Hello Brown Cafe!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Again, no clue what you're talking about.. they just opened up 17 22.3 jobs.. drivers are jumping on them.. on top of 7 west center routes up for bid and 9 East center routes.. keep talking when you have no idea.. every cover driver that's been out since peak is still out driving right now.. they walk by me every night..
Yeah 20 plus years and I have absolutely no idea how ups works. You're such an idiot it's amazing.

Why don't you search on here on how many threads have been started by guys who went to driver school and are still waiting weeks to drive or only drive one day or so a week.

You're in the southern supplement so you're going to school for TCD not FT. Which means Mr genius, better be ready to be "on call" and not turn down work once pre seniority or they will DQ your sorry ass quicker than you can get your old job back at auto zone.

Please feel free to come back here and complain about how you're not driving everyday or "I got in accident my first day on a route without a sup on the car". How do I know this? Because your "that guy". Every center has one or two. That self entitled, thinks he's going to be a rock star and deserves the 100k job and bid route because he put in a solid 8 months.

Do ups and everyone else a favor. Quit a second time. Here's hoping the center you're assigned to has a decent on road that sees the train wreck you are coming a mile away and does the right thing and DQs you.

It's amazing that you claim every TCD has been driving since Xmas every day when @Faceplanted pointed out to you awhile ago that wasn't true.

You're like the kid that hangs out in HS parking lots 5 years after graduating , thinking you're so awesome.

You sadly are pathetic. Good luck getting your ass handed to in your 30. You won't make it and will most likely hurt or kill someone trying to drive the truck.

Are you going to quit a second time when they send you out with a bulked out car, too many airs and bus stops and expect you to follow Orion?

Yeah you will, because that's your "character " or lacking of any.

Faceplanted

Bunch of 22.3s opened up in Orlando lots of drivers went. Feeders added some routes too. We are in the swing of summer vacays next week and we will still have extras in the olando hub. Mr jake will go to driving school.... Maybe drive a day or two a week of even that till peak, drive through peak and than be back in the hub come Jan. It will still be a good 2/3 years before he's ft

I'm gonna give u fair warning jake. There is a huge reason these full time drivers went 22.3 and taking a pay cut.

Stay hydrated brother.... Learning how to drive in the middle of summer with a 100+ heat index and 80% humidity,and digging in the back of the 130 degree pc for a package is no joke.

Managers are ruthless in the district, the job is absolute :censored2: now. Orlando hub is horrible, the harassment is out of control. Many drivers are bout ready to throw in the towel. The guys who took the 22.3s couldn't handle the bs any more, and they are not by any means softies or easially intimidated.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Bunch of 22.3s opened up in Orlando lots of drivers went. Feeders added some routes too. We are in the swing of summer vacays next week and we will still have extras in the olando hub. Mr jake will go to driving school.... Maybe drive a day or two a week of even that till peak, drive through peak and than be back in the hub come Jan. It will still be a good 2/3 years before he's ft

I'm gonna give u fair warning jake. There is a huge reason these full time drivers went 22.3 and taking a pay cut.

Stay hydrated brother.... Learning how to drive in the middle of summer with a 100+ heat index and 80% humidity,and digging in the back of the 130 degree pc for a package is no joke.

Managers are ruthless in the district, the job is absolute :censored2: now. Orlando hub is horrible, the harassment is out of control. Many drivers are bout ready to throw in the towel.
Thank you. I heard you guys have had a rash of bad labor issues with management. What prompted that? New center manager?

He's going to try to qualify during the worst time in Florida. In south Florida , it's worse. He's going to learn real quick he doesn't know all that he claims and that maybe everyone who was telling him things were right.

Last edited:

Faceplanted

Thank you. I heard you guys have had a rash of bad labor issues with management. What prompted that? New center manager?

He's going to try to qualify during the worst time in Florida. In south Florida , it's worse. He's going to learn real quick he doesn't know all that he claims and that maybe everyone who was telling him things were right.
There are some real bad bad things going on in the district..... A storm is brewing. It all started about 2 years ago and hasn't stopped. I heard there are still unsettled greviences from almost 2 years ago in the district. Ups labor is bsing, teamsters are bsing, it's a cluster:censored2:

Management seems to forget about a thing called a contract. upper upper management telling them to do things that are easially proven harassment, retaliation, and discrimination.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
There are some real bad bad things going on in the district..... A storm is brewing. It all started about 2 years ago and hasn't stopped. I heard there are still unsettled greviences from almost 2 years ago in the district. Ups labor is bsing, teamsters are bsing, it's a cluster:censored2:

Management seems to forget about a thing called a contract. upper upper management telling them to do things that are easially proven harassment, retaliation, and discrimination.
Your local should reach out to local 79 in Tampa. They have a fierce reputation for fighting stuff like this.

They're close to Orlando. I heard their president Ken Wood is a bad ass. They're known in Florida for being very strong despite a right to work state

Maybe they can help. I know our local had reached out to them when we had an issue and they helped our BA win it.

AutoZone

BrownPower

Managers are ruthless in the district, the job is absolute :censored2: now. Orlando hub is horrible, the harassment is out of control. Many drivers are bout ready to throw in the towel. The guys who took the 22.3s couldn't handle the bs any more, and they are not by any means softies or easially intimidated.
From everyone I've talked with, the east center is the best with best management.. kissimmee has the worst managers that purposely ruin guys and dq everyone.. I've been told by numerous drivers that if I'm qualified before peak confess around, I'll more then likely drive thru peak and not go back in the hub.. they said most important thing is to not be classified as a seasonal driver..

Also, I'm hearing from stewards that southern region by contact has to open 2250 ft jobs within the first 3 years of contact and they haven't even come close, so now they're scrambling and that is where all these 22.3s are coming from.. and all the drivers are jumping when offered for the easier ft work.. so that in turn is opening lots of driving positions... does that all sound right?

And I'm just happy to prove Orion wrong about it taking 5664366 years to drive... lol guess everyone that's given me advice in my hub knows more then you and your 20+ years.. you might know your area, but not mine. I'll listen to faceplanted all day long before you buddy..

Orion inc.

I like turtles
From everyone I've talked with, the east center is the best with best management.. kissimmee has the worst managers that purposely ruin guys and dq everyone.. I've been told by numerous drivers that if I'm qualified before peak confess around, I'll more then likely drive thru peak and not go back in the hub.. they said most important thing is to not be classified as a seasonal driver..

Also, I'm hearing from stewards that southern region by contact has to open 2250 ft jobs within the first 3 years of contact and they haven't even come close, so now they're scrambling and that is where all these 22.3s are coming from.. and all the drivers are jumping when offered for the easier ft work.. so that in turn is opening lots of driving positions... does that all sound right?

And I'm just happy to prove Orion wrong about it taking 5664366 years to drive... lol guess everyone that's given me advice in my hub knows more then you and your 20+ years.. you might know your area, but not mine. I'll listen to faceplanted all day long before you buddy..
Hey jake
Please tell me you aren't THAT stupid to use your real actual first name as your user name??

You'll be a TCD and you might want to actually read the southern supplement. Have you ? No? I have. I've worked under it and was a steward for years.

Your type might go to school but your attitude and approach will get your ass handed to you. Good luck qualifying in summer heat. Hope you aren't some fat, know it all slob.

Oh and if you're a TCD which you will be, better be ready to be "on call". Which means Mr know it all, bye bye auto parts. Turn down driving once or call in once pre seniority and you're done.

By the time your ass makes FT and full rate, I'll be retired with my 35year pension while you'll be mopping up the :censored2: on each low end route because you'll be bouncing around more than your boyfriend does for you.

Oh and those combo jobs they are required to make? That number is spread out over THE whole southern region. That doesn't mean you'll see more of those. Those 17 or so are probably all your hub will get. We got a few more than that. You're best bet is through retirement in feeders and package. But even then, YOU have to qualify. And your approach screams no. I've seen your type so many times. I've been in the office representing them many times because of an accident or cutting corners.

Enjoy mr "brown jake" wanna be I think I'm something but I'm still just a crappy PTer who quits in it gets difficult. Good luck qualifying.

That's your problem. YOU think you know.

You really don't.

Last edited:

Faceplanted

Good luck bro. Be safe, work hard, make your 30 and then follow the methods

You gonna stop doing parts sales? I'll be dead honest, don't plan on driving after Jan every day. You will be lucky to get a day or two a week. Plan accordingly. Congrats, I don't agree with you most times but at the end of the day we are all brothers

I hope you didn't mentally downplay the job... You will see it's only moving boxes but it's no joke

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer

ups managers have integrity oozing out of their ears.

Orion inc.

I like turtles

You gonna stop doing parts sales? I'll be dead honest, don't plan on driving after Jan every day. You will be lucky to get a day or two a week. Plan accordingly. Congrats, I don't agree with you most times but at the end of the day we are all brothers

I hope you didn't mentally downplay the job... You will see it's only moving boxes but it's no joke
I'm sorry but Jake is far from a "brother". This guy would probably sell anyone out in his hub for a shot at FT before him.

I've seen his type many many times. Both ups and the union are far better off without guys like him.

It's the one time where I wouldn't feel bad if an on road DQed him for something petty.

AutoZone

BrownPower

I work in the auto industry.. it's a pretty mentally stressful job that I do. I'm now a service manager for one of the local dealerships after a recent promotion.. I've been in this business since i was 16.. I'm pretty use to stress being in this business. I'm def no fat slob. And I work outside for a living too.. I'm use to the heat.. maybe not 130 degree back of the truck heat, but still. I'm not some office space, I believe you have my stapler type. I've worked hard my whole life. I think I'm pretty prepared for the mental and physical stress I'm soon to endure.. my biggest challenge is when I do get the opportunity to drive, I'll be giving up a 90k a year job.. to in turn end up dq'd for someone hitting my truck while I'm at a stop, or forgetting to sheet something if I'm really busy and trying to make time commits.. those are all things I need to learn, and it sounds like most sups could care less.. I've heard east is the only center with managers that'll help you.. I've got a pretty chameleon personality where I can get along with just about anyone.. again, the auto industry and customers I deal with on a daily basis I have to have that.. hoping I can get on some sups good sides and qualify and just bust my ass and keep going... UPS does not make it easy to get thru their hoops.. I can't afford to take the leap and hold on by my fingertips just for some sup to step on my fingers and make me fall for no reason.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I work in the auto industry.. it's a pretty mentally stressful job that I do. I'm now a service manager for one of the local dealerships after a recent promotion.. I've been in this business since i was 16.. I'm pretty use to stress being in this business. I'm def no fat slob. And I work outside for a living too.. I'm use to the heat.. maybe not 130 degree back of the truck heat, but still. I'm not some office space, I believe you have my stapler type. I've worked hard my whole life. I think I'm pretty prepared for the mental and physical stress I'm soon to endure.. my biggest challenge is when I do get the opportunity to drive, I'll be giving up a 90k a year job.. to in turn end up dq'd for someone hitting my truck while I'm at a stop, or forgetting to sheet something if I'm really busy and trying to make time commits.. those are all things I need to learn, and it sounds like most sups could care less.. I've heard east is the only center with managers that'll help you.. I've got a pretty chameleon personality where I can get along with just about anyone.. again, the auto industry and customers I deal with on a daily basis I have to have that.. hoping I can get on some sups good sides and qualify and just bust my ass and keep going... UPS does not make it easy to get thru their hoops.. I can't afford to take the leap and hold on by my fingertips just for some sup to step on my fingers and make me fall for no reason.
Yeah working "outside" in an auto parts warehouse is not the same. The heat is not the same. The pace is not the same. You won't have time to go into the AC in your office and cool down when it gets too much like you probably do now.

It's much much different. The metrics and expectations they have now are not what you think. I've seen ex military guys quit and say it isn't worth it. You better be ready for that.

And yes once you go to school and get assigned to a center, you'll be an on call TCD in the southern. Which means very little notice. So hope you are ready to give up your 90k job you have now.

At your age, you're taking a big risk with little payoff. FT for the long term is a young mans game especially if you want to get a full pension. You'll be old and crippled most likely by the time you make that all happen. You might want to look at that angle too.

And yes during your 30, they can DQ for anything. The way you park, late airs, bad Orion trace, accident, injury, missing work, anything. Hell, don't grab your handrail and they can DQ you.

That's exactly what it is like now. This new breed of management doesn't care and they'll hold your feet to some impossible fires.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Yeah working "outside" in an auto parts warehouse is not the same. The heat is not the same. The pace is not the same. You won't have time to go into the AC in your office and cool down when it gets too much like you probably do now.

It's much much different. The metrics and expectations they have now are not what you think. I've seen ex military guys quit and say it isn't worth it. You better be ready for that.

And yes once you go to school and get assigned to a center, you'll be an on call TCD in the southern. Which means very little notice. So hope you are ready to give up your 90k job you have now.

At your age, you're taking a big risk with little payoff. FT for the long term is a young mans game especially if you want to get a full pension. You'll be old and crippled most likely by the time you make that all happen. You might want to look at that angle too.

And yes during your 30, they can DQ for anything. The way you park, late airs, bad Orion trace, accident, injury, missing work, anything. Hell, don't grab your handrail and they can DQ you.

That's exactly what it is like now. This new breed of management doesn't care and they'll hold your feet to some impossible fires.
That's the one thing I'm nervous about. Something out of my control that i get dq'd for.. I've heard it all.. if a sup Doesnt like you, he'll make sure you get dq'd.. I'm not worried about the work load.. I'm worried about the sups.. and I only plan on putting in 20-25 years.. hopefully, most of that hard work is done while I'm younger, and can either get into feeders, or doing combos at the hub doing some label flipping in my latter years till retirement.. i know it's a huge gamble at my age.. (33 next month).. I'm making sure in 3 years my son starts there at 17.. by the time he's 21, should walk right into driving and he can retire young.. wish I would have had that opportunity.. oh well..

Orion inc.

I like turtles
That's the one thing I'm nervous about. Something out of my control that i get dq'd for.. I've heard it all.. if a sup Doesnt like you, he'll make sure you get dq'd.. I'm not worried about the work load.. I'm worried about the sups.. and I only plan on putting in 20-25 years.. hopefully, most of that hard work is done while I'm younger, and can either get into feeders, or doing combos at the hub doing some label flipping in my latter years till retirement.. i know it's a huge gamble at my age.. (33 next month).. I'm making sure in 3 years my son starts there at 17.. by the time he's 21, should walk right into driving and he can retire young.. wish I would have had that opportunity.. oh well..
Or be smart and make sure your kid goes to school instead and does something more worthwhile.

You should worry about the workload. It's not as easy as you make it sound. At 33 and you're going to qualify? Better bring lots of Aleeve. 20-25 year pension doesn't pay out as great as a 30-35.

Maybe you shouldn't have quit the first time.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Or be smart and make sure your kid goes to school instead and does something more worthwhile.

You should worry about the workload. It's not as easy as you make it sound. At 33 and you're going to qualify? Better bring lots of Aleeve. 20-25 year pension doesn't pay out as great as a 30-35.

Maybe you shouldn't have quit the first time.
I'll agree with that.. I shouldn't have.. I'd of been full time 6 years ago..

I move 4000-7000 boxes a night right now.. I think you've forgotten how tough the hub work is too.. I can't imagine being more sore then what I'm doing now.. I'm lifting the same boxes as a driver.. just a lot more of them at a lot faster pace..

And as for my son, you think he should go to school, put himself tens of thousands of dollars in debt, to get a job that pays 50-60k which is about average.. to get a job that has no security.. terrible insurance that he'll over pay for, and no retirement.. over UPS? Where he'll have all of that, no debt, and a $38+ job with OT every day?!?! Lol you must of never had a full time job away from UPS to have never seen how it really is at a right to work state job force.. lol

Orion inc.

I like turtles
I'll agree with that.. I shouldn't have.. I'd of been full time 6 years ago..

I move 4000-7000 boxes a night right now.. I think you've forgotten how tough the hub work is too.. I can't imagine being more sore then what I'm doing now.. I'm lifting the same boxes as a driver.. just a lot more of them at a lot faster pace..

And as for my son, you think he should go to school, put himself tens of thousands of dollars in debt, to get a job that pays 50-60k which is about average.. to get a job that has no security.. terrible insurance that he'll over pay for, and no retirement.. over UPS? Where he'll have all of that, no debt, and a $38+ job with OT every day?!?! Lol you must of never had a full time job away from UPS to have never seen how it really is at a right to work state job force.. lol
PT is much easier. Not the same. Did it for years. It's not the same pace. Loading feeders at night is not the same as driving. If hub work is so hard, how come so many drivers take the combo jobs that include that hub work? And if you think your pace is faster than a drivers, as usual you are showing you don't know what you're talking about.

And yes you should want more for your son such as an education and a better career. You didn't save for your kids college? Ups is a good career but I want my kids to do better than me. You should too. And yes I've had jobs outside of ups. Even had my own business that I sold when I went FT.

Jake you have a LOT to learn so instead of thinking you know so much about the job and what it is and compared to other jobs at ups etc.

The best thing you can do is learn to not act like a know it all and lose that aspect of your attitude. Then maybe you'll learn and survive what you have to.

So the best thing you can do is sit back, do less talking and more actual listening.

Otherwise you're going to :censored2: up a second time.

AutoZone

BrownPower
PT is much easier. Not the same. Did it for years. It's not the same pace. Loading feeders at night is not the same as driving. If hub work is so hard, how come so many drivers take the combo jobs that include that hub work? And if you think your pace is faster than a drivers, as usual you are showing you don't know what you're talking about.

And yes you should want more for your son such as an education and a better career. You didn't save for your kids college? Ups is a good career but I want my kids to do better than me. You should too. And yes I've had jobs outside of ups. Even had my own business that I sold when I went FT.

Jake you have a LOT to learn so instead of thinking you know so much about the job and what it is and compared to other jobs at ups etc.

The best thing you can do is learn to not act like a know it all and lose that aspect of your attitude. Then maybe you'll learn and survive what you have to.

So the best thing you can do is sit back, do less talking and more actual listening.

Otherwise you're going to :censored2: up a second time.
By setting my son up to be 80-100k employee of ups by his early 20s is having him do better then me.. describe a better job that he can do and be making that kind of money by 25 years old with those benefits, pension starting, and no debt? Doctor? Lawyer? Software engineer? Computer programmer? Every one of those cost 10s of thousands to go to school! Then no guarantee of a job when he's done.. do you know how many friends I have that work junk jobs that don't even utilize their degrees because the workforce is garbage??? And their 1000s in debt and selling life insurance, or doing landscaping, or selling cars... I'm a pretty smart guy, but I don't understand why you think ups isn't a great career?? A homeless guy can get hired at UPS, and a few years later make 6 figgys!! You don't need anything other then a strong back, and a good work ethic.. no other career like it buddy!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
By setting my son up to be 80-100k employee of ups by his early 20s is having him do better then me.. describe a better job that he can do and be making that kind of money by 25 years old with those benefits, pension starting, and no debt? Doctor? Lawyer? Software engineer? Computer programmer? Every one of those cost 10s of thousands to go to school! Then no guarantee of a job when he's done.. do you know how many friends I have that work junk jobs that don't even utilize their degrees because the workforce is garbage??? And their 1000s in debt and selling life insurance, or doing landscaping, or selling cars... I'm a pretty smart guy, but I don't understand why you think ups isn't a great career?? A homeless guy can get hired at UPS, and a few years later make 6 figgys!! You don't need anything other then a strong back, and a good work ethic.. no other career like it buddy!
Never said ups wasn't a good career. It is for some. But as a parent, I want my kids to far exceed me and that doesn't just mean salary wise. I want them to have a career that they have passion for. One that their talents are used. Do I want them tearing up their bodies over 35 years? No. And as far as thousands in debt, well in my personal opinion, it's a parents job to help them get the education and start in life without serious debt. We started saving even when we both had little money, for that. Is it easier now that we have made successful choices? Yes. And that's why we continue to save so they can have a better future. Your solution is get your kid an interview at ups. Mine would be to put him through college and steer them towards a career they like that they can make a living at without having the thousands of debt.

Here's where your stupidity comes through. A homeless guy can't get hired at ups in a few years making 6 figures. Let us know how long it will take you to make 100k a year? Probably not until after 4 years to full rate and that doesn't include the years you have left to wait until that progression starts. There are many careers out there like ups that pay well with time and effort. Many different trades and skills that after 4 years(like our 4 year wait until full rate) you can make very good money.

If you want an absolute guarantee in life, you're going to be severely disappointed. Even at ups, there is no absolute guarantee of a job or security or wages. You know how many I've seen fired or DQed in my career? A lot. You might want to develop a better sense of reality and then only will you see how ups works. Yes we have a union contract. Yes our pay and benefits are great. But we earn and fought for all of that. Ups didn't give it.

You'll be probably almost or past 40 by the time you reach FT and full rate if you qualify. Being a "smart guy", you should have done it in your 20s if you wanted to make this your life long career. This job will hurt in your 40s more especially at the bottom of the list in seniority.

AutoZone

BrownPower
Why do you have such a problem with me being 40 by the time I'm ft? I bet I'll be ft within 2 years.. so that's 35.. gives me a good 25-30 years of pension build up. Why does it bother you so much that I'm making it faster then you want to believe?

You keep talking about college being the best way... it's not.. college is just a business to make money these days.. if you have a degree and are far more qualified for a position, but I'm the bosses soon to be son in law, or wife's nephew, or golfing buddy, guess who's getting that job.. not you.. again, I have at least 6 friends that I could call right now and ask them how that degree if working out and they would be like mannnn, don't remind me!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son has his MBA. He is nearing the completion of a 3 year rotational training program with an aerospace defense company and has heard that he will be offered a permanent position within the company with a starting salary of $75K plus benefits.

The most that I have ever made working here is $78K.