Saturday ground and terrible union

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
UPS uses telematics data to build their case for discipline. The word "solely" has to be removed from contract language. And they do use at local level or panels.

When telematics was implemented, the sole purpose was to deter drivers from going "off area" for personal business.

(As stated by the company in 2007)

It's evolved, but only to an extent.

The company still has to have physical corroboration, in order to sustain discipline.

(unless it's for proven dishonesty)

I've seen more drivers exonerated by telematics, than convicted by it.

Bottom line....

"If you play stupid games, you will win stupid prizes."

-Bug-

babboo25

Banned
When telematics was implemented, the sole purpose was to deter drivers from going "off area" for personal business.

(As stated by the company in 2007)

It's evolved, but only to an extent.

The company still has to have physical corroboration, in order to sustain discipline.

(unless it's for proven dishonesty)

I've seen more drivers exonerated by telematics, than convicted by it.

Bottom line....

"If you play stupid games, you will win stupid prizes."

-Bug-
Bottom line, do you trust a company that hates its employees?

OrionsBitch

Not...
What discipline is sticking by using technology? What exactly is the "terrible" union supposed to do about Saturday delivery? I have my issues with our union, but trashing it isn't going to get you much sympathy. Imagine not having that "terrible" union....
Not complaining and continuing to line their pockets does more for the issue? I'm confused...

MynameisNeigan

Too many lazy, scaredy cats. We can't even get one day in our center where every driver demands 8.
If you are full time demand your 8. If you are cover doing a bid route demand your 8. I had days I worked 6 hours. Got paid 8.

Attachments

• IMG_6785.jpg
    IMG_6785.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 122

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Can't you elaborate on this? Im confused on what you mean by you have to agree when asked if you want to run Code 05.

If you have a light day and bring it in early you have to agree when you supervisor asks if you want your pay code change from 06 (8 hour guarantee) to 05 (hours worked----punch to punch). They are not supposed to change it without asking you first.

Keep in mind, however, if you say no, they may ask you to either go back out and close out a couple of bulk pickups or perhaps get your 8 hours by working on the inside.

542thruNthru

If you have a light day and bring it in early you have to agree when you supervisor asks if you want your pay code change from 06 (8 hour guarantee) to 05 (hours worked----punch to punch). They are not supposed to change it without asking you first.

Keep in mind, however, if you say no, they may ask you to either go back out and close out a couple of bulk pickups or perhaps get your 8 hours by working on the inside.

So it's not you have to agree. I was making sure it wasn't a supplemental thing. We have people (me included) that come in before 8 a bunch. Anytime they ask if we can go 05. We usually say no. I've never been made to go back out. Usually it's a huff and a "fine". Maybe it's a distance thing. Knowing at least a hour would be spent on just travel anyways.

oldngray

nowhere special
So it's not you have to agree. I was making sure it wasn't a supplemental thing. We have people (me included) that come in before 8 a bunch. Anytime they ask if we can go 05. We usually say no. I've never been made to go back out. Usually it's a huff and a "fine". Maybe it's a distance thing. Knowing at least a hour would be spent on just travel anyways.

Depends on the management. They could have you doing garbage like sweeping out trailers until you work 8 to discourage people.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Depends on the management. They could have you doing garbage like sweeping out trailers until you work 8 to discourage people.

Our new center manager has actually threatened to do this. We have a couple of drivers who are normally in and gone by 1700 (we start at 0930) so they are basically getting paid to drive home. He has talked about keeping them until 1815 before letting them go. We are not a bonus center so there really is no point in getting done this early but that is not my call.

Operations Management does not want to work Saturday's either no one DM and above will be working Saturday I promise you.

Telematics is a great tool to manage with, example if we say don't back at a certain address then don't back at that address. I get you are looking for a package in the back of the truck for 5 minutes....but 43 times a day?? So that is where local policies and procedures come into place. SORT THE TRUCK be smart about it. We had to dig packages out in the 80's and we still have to dig them out today. Pre-load still hoses it up everyday.....so quit saying your package has never been so bad. Have someone load by an ALPHA CHART for the first few days/weeks and see how bad it is...
Telematics maybe good for you... Orion is definitely not!

luckster

Maybe time to move on
If a part time air driver my hub is hiring for FT delivery driver I asked if I can bid for the job but was told I have to wait a year? Doesn't make sense why they would rather hire off the street rather than to PArt timers who wants to move full time? Does anybody know why?

browncowboy

Here in the West, we were the first to get Satrurday Delivery rolling. We new the company would need to hire more Cover Positions. If fact, they did. This then created more drivers. We have a Saturday extra work list for Full-time and a Monday sign up list for those that are Tue-Sat. The covers are scheduled cover Tue-Sat. This allows them to gain their progression and earn the rate through their 4 years. We also tell all our Monday-Friday full timers not to go home if their routes get cut. Forse the company to allow you to use your route bid language, that is , displace the low senior in your loop. Now, that makes the company either, let a route driver now displace a utility driver, who now will also possibly be blind on a route, or, have to allow the Senior route drive go out blind on a route and bomb. It has been a hard road. But, the stewards are very good here. They, make the company comply with the contract. And have also had routes put in. Not to mention, come summer the need for vacations that will put all the Tuesday-Saturday people on a 6 day work week. And the cover drivers being called in on Monday at top rate(outside cover language). So, looking at it, this will be the norm, and as an over 25 year Teamster, this is continued job security.