Peak Dispatching: Pathetic

Marne Vet

My helper(s) never use the diad, unless I have it in signature mode, and need to do a stop with my board. Then, and ONLY then, will I let them use a diad. This idea that letting helpers use a diad sounds great, but I've never been able to get a helper apt enough to pick it up fast enough, or be consistent with it. They get stuck in one screen at one stop, and that's too much lost time. I use the helper board all day along with my diad, so putting a minimum of 30 stops in it isn't even a problem. With the implementation of telematics I can't stop complete while the vehicle is running, so using a helper board is the only way to do this. I'm moving so many stops so fast that I don't have time for helper errors, or time to turn the vehicle off every second to stop complete. I'm moving to the next stop while Helper X is hustling his ass off DRing the stop I just gave him, and I'm at the next one. I tried everything they ever told me to do as far as using a helper. Putting them on a handtruck with ten stops in the freezing cold is the fastest way to have one quit on you. Letting them use a diad slows you down. The fastest way to use one (for me) is right off the truck. Here's a box, that's the door. Go leave it there and don't bring it back. Stop complete. Repeat 250x's. That's it. I'm putting the numbers in the board as told. How they get in there is my decision.

gingerkat

I never run, I just don't sweat how or what they put on there. Ill stay out all night I don't have any kids. The way I figure your week is already blown anyways mon through fri. You don't have time to have a life during the week. I figure ill just stuff that 401k fatty and pay off my house early so im home free financially. Mind over matter in anything you do in life dogg.
Jump, I like your thinking. It's great to hear some positive vibes, but… I think you might be smoking a little too much of the good stuff.:wink2:

It might be might over matter, but it's never mind over body. When your body fails, your mind is not going to heal that spinal injury. I hope you can keep up the good thoughts, but if something happens to your body, will you feel the same? Just stay safe.

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Jump, I like your thinking. It's great to hear some positive vibes, but… I think you might be smoking a little too much of the good stuff.:wink2:

It might be might over matter, but it's never mind over body. When your body fails, your mind is not going to heal that spinal injury. I hope you can keep up the good thoughts, but if something happens to your body, will you feel the same? Just stay safe.
Jumpman's pretty upbeat for a guy with a blown out smurf truck everyday (smurf truck.....lol)......but she makes a good point. Epecially, if you get hurt working off the clock....don't ever give them a reason.

UnconTROLLed

perfection

I think his point remains; that it's the runner-gunners who usually risk destroying their bodies, and it stems from the mental game. They're running to finish before 7pm, instead of working at a safe and normal 7-8-9pm pace. They're caught up in a mindset.

This is why package car is the end of the line, assuming one wants to better themselves outside of UPS...the game is rigged...I avoid package car like the plague.

If there were guaranteed 40 hour weeks, as there should be (instead of this mandatory 50-60 hour week nonsense), it'd be a good if not great job.

oldngray

nowhere special
Package cars are not like they used to be. It used to be one of best areas to work but it is so bad now that many drivers are bidding on inside jobs even if it involves a cut in pay, or going to feeders, or retiring.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Package cars are not like they used to be. It used to be one of best areas to work but it is so bad now that many drivers are bidding on inside jobs even if it involves a cut in pay, or going to feeders, or retiring.
A small benefit is if you're lucky enough to have a route with an automatic and power steering, it's better on the arms/shoulders and left knee. A lone bright spot. :happy-very:

Marne Vet

You're spot on. We lost 7 drivers this year to inside or Feeder bids. I turned Feeders down after giving it a really long thought. I just can't be a rookie and on the Q list for the next 5+ years. My responsibilities at home prevent me from taking a bid like that at the present time. I keep looking at those Article 25 jobs that pop up, but nothing has sparked my interest yet. Even though I get slammed every day, my center team works with me to try and alleviate a lot of the BS, plus there are enough guys extra daily that I can take a day whenever I need to. Having the automatic really saved my knees. Without it I would've had to go inside 100%. For now it's keeping me where I'm at.