Overnight/UPS Freight Salaries?

A

Anonymous ups driver

i can tell you from experience that fedex drivers make a lot more money
you are so wrong my my man. what is your fact? I made 67,000 my first year driving for ups 7 years before that all wharhouse. you are WRONG! I KNOW FEDEX DRIVERS.

I am wondering why no one mentions much about the differences in overtime. UPS receives overtime after 8 hrs.....UPS freight after, is it 41 or 42 hours now. It used to be 44 or 45 hours! That adds up to a huge difference at the end of the year $$ wise. And those are WORKING hours. Holidays, Vacation Days, etc. do not count toward your 40 some odd hours. If UPS and UPS Freight are the same company.....why do they not have the same rules and regulations? I'd like to see someone address this issue since it pertains directly to the difference in salaries.

raceanoncr

I am wondering why no one mentions much about the differences in overtime. UPS receives overtime after 8 hrs.....UPS freight after, is it 41 or 42 hours now. It used to be 44 or 45 hours! That adds up to a huge difference at the end of the year $$ wise. And those are WORKING hours. Holidays, Vacation Days, etc. do not count toward your 40 some odd hours. If UPS and UPS Freight are the same company.....why do they not have the same rules and regulations? I'd like to see someone address this issue since it pertains directly to the difference in salaries.

Actually, it's quite a simple equation. UPS parcel is union and most of UPSF is not.

The O/T issue was negotiated into the labor contract many yrs ago for UPS parcel. Overnite, now UPSF, has, for the most part, never had ANY contract. While now being owned by UPS, that doesn't mean that UPSF will get everything, down to the last paper clip, that UPS gets.

I'm not going to bang the union drum here on this post but this is what it essentially boils down to: Vote for union representation and possibly negotiate the same rules as have been in effect at UPS for many yrs. Until then, you're stuck with whatever your division of the company wants to hand you.

Correct.....I was just wondering why no one had brought this up....I know about the over time issues you mentioned....The O/T issue was negotiated into the labor contract many yrs ago for UPS parcel. Overnite, now UPSF, has, for the most part, never had ANY contract. While now being owned by UPS, that doesn't mean that UPSF will get everything, down to the last paper clip, that UPS gets.
I am not praising the union or knocking it....just bringing up a point that if UPSF got paid for overtime after 8 instead of after 40 whatever it is now there would be a huge difference on your W2 at the end of the year! I can't understand why those who posted above did not even bring this into consideration when they were bantering about the wages....

U

UPGF Lackey

I have worked for Overnite/UPGF for 27 almost 28yrs now. They never paid me overtime for at least 18 of those years. By 2009 we will be getting time and a half after 40hrs. Mighty nice of them to bring us into the 20th century, to bad it is the 21st century. It is not like they ask if you want to work over either. When you work a holiday week. laber day for example. you can put 40 to 42 hrs in 4 days and not get any OT. That is my biggest complaint with ths company. We will never see anything above this because most of the people want to work 50 or better and shudder if they can't. Also they need to close the gap between road pay and PU&D pay. Ot after 8 would give us PU&D drivers a better shot at higher retirement pay. WE can only dream. Also the pay is the same for the entir country except for the Few and I mean Few terminerals that are represented by a third party. They are not exactly better off now but who knows if they will be..

I work for ups freight and do also have friends that work for ups. The difference in pay has to do with the difference in the job. We as upgf have a lower scale because are income ratio to theres in trailer revenue is 100% difference. Also, there is the matter of union and non-union. There non-union part of ups doesn't make much on there docks as sorters. Also, factor in that are side is lazy, can't service the customers, and couldn't dispatch out of centrol correctly on a good day. If ups management would just get off there butts and start firing managers and teach us the about rules and standards. We may actually see our wallets getting fatter. Just tell them to put a leash on there managers in regards to the way they treat you!

Why not organize and get your piece of the pie?? As per the other posts, 90-100k is the norm here for ups truck drivers. Where there is brown, there is green.

I am associated with a city driver that works 10, 12 and 13 plus hour days. If he got OT after 8 I could retire now and start a home business to take us through our golden years. The way it stands I continue to work.

thigh19

Anyone seen any details on what is being offered by the Indy contract. Are they going to offer the contract nation wide? That's the only way I can see a UPS Freight contract working. I've been with Overnite/UPS Freight since 1990 and am pretty comfortable with the way thing are(Pretty much). I average 75-90k a year, I have a 401k that matches .50 on the dollar up to 7 percent, my Overnite pension is close to a teamster pension, I get 4 weeks paid vacation, 9 paid holidays, medical, dental, eyecare at afordable rates. I'd like to know how and if the teamsters will really benifit me. I've heard rumors, but that is all.

RGAman

Ok, will you guys at least get one thing straight? The name of the company that UPS bought was not OVERNIGHT, but OVERNITE TRANSPORTATION!

Skye

18.01 to start and every 6 months you get a .25 rise for the next 3 yrs. Plus COLA at the beginning of each yr. But no union.:scared:

Overtime starts after 42 hours.

sppollock

18.01 to start and every 6 months you get a .25 rise for the next 3 yrs. Plus COLA at the beginning of each yr. But no union.:scared:

Overtime starts after 42 hours.

Does that say .25 raise every six monthes, we are getting .51 every six monthes, and the cola raise, and the last raise is 1.03. I didnt think that the pay was that different around the country. Yes, we start at 18.01 as well.

Because of the state I work in, overtime after 40.

If memory serves...and it probably doesn't, but I am sure someone will correct me where I am wrong....one of our past Presidents....was it Jimmy Carter? was responsible for the overtime glitch (for lack of a better word). When my husband started with OVERNITE it was OT after 45 or 46...it is now OT after 42 I believe and in 2008 will either be after 40 or 41. These are WORKING hours. Paid vacation and holidays do not count. One again I will say that if he got paid OT after 8 our income would increase by leaps and bounds. Not because he is one of those that wants 48 to 50 hours a week but because thats what his city route entails. He works 9 to 13 hours every day. And weeks like this one with two days off - he will more than likely work 13 hours all 3 days.

Also if you remember the cost of living raise last year was eaten up by increased medical insurance. We did not see 1 cent of last years raise.

With the increased fuel cost (which truckers know raises the cost of EVERYTHING else) our pay is buying less and less. Food costs more, clothing...it has all gone up except the pay...

No one has said much about the Indy contract. Just wondering how that is working out for them.

i think it was a law passed a long time ago that if a truck is involved in interstate commerce you dont have to get paid overtime. So if you drive on the interstate or are with a company that hauls goods on the interstate the employer doesnt have to pay overtime.