Sincere question

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
Hey guys.. I am fixing to make a career change to UPS. I have been a teacher and coach for several years now, but I am COMPLETELY fed up with the system. I have nothing to gain from it, and in the area I am in I honestly cannot make a difference. However,I have always wanted to be a UPS Delivery Driver (I'm fully aware these positions come with putting in the time). This has truly been a "bucket list" job for me for at least 10 years. I have been told that I could become driving possibly within 5 years of becoming an employee (because of the circumstances at the hub I will be working at such as drivers who are older, etc). I am recently married, just bought a home, and I just want some honest/sincere opinions from some who have "been there, done that"... Is it worth it? Will I be able to move up within 5 years? Would I for sure need to get another part time to make ends meet for a 2-3 year span? Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
"Bucket list Job"
Get the :censored2: outta here

That is what I am most scare about... I will be finished with coaching/teaching in May if I do accept the position. Which I know I will for sure have to find something else PT just to make ends meet.
Can you support yourself and a family on two PT minimum wage jobs? With no benefits? Also remember "last hired, first laid off". UPS will not create work for you when times are slow, like January, February, March, etc.

I appreciate the honest comments.. I really do.
But yeah rod, teaching and coaching flat out sucks... I went to college, got a degree, and I am making like 8/hour during my basketball season. Sadly enough, I sat down and did the math... Plus everthings YOUR fault.. and you deal with kids that curse you out and theres nothing can do to them.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Sadly enough, I sat down and did the math... Plus everthings YOUR fault.. and you deal with kids that curse you out and theres nothing can do to them.
I say this as someone in management.

You're going to get that but instead of kids, your supervisors. It's not like that absolutely everywhere. But it exists.

I appreciate the honest comments.. I really do.
But yeah rod, teaching and coaching flat out sucks... I went to college, got a degree, and I am making like 8/hour during my basketball season. Sadly enough, I sat down and did the math... Plus everthings YOUR fault.. and you deal with kids that curse you out and theres nothing can do to them.
There are a lot of people at UPS that flat out hate their job everyday but are trapped by the money and the eventual retirement pension. Either learn to love your job or find a job you can love. I did and I never (or seldom) ever work a day of my life.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
It will NOT be intellectually gratifying if that is important to you.

The pay is good. Many of us make over 100k a year and the bennies are great. Plenty of vacations, sick days , and paid holidays . I averaged about 45 paid days off a year.

Stress level is high. Have to have the right attitude to survive. If you are naturally laid back that would help a lot. If you can't stand stupidity, nimcompoops , fubar supervisors , long hours , military type thinking , then this place is not for you no matter what the pay.

Pay and beenies rated at 9-10
Work ......a 7
Bosses .....a 3
Friendships.....a 8
Fitness .......a 8-9
Stress.........a 8-9
Retirement... a 10

But heck , give it a try. It may be your winning lottery ticket.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Honestly ask anyone if they like their job, most will say no. You go to work to make money, not to be happy, or make friends. If you want to be tired and not at home then come to ups.
Exactly. It's called work for a reason. Not I didn't what I love to do and had fun all day...

Cementups

Box Monkey
Not for the sake of argument at all, but i love my job. This job, as with most, is all in how you take it. I realized a long time ago how fortunate I am to have such a good job that provides a great pay and benefits for myself and my family. Especially since I did not finish college. I truly enjoy the job. I couldn't do a job being stuck inside and be an office zombie. And being out amongst the people can be very rewarding in itself. It's all about your view of the situation.

As far as how long it would take of you to get into a driving position, it would all depend on your location. I hear some places it take 7-10 years but here where I am it seems guys come out driving in 6 months or less.

Scoot

The pay is good. Many of us make over 100k a year and the bennies are great. Plenty of vacations, sick days , and paid holidays . I averaged about 45 paid days off a year.

Stress level is high. Have to have the right attitude to survive. If you are naturally laid back that would help a lot. If you can't stand stupidity, nimcompoops , fubar supervisors , long hours , military type thinking , then this place is not for you no matter what the pay.

Work ......a 7
Bosses .....a 3
Friendships.....a 8
Fitness .......a 8-9
Stress.........a 8-9
Retirement... a 10

Good post but I think you're overrating the fitness aspect. Sure it'll keep you from getting fat but it will also break your body down over the long term.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I disagree with the fitness. I can tell you personally that when I started driving I was 204 lbs. (6'2"). At one point I got up to 270 lbs.

Of course I am that now again, but I also put on 30 lbs being off for 5 months. It's coming off a little bit at a time.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Work ......a 7
Bosses .....a 3
Friendships.....a 8
Fitness .......a 8-9
Stress.........a 8-9
Retirement... a 10

You rated the above items as a feeder driver...now to be fair lets redo them and watch the numbers drop... How low can they go... Negative digits??? Lol

I know that if I were to get a delivery job I would be happy and content... as crazy as I may sound my skill set defines what it takes to be one. I am hard working, I am not lazy, I am fit, I have a motor that only shuts off at night, I am a people person, and I love a fast pace working environment.. That's why I loved coaching basketball for four years but that along with teaching math is not for me any longer.

Sorry I didn't mean to preach to the choir, haha.. I would love to have a delivery job but I just do not know if I can afford it long term.. For 2-3 years? yes.. my wife and I could make do.. But longer than that I don't believe we could.... eventually having kids and what not

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I know that if I were to get a delivery job I would be happy and content... as crazy as I may sound my skill set defines what it takes to be one. I am hard working, I am not lazy, I am fit, I have a motor that only shuts off at night, I am a people person, and I love a fast pace working environment.. That's why I loved coaching basketball for four years but that along with teaching math is not for me any longer.

Sorry I didn't mean to preach to the choir, haha.. I would love to have a delivery job but I just do not know if I can afford it long term.. For 2-3 years? yes.. my wife and I could make do.. But longer than that I don't believe we could.... eventually having kids and what not
No offense, but I thought I had a good idea of what driving would be like too. It's a whole different world when you walk into an overloaded package car, look at your DIAD and see you have 170 stops. It's tough to describe until you actually do it.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
ya, maybe right on fitness . i was grading that if he was a part timer starting off in the hub. package driving will wear out the body but if you use proper methods and pace you can survive.

fitness for feeder is about a 3 . you will have to do physical conditioning outside of work. stress is lower also for a feeder but this guy won't be in feeder.

the retirement is a 11.

Coldworld

60 months and counting

Something thAt you might not be ready for but you will have to deal with on a daily basis is the connection that women have toward the brown uniform...you will be looked at, smiled at and maybe even touched...are you ready for this??? What will you do in these situations...you must use your head( and not your little head!!) and think quickly...yes you flirt or no you don't. Yes you wear your brown daisy Dukes and roll up your sleeves for Samantha, but you wear long baggy pants and a jacket around Doris....these are all things you must think about when you put that brown on... You are following in many a playboys footsteps...some are still here,some are not...

Lineandinitial

Legio patria nostra
Why not teach at a private or parochial school?

I highly doubt that you're making $8/hour as a teacher, so is that your coaching pay? If you're coaching for the money, get the hell out of the way and allow someone that does it for the intangible rewards do it.
You certainly don't expect us to believe you're making $8/hour as a teacher!

Coldworld

60 months and counting
ya, maybe right on fitness . i was grading that if he was a part timer starting off in the hub. package driving will wear out the body but if you use proper methods and pace you can survive.

fitness for feeder is about a 3 . you will have to do physical conditioning outside of work. stress is lower also for a feeder but this guy won't be in feeder.

the retirement is a 11.
Yep..you will have to order the feeder pants after awhile xxxl truckin' large and in charge....sporting your 2 liter trucker mug full of coffee or Mountain Dew big baller shot caller