Making UPS a career?

JL 0513

That was 3 years ago and you won't let it go. Kinda sad. The thread was completely mis-understood as people apparently don't know anything about cars.

The premium class isn't the luxury class. Never suggested guys buy luxury cars. The premium class is a mid-size SUV (Ford Exployer), a P/U truck (Ford friend-150), or full-size sedan (Ford Taurus). I didn't realize guys making $90K would be so against vehicles that your local cop drives on patrol. That's why I started the survey to find out the thinking behind it. But you misunderstood the whole thing.

Last edited:

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
That was 3 years ago and you won't let it go. Kinda sad. The thread was completely mis-understood as people apparently don't know anything about cars.

The premium class isn't the luxury class. Never suggested guys buy luxury cars. The premium class is a mid-size SUV (Ford Exployer), a P/U truck (Ford friend-150), or full-size sedan (Ford Taurus). I didn't realize guys making $90K would be so against vehicles that your local cop drives on patrol. That's why I started the survey to find out the thinking behind it. But you misunderstood the whole thing.

Honestly, I never let it go because at the time I thought it was one of the silliest threads I had ever seen started. Right up there with socks.

I suppose by your definitions back then, my wife's Forester is a premium car. It's nice, but nothing like the 5-series BMW I drove to auction a few months ago. Or the loaded Expedition EL I drove back last week. Or any of the other high-priced, leather lined appliances I get to drive.

Oh, well, both times I got into my regular cab, 4wd, 4 cyl, 5-speed, base model Tacoma by using my key in the door to unlock it and rolling the window down by using my whole arm, and was happy to be back in my own vehicle.

Different strokes, I guess.

(BTW, the only thing 'premium' about the Explorer and Taurus is the fact that they are still based on a Volvo platform. And be very afraid of having any body work done on a new friend-150.)

Northbaypkg

20 NDA stops daily
Lol I went back and read that entire premium car thread because someone linked it. I think JL had a valid point as I've noticed and wondered the same thing myself when I first started driving. Now 4 years later and with a lot more knowledge about my coworkers I see why they drive what they drive. Pretty much the same reasons I saw posted as responses for why they don't drive premium cars: other cars are more economical, divorce, child support payments, etc. Some do drive some nice 40,000 and up cars but a lot don't. I thought it was a fair question (shrugs).

JL 0513

Honestly, I never let it go because at the time I thought it was one of the silliest threads I had ever seen started. Right up there with socks.

I suppose by your definitions back then, my wife's Forester is a premium car. It's nice, but nothing like the 5-series BMW I drove to auction a few months ago. Or the loaded Expedition EL I drove back last week. Or any of the other high-priced, leather lined appliances I get to drive.

Oh, well, both times I got into my regular cab, 4wd, 4 cyl, 5-speed, base model Tacoma by using my key in the door to unlock it and rolling the window down by using my whole arm, and was happy to be back in my own vehicle.

Different strokes, I guess.

(BTW, the only thing 'premium' about the Explorer and Taurus is the fact that they are still based on a Volvo platform. And be very afraid of having any body work done on a new friend-150.)

Why was it a silly thread? It was an observational topic asking for general opinions on where peoples priorities were. The observation was that the UPS center parking lot was filled with vehicles that seemed straight out of a ghetto being driven by highly paid individuals. I was asking for driver's perspective on this. I figured why not talk about something different than the same topics we see day after day.

A Forester isn't the premium class, although the Outback is, particularly mid to upper trim. Premium is Toyota Avalon for example. Luxury is Lexus. Premium is the Nissan Maxima. Luxury is Infiniti. Buick is a Premium lineup. Cadillac is Luxury. Starting to see the difference? In other words, "premium" is mid-range. Average.
You got caught up with the word and got the wrong idea.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Why was it a silly thread? It was an observational topic asking for general opinions on where peoples priorities were. The observation was that the UPS center parking lot was filled with vehicles that seemed straight out of a ghetto being driven by highly paid individuals. I was asking for driver's perspective on this. I figured why not talk about something different than the same topics we see day after day.

A Forester isn't the premium class, although the Outback is, particularly mid to upper trim. Premium is Toyota Avalon for example. Luxury is Lexus. Premium is the Nissan Maxima. Luxury is Infiniti. Buick is a Premium lineup. Cadillac is Luxury. Starting to see the difference? In other words, "premium" is mid-range. Average.

Because it was silly! Who really give a flying leap at a doughnut over what others drive? Unless, of course, you are jealous of their possessions.

By the criteria you set out in your thread, the Forester, at around or above 25k, is a 'premium' car. Hell, it even has a sunroof! And heated seats! Big offing deal!

An Avalon is a big step above a Camry, and a Lexus is a big step above that. Although, with a little creativity, you may just be able to option a Camry out to almost Lexus level. The same with the Nissan's.

And Buick? Nothing more than a higher priced Chevrolet.

As for your last statements, you have it wrong. Average is mid-range. Premium (whatever that even means) is a step above.

Let me know when you are ready to buy your new Camry. Maybe I can get you a deal.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles

It depends on your life circumstances. We have three cars. 1 leased Lexus and two we bought at auction and paid for, a new Mercedes G wagon and an Audi.

Our ups parking lot is a mixture. Some guys drive nice cars but have no money every Friday. Some drive old cars and save. Some drive really nice and have money too. It all depends on your situation.

I lease mine because I drive it to and from work and I like to trade in every few years with no maintenance costs. My wife loves her Mercedes and she wanted that car without a payment so we found a pretty brand new one at auction and she bought it for less than new.

To each his own.

JL 0513

Because it was silly! Who really give a flying leap at a doughnut over what others drive? Unless, of course, you are jealous of their possessions.

By the criteria you set out in your thread, the Forester, at around or above 25k, is a 'premium' car. Hell, it even has a sunroof! And heated seats! Big offing deal!

An Avalon is a big step above a Camry, and a Lexus is a big step above that. Although, with a little creativity, you may just be able to option a Camry out to almost Lexus level. The same with the Nissan's.

And Buick? Nothing more than a higher priced Chevrolet.

As for your last statements, you have it wrong. Average is mid-range. Premium (whatever that even means) is a step above.

Let me know when you are ready to buy your new Camry. Maybe I can get you a deal.

Your thinking is that the premium segment is the upper classes of the auto industry. That's not how it's defined even though by literal definition they are of course premium in nature.

Premium is "mid-level" because they are in the center of the model ranges. The lower levels are economy cars and mainstream high volume cars (Corollas/Civics, Camrys/Accords). In the middle are $30-$45K models not wearing a luxury badge. They vary largely based on segment. A Toyota Highlander is a premium model for example. You can pay $30K, or you can pay $45K for one. But it isn't a Lexus LX at the top end ($85K).

baklava

I don’t work at UPS anymore.
How was that original post arrogant? Dude, you're a maroon.

"Too bad it's against the law to work over 60"

Too bad what? What's your point? Calling me a liar?

I suspected you were an arrogant punk and you confirmed it with your later posts, assuming "complaining" from my POV.

I know your angle and you tried to sneak in some politics with your snark to start a fight with somebody from the super-left Bay Area.

You can't help yourself, you're so arrogant it drips through everything you post.

JL 0513

^^ That's not even what we're talking about. The posts in question are below. This is where you felt the need to reply "No Sh t".

Pay $2200 for a townhouse in Campbell...its value is like $500,000....that's absolutely disgusting to think about...don't even have a backyard

Good 'ol supply and demand when it comes to real estate. Location, location, location. People can complain all they want about prices. If people keep buying to be in a certain location, the prices will reflect that.

JL 0513

"Too bad it's against the law to work over 60"

Too bad what? What's your point? Calling me a liar?

I suspected you were an arrogant punk and you confirmed it with your later posts, assuming "complaining" from my POV.

I know your angle and you tried to sneak in some politics with your snark to start a fight with somebody from the super-left Bay Area.

You can't help yourself, you're so arrogant it drips through everything you post.

As for this post, I was just stating DOT law. Your center has digged up some loophole apparently. Did I call you a liar? No.