Putting in My Letter of Intent

UPSGUY72

But YOU don't know what the job entails. You haven't done it yet. And you certainly sound like you haven't been at ups long to remember what it used to be.

If you were making this decision 20 years ago, I would of said go for it. But the management culture of that time is NOT the one that exists today. I absolutely know what that job used to be and exactly what it is today. I've seen a 37 year center manager retire early because he didn't agree with the "integrity" that ups was forcing on management. He saw how Orion was implemented and how they wanted him to instruct us to sheet packages in certain situations was wrong. He said that this wasn't the same culture he came up in.

Misery loves company. Yep. Being a driver, I get to leave a bad day at the gate as I walk out to go home. An ORS doesn't get that benefit. That "bad" day will get harped on to you by your center manager/DM to the point it now becomes a bad week.

You've got guys on here with 20 plus years here telling you that it's not the same gig it used to be. But you seem to "know" all about the job because you talked to an ORS? You're a driver too. And if you don't have much time in with ups, you should heed the advice others have said. Do YOU know what the job entails? How many hours have YOU spent in the office as an ORS?

Umm none. You haven't done the job you claim you know all about. Many of us haven't but we have been here a long time to know what it entails and see the BS it has become. That's the point.

The difference between when a drivers job sucks and when management's job sucks is we drivers get to leave it at the door and have a new day the next day.

Good luck. You absolutely will need it. Change isn't always good if it's a very bad decision. Don't just change something to change something. Especially something this big that will effect every part of your life whether you like it or not.

It doesn't matter what job you apply for with UPS or outside of UPS unless you have done the job you really don't now what it entails except for hearsay..

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It doesn't matter what job you apply for with UPS or outside of UPS unless you have done the job you really don't now what it entails except for hearsay..
So that means YOU have no idea then what it entails.

YOU aren't an ORS yet you claim you know ALL about it.

You're contradicting yourself.

Well at least you have the first part of being in management down

UPSGUY72

No but it can cause underlying issues if not dealt with. Any stress can of that magnitude.

I survived getting divorced without drinking again. According to my Dr I'm doing a pretty good job of handling dealing with the stress so much so that he wouldn't prescribe anything medication to assist in dealing with the stress.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
We know your the next best thing than sliced bread...
Not really just like you actually, have a good work ethic n have high expectations of how things are supposed to be done. Either your a true leader or your not, last time i checked they dont build true leaders like they used to( compliment to you). I always say either you want the rock in your hand at the end of the game or you dont, those who do arent afraid of failure and have the confidence of putting his team on his back and leading to winning.

UPSGUY72

So that means YOU have no idea then what it entails.

YOU aren't an ORS yet you claim you know ALL about it.

You're contradicting yourself.

Well at least you have the first part of being in management down

LOL I didn't say that I have general knowledge what the job entails. Do I know every little detail of what a ORS does when I'm out delivering packages, NO.

I'm not afraid of change and not scared of taking on more responsibilities.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

As I suggested before, talk to your center manager and ask him/her if you could spend a day after Peak shadowing an on-car. Their responsibilities go far beyond the "did you know's" at the PCM.

newfie

Really?
A frequent BC contributor has been in the military and he has been turned down 3 times due to a "hiring freeze" that no one else seems to know about.

I don't know anything about freezes. I do know about the military. Some of the best management I've seen were prior military.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Lets not take shots at the man, just voice our opinion, hes not there to the dark side just yet lol.
I'm actually being serious. It's not a shot. He actually believes he understands the job yet has never done it and doesn't listen to guys who've seen it become what it is today.

If he has this clouded observation skill on this, then he will fit in with this new crop of management.

Personally I think he's making a mistake, but it's his life and decision.

I just hate to see good people go through stressful things and make bad decisions.

Hopefully he gives this more thought. Maybe he should track down some of the retired 30-35 year management guys and get their advice.

Rainman

Its all good.
They don't force you to move any where in the country they keep you in your district and try to keep you with 50 miles of your home. Also a lot of the people you see move have applied for other jobs within the company although some do get moved by UPS...
Add your current mileage you drive to work. If you drive 20 miles to work, then they can move you an additional 49, total 69 each way, before they have to pay you to move. I got this directly from one of my supervisors who got screwed by this detail.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Well I suppose you know exactly what the job entails as you must have done it before.

I love it when people that have not a clue what someone jobs entails except what they see for 15 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes at night when they get back to the building suddenly become experts on what that person job entails and how much it sucks. Unless you have actually done the job you really don't know how much it sucks or not. Because just because it sucks for one person doesn't mean everyone the does the job is going to say it sucks.

I know some package car drivers that always say the jobs sucks however you don't see them quitting...

Misery loves company....
LOL I didn't say that I have general knowledge what the job entails. Do I know every little detail of what a ORS does when I'm out delivering packages, NO.

I'm not afraid of change and not scared of taking on more responsibilities.

These two statements seem to conflict each other. That's the point I was making.

Nobody said you're not afraid of change or responsibility, they just wonder if you're making this change for the wrong reasons.

You won't have more responsibility then whatever report is the flavor of the week. On roads have had their authority diminished over the years, along with CMs.

And that's why ups isn't as flexible as it used to be to problems that arise.

Good luck whatever you decide.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I'm actually being serious. It's not a shot. He actually believes he understands the job yet has never done it and doesn't listen to guys who've seen it become what it is today.

If he has this clouded observation skill on this, then he will fit in with this new crop of management.

Personally I think he's making a mistake, but it's his life and decision.

I just hate to see good people go through stressful things and make bad decisions.

Hopefully he gives this more thought. Maybe he should track down some of the retired 30-35 year management guys and get their advice.
You me n everyone knows hes making a huge mistake. Its plain as day but its his decision. He probably could be good at the job, but we know how it is in management as weve seen it time and time again in our time here. Me n my supe buddy hang out all the time and are really good friends so ive heard many a many things that i wouldnt repeat to anyone that hes told me, of course out of respect for him. So i have more of an inside track as to what really goes on behind the scenes. Some of the stuff to be honest is just unbelievable. I thought on the outside looking in at the surface it was bad, you guys have no idea how low n dirty these idiots are, blew my mind really lol.

UPSGUY72

Add your current mileage you drive to work. If you drive 20 miles to work, then they can move you an additional 49, total 69 each way, before they have to pay you to move. I got this directly from one of my supervisors who got screwed by this detail.

I have never scene that happen in my area. If someone is moved more that 50 miles they either applied or volunteered for the job. They also keep you in your district again unless you volunteer or apply for a job else where.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You me n everyone knows hes making a huge mistake. Its plain as day but its his decision. He probably could be good at the job, but we know how it is in management as weve seen it time and time again in our time here. Me n my supe buddy hang out all the time and are really good friends so ive heard many a many things that i wouldnt repeat to anyone that hes told me, of course out of respect for him. So i have more of an inside track as to what really goes on behind the scenes. Some of the stuff to be honest is just unbelievable. I thought on the outside looking in at the surface it was bad, you guys have no idea how low n dirty these idiots are, blew my mind really lol.
That's exactly the point I was making. They've changed the game and no matter how good someone is , they will make you play a dirty way.

Dance with the devil, devil don't change, it changes you.