripped off pulling them in or pushing them back out to save a $20 mirror from getting hit. Plus pulling them in and pushing them out along with pulling your ebrake 150 times a day is doing some serious damage to my arm. Is there a way to challenge this ridiculous "method"?
I consistently go 2 hours over everyday so I automatically pull my mirrors in at every stop. If you want them to leave you alone you either be a hero and make their number's everyday, or you follow EVERY SINGLE method like there's a supervisor in your truck at all times.

Sorry man, I just haven't had the same experience. I am completely aware of the dangers of repetitive motion, I am also aware of how to take care of myself. You want to start talking about bad knees, arthritic ankle, an eroded hip? Sure, I can buy into that. I stand by what I said, I cannot take someone seriously when they complain of a sore arm from pulling the parking brake.
You should have seen the mri on my left shoulder from when I missed 6 weeks last fall. Dr. couldn’t believe the damage for a 32 year old with no singular trauma.
Now, do my previous jobs play a part into that? Genetics? All of that. Absolutely.
But I’m right handed, and I didn’t ever have problems until I got a job where I gotta pull that mirror in 150ish times a day. Now I do it with my right arm, outside of the vehicle whenever it’s safe. Still feel the clicks in my left shoulder all day. No pain, but it’s a matter of time before it comes back and I know that.
I hit top rate next Jan. I knew after the first year in pkg that I wasn’t in Kansas anymore. Its been downhill since then. And yes, I workout every day, and watch what I eat.
It’s good that you’re holding up so well, keep it up, but the over confident attitude could get you into trouble.

You should have seen the mri on my left shoulder from when I missed 6 weeks last fall. Dr. couldn’t believe the damage for a 32 year old.
Now, do my previous jobs play a part into that? Genetics? All of that. Absolutely.
But I’m right handed, and I didn’t ever have problems until I got a job where I gotta pull that mirror in 150ish times a day. Now I do it with my right arm, outside of the vehicle whenever it’s safe. Still feel the clicks in my left shoulder all day. No pain, but it’s a matter of time before it comes back and I know that.
I hit top rate next Jan. I knew after the first year in pkg that I wasn’t in Kansas anymore. Its been downhill since then. And yes, I workout every day, and watch what I eat.
It’s good that you’re holding up so well, keep it up, but the over confident attitude could get you into trouble.

I did the 150 stop route with 350+ and a 200+ ups store pickup for about 5 years, started in my late 30's, still didn't feel as bad every day as I did in almost anything I did before. Now I have a cush country run with 50 stops and 250 miles, and cover feeder for 4+ months (FT feeder in the next 2 years), so I will probably never have many issues. I'm not over confident man, just experienced. My experience is just different from yours.

Last One In

I consistently go 2 hours over everyday so I automatically pull my mirrors in at every stop. If you want them to leave you alone you either be a hero and make their number's everyday, or you follow EVERY SINGLE method like there's a supervisor in your truck at all times.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Do your job every minute as if you are having your annual ride.

I did the 150 stop route with 350+ and a 200+ ups store pickup for about 5 years, started in my late 30's, still didn't feel as bad every day as I did in almost anything I did before. Now I have a cush country run with 50 stops and 250 miles, and cover feeder for 4+ months (FT feeder in the next 2 years), so I will probably never have many issues. I'm not over confident man, just experienced. My experience is just different from yours.
Everybody is built differently. I’m 6’3 and lanky which always helped me with other jobs as far as leverage and reach. This job is more core which has been a big adjustment. I plank every day now. Trying to put less stress on the upper body. Watch the reaching, pushing and pulling above my chest.