Hello Brown Cafe!

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Why do you have such a problem with me being 40 by the time I'm ft? I bet I'll be ft within 2 years.. so that's 35.. gives me a good 25-30 years of pension build up. Why does it bother you so much that I'm making it faster then you want to believe?

You keep talking about college being the best way... it's not.. college is just a business to make money these days.. if you have a degree and are far more qualified for a position, but I'm the bosses soon to be son in law, or wife's nephew, or golfing buddy, guess who's getting that job.. not you.. again, I have at least 6 friends that I could call right now and ask them how that degree if working out and they would be like mannnn, don't remind me!

First off, you won't be FT before 40 or even full rate. Which puts a 35 year pension at 75 years of age. You really think you're going to do 35 years of this job until your 70s? You're out of your mind. It'll physically break you before that and then you'll be too broken to even enjoy your retirement or pension.

I didn't just mean college is the best way to go but more education is the best way to go. The more you know, learn and acquire through knowledge , the more opportunities you can have. It also creates a better quality of life as you're not just some stupid idiot. With education , skills and knowledge , you can learn to asses and use critical thinking in many situations. Take yours for example. You think you'll be FT and making 100k by 40 and then will put in 35 years for a pension at at mid to late seventies. Anyone with knowledge or experience of this job knows your dreaming. Can it be done? Sure. Anything can be done. But it'll take amazing circumstances and an amazing individual. I can tell by your posts that you are not that guy. Your approach is one that you know it all and are always right.

College gives someone the opportunity to explore many ideas and shape themselves. Did you attend college? Did you graduate? I did both and while I made a career at ups , college has served a great deal in my life to make it better.

Your issue Jakey is that you think ups is the only thing that pays what it does etc. I can understand why you see that as you've probably been stuck in dead end, low paying jobs your whole life. It's a great paying job if you're lucky to start in your twenties. Almost 40? Well you better be in amazing physical shape and stay that way. Otherwise your knees, back, shoulders, joints and more will suffer more than usual.

If ups is the "best" you want for your kid then you really don't know ups at all. It has it's good points but no way would I want my kids to go through the abuse or environment ups uses. I want better for my kids. I don't want them to settle. I want them to succeed and have freedom in that success. That's the difference between you and me.

Like I said before Jake, you really need to change your mindset about ups and the job you want. You want to do 35 years ? Then listen to the guys who have or are closer to it like me. Get rid of this approach that you know everything because that's when you won't learn anything. Get through school first and then qualify. After that, get through being a TCD and learning every route because you're the lowest guy. Get through not working everyday either or expecting you will. Get through going FT and working 4 years until progression. Get through lay offs or swinging different routes blind until you have enough to bid. Then get through having a bid and setting it up the right way.

Do all that without an accident or injury.

Then you'll have the experience and knowledge to help the younger or older guys coming up.

Until then, learn to shut up more.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
My son has his MBA. He is nearing the completion of a 3 year rotational training program with an aerospace defense company and has heard that he will be offered a permanent position within the company with a starting salary of $75K plus benefits.

The most that I have ever made working here is $78K.

Yes you've told us many times Dave. But your son will have more opportunities to make more as he gets more experience in his field.

You work in the BOG where OT and over 9/5 don't exist. You also work a small center. Yours is not the norm. I work in a huge center and a very dense, urban setting. 100k is the norm.

My wife graduated an ivory league college on full scholarship and received her MBA from another ivory league college. Without that, she wouldn't be making what she is today and it's many times more than I make. It all depends on what you do but a degree or many helps. Mr Jake implies that college is a waste and you don't need it to make good money. While in some situations that might be correct, it isn't always true in many. Our life is successful because of my wife's education combined with her work ethic and skills/experience. It is part of the big picture is my point to Jakey.

Would you want your son working where he is now or ups being a driver, Dave?

I want my kids to find what they love, pursue it and make a good living at it.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
Just sliding through to introduce myself. I'm a new hire who begins on the 23rd. Starting off as a loader/unloader with the goal of eventually becoming a driver.

I will be working this part time job right after my regular 9-5 is finished. I feel fortunate that my big boss at the hub is really cool and down to earth. During the tour you could see he captured the respect and admiration of the other employees. That, along with his no BS (hasn't shown the video in the last 15 yrs) explanation about the job really helped me decide on whether this was a good decision.

The drivers I interact with on a daily basis during my 9-5 tell me now is a great time to get in the building. My boss told me there will be days when i want to quit, but if I hang in there it will absolutely pay off in the long run.

So, here I am. Sacrificing nights with my wife and baby girl to build a better and brighter future for them.

I hope to one day become a contributor to the many interesting conversations going on in here. Thanks goes to the many of you who have already answered my questions.
Hope you make it!! Im on the tale end and its turned out to be a nightmare with 830 nights. They are comparing last years numbers to this year and shoving 25 more stops on my 700

AutoZone

BrownPower
Hey Orion, just an update.. got offered ft driving position 45 minutes ago.. just walked out of hr, dot paperwork in hand.. road test tomorrow, class on Monday, and boom! 8 months baby!! "It's going to take YEARSSSSS....." NOTTTT! Haha..

Attachments

• 1464825482917.jpg
    1464825482917.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 153

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Hey Orion, just an update.. got offered ft driving position 45 minutes ago.. just walked out of hr, dot paperwork in hand.. road test tomorrow, class on Monday, and boom! 8 months baby!! "It's going to take YEARSSSSS....." NOTTTT! Haha..

Just having the medical examination paperwork doesn't mean anything.

Billy Ray

God, help us all.....

Still have to qualify....

upschuck

Seasonal? This is the seasonal hiring time

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You're a bad ass Jakey. You're just so awesome. Screw those senior drivers, here comes Mr second time around bad ass Jakey who's going to walk in knowing everything and anything.

You're the guy who WILL get into an accident so go out there and run and gun it Mr superstar. Be THAT driver. You got this mr big balls.

No need to come on here anymore since YOU know everything there is to ups, driving and this job.

The shares are going to go through the roof now that Mr brown Jakey is set to try to qualify as a driver. Don't listen to any of us. You got this in the bag. Screw 100 degree heat and humidity. You'll run it like the road runner.

No more auto parts for you.

Anyone want to tell him about the starting rate and 4 year progression? Nah he knows it all. Even though he isn't TCD qualified in the southern supplement. (Which means he starts out at way below a TCD rate of pay).

Nah brown Jakey don't need no stinking info. He knows it all.

Also screw the DOK. I'm sure you'll know that word for word by school Monday.

Oh Jakey guess what? No matter what you do or how you do it, you'll still be way way way below me in terms of pension, pay, vacations,401ks etc , bid routes and all around general life.

Which translates you'll still suck in life kiddo.

Now go out there and kill it so our pensions and stocks are all safe.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
.....Anyone want to tell him about the starting rate and 4 year progression? Nah he knows it all. Even though he isn't TCD qualified in the southern supplement. (Which means he starts out at way below a TCD rate of pay).....

Just out of curiosity, what will his seasonal rate be? And, in the unlikely event he does qualify and gets his thirty in right away, what will his rate be? And even more importantly, does our little buddy Jake realize that it will be four more years before he even approaches the 90k a year he claims to be making now?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
The southern supplement doesn't have seasonal in summer only during peak. I think the starting rate is $18.75/hour and a 4 year progression.

He will get to drive his "30" as work is available meaning they can't lay off anyone above him who is FT. I'm not sure he can displace a senior TCD either. Basically, he will work when they have it on 1 training route if work is available. They do not have to work him everyday pre seniority even if he is "qualifying ".

Which means they could work him two days a week and he can't say or file anything from my understanding.

Last edited:
The southern supplement doesn't have seasonal in summer only during peak. I think the starting rate is $14/hour and a 4 year progression.

He will get to drive his "30" as work is available meaning they can't lay off anyone above him who is FT. I'm not sure he can displace a senior TCD either. Basically, he will work when they have it on 1 training route if work is available. They do not have to work him everyday pre seniority even if he is "qualifying ".

Which means they could work him two days a week and he can't say or file anything from my understanding.
Isn't the starting driver wage around $17.
Not counting TCD?

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
The southern supplement doesn't have seasonal in summer only during peak. I think the starting rate is $18.75/hour and a 4 year progression.

30 out of 90?