Tattoo Discrimination

memberoflocal61

Im leaning more towards your route got cut , so you were laid off but either way a day off is always good, congrats and thanks

Sent using BrownCafe App

sandwich

The resident gearhead
Nope, had a scheduled floater yesterday walked in this morning asked if I could have today off too, my sup said no problem took my Diad handed it to a part time cover driver, sup turns around gives me a fist bump says what do you want to be coded. Used another floater he said have a good weekend see you Monday your on the same route next week. So nope, no routes were cut no one was laid off. Being that I'm a full time driver I will be back to work on Monday. So you can lean any which way you want, except for full time.

Done with this pointless thread.

beavis

Since you already went through the grievance process than you ultimately have to make your own decision. Life is full of tough decisions. Either have the tats removed or not go driving. Not everybody can have their cake and eat it too. What's more important to you, the tats or driving?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
memberoflocal61,

There have been numerous decisions, from the National Panel in regards to tattoos.

Your Local knows this.... And the panel that heard your case, certainly does.

I understand you think its unfair.... but, there is a lot of history on the subject.

If you feel like making some lawyers boat payments.... there is that route.

Your Local BA can show you the National Panel Decisions.... Some of which are

from the same time period, as the case with the "corn rows" you mentioned.

-Bug-

That i should be like every other tattooed employee and be able to COVER them and drive

If you didn't read my previous post.... Here it is again.

-Bug-

beavis

That i should be like every other tattooed employee and be able to COVER them and drive

Sent using BrownCafe App
Obviously you want your cake and eat it too since you couldn't answer a simple question. When your tattoos fade and wrinkle and you're collecting a PT pension I hope you don't have any regrets.

upschuck

@memberoflocal61 I don't think you are a jerk, you just don't understand the ruling, and you think you can hide your tattoo. I don't believe you could completely cover that tattoo. Even with long sleeves and gloves, part of you arm could be seen when extending your arms, showing the tattoo.

And no, they are not keeping you in your position because you are good at it. A good driver will make the company more money than a good unloader.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Tattoo threads never get old. I busted out loud
after seeing this:
[qte="HEFFE3743, member: 1131"]
images

Plus, no chance for dog bite injuries !!!!! :wink2:[/quote]

cover-jpg.12636

Last edited:

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The labor guys from UPS said no to the fulltime from the getgo, and have always been the ones fighting to keep it a no

Stop complaining already. They're not going to let you drive. Yes, you can cover them up, but if UPS will not allow you to go driving, there's no reason to cover them up. Your preload co workers won't be easily offended.

Before i went driving I had a beard, which (to meet appearance standards) I had to shave off completely. I didn't piss a bitch, I grew up, shaved it off and have been driving since.

Remove your tats and try again.

_Mayday_

Yes Really
I feel for OP. How many hundreds, probably thousands drivers go out on route everyday with visible tattoos? In my building we have a handful of guys with neck tattoos which seems worse than hand tattoos, but also a dozen guys with hand and knuckle tattoos go out not covered up at all. Plenty of guys with calf tattoos and some with full sleeves. No one bats an eye, they were hired and made their 30 days with these tattoos, uncovered.

That being said...OP you do come across as a bit of a jerk, but I would too in your situation. You came here for help and hope and answers, some people have already given you some good advice but you are getting quite a nasty backlash that can't be easy to read. You are clearly very hungry to go driving and that sucks that you aren't getting that chance when so many people in different locals across the country have achieved what you want a shot at.

I don't know what your building is like, but over here the babyboomers are retiring faster than they can fill the seats. Guys with barely 1 year with the company are making seniority as FT cover drivers. Who knows maybe they will change their minds if when staffing goes to hell...good luck and try not let the anger and frustration consume you.

memberoflocal61

Stop complaining already. They're not going to let you drive. Yes, you can cover them up, but if UPS will not allow you to go driving, there's no reason to cover them up. Your preload co workers won't be easily offended.

Before i went driving I had a beard, which (to meet appearance standards) I had to shave off completely. I didn't piss a bitch, I grew up, shaved it off and have been driving since.

Remove your tats and try again.

Beards are the new tribal tattoo for white people

Sent using BrownCafe App

memberoflocal61

Obviously you want your cake and eat it too since you couldn't answer a simple question. When your tattoos fade and wrinkle and you're collecting a PT pension I hope you don't have any regrets.
Just like one day your skin is gonna wrinkle and fade..happens with age

Sent using BrownCafe App

memberoflocal61

I feel for OP. How many hundreds, probably thousands drivers go out on route everyday with visible tattoos? In my building we have a handful of guys with neck tattoos which seems worse than hand tattoos, but also a dozen guys with hand and knuckle tattoos go out not covered up at all. Plenty of guys with calf tattoos and some with full sleeves. No one bats an eye, they were hired and made their 30 days with these tattoos, uncovered.

That being said...OP you do come across as a bit of a jerk, but I would too in your situation. You came here for help and hope and answers, some people have already given you some good advice but you are getting quite a nasty backlash that can't be easy to read. You are clearly very hungry to go driving and that sucks that you aren't getting that chance when so many people in different locals across the country have achieved what you want a shot at.

I don't know what your building is like, but over here the babyboomers are retiring faster than they can fill the seats. Guys with barely 1 year with the company are making seniority as FT cover drivers. Who knows maybe they will change their minds if when staffing goes to hell...good luck and try not let the anger and frustration consume you.

My center is great, everyone including management encourages me to keep trying and do anything possible to force the issue, unfortunately, the union told me to bring in the uniform and gloves to show the council members i could cover them up, i was gonna stand infront of everyone of the 30 ppl at that meeting, had clothes on hanger and gloves ready to go, once the meeting started, union rep opened with "this is my opening statement, rebutal, and closing argument" and straight blind sided me cause after he said that i couldn't have a rebuttal when the defense aka labor manager was
degrading me. to say the least, i couldn't put the brown long sleeve on and gloves due to how the union switched sides when it came down to it.

Sent using BrownCafe App

Last edited:

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Since you already went through the grievance process than you ultimately have to make your own decision. Life is full of tough decisions. Either have the tats removed or not go driving. Not everybody can have their cake and eat it too. What's more important to you, the tats or driving?
Words of wisdom from the Great Cornholio! lol