Tattoo Discrimination

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Afterwards i asked for my withdrawal card.

It seems, you are not the only one having problems because of a tattoo.

297l3k.jpg

http://gawker.com/man-on-trial-for-...m_source=gawker_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

-Bug-

HBGPreloader

memberof - If that's a picture of your tat in you avatar, I have to say it looks pretty freakin' awesome.
However, as a small business owner, I've learned to separate what I like and what I believe my clients perceive to be "professional". And, sadly, I also believe it's a bit over the top - even though I am an artist too .
So, right wrong or otherwise, I could understand management's view.

Marne Vet

I feel for OP. How many hundreds, probably thousands drivers go out on route everyday with visible tattoos? In my building we have a handful of guys with neck tattoos which seems worse than hand tattoos, but also a dozen guys with hand and knuckle tattoos go out not covered up at all. Plenty of guys with calf tattoos and some with full sleeves. No one bats an eye, they were hired and made their 30 days with these tattoos, uncovered.

That being said...OP you do come across as a bit of a jerk, but I would too in your situation. You came here for help and hope and answers, some people have already given you some good advice but you are getting quite a nasty backlash that can't be easy to read. You are clearly very hungry to go driving and that sucks that you aren't getting that chance when so many people in different locals across the country have achieved what you want a shot at.

I don't know what your building is like, but over here the babyboomers are retiring faster than they can fill the seats. Guys with barely 1 year with the company are making seniority as FT cover drivers. Who knows maybe they will change their minds if when staffing goes to hell...good luck and try not let the anger and frustration consume you.

Those drivers with the tats you're describing are Grandfathered in before the change. UPS wants to present a better image to the public, and that is the image they have chosen that precludes visible tattoos on their service providers. Our opinions on what constitutes a "good image" over the tattoo debate is meaningless. It's not Democracy. UPS has made the decision, so it is what it is. What I still don't get is why anyone would get tattoos that are visible when you're dressed, considering how Society within the workforce feels about them. You don't tend to see people dressed in suits going into an office building with a tattoo on their neck unless their employment title is INMATE. Is that a stereotype? Absolutely. Do Fortune 500 companies give a damn whether or not you are the stereotype, or just look the part? If I wore baggy pants around my waist with my boxers showing, a thick gold chain with a clock on the end of it, and a baseball hat with a flat bill on sideways, would you A) think I was a student at an Ivy League school, or B) just some unemployed joker on his way to buy weed? If the Jordan's fit, wear 'em. Doesn't have to be true, but it's what people think that governs how companies dictate their policies on appearance. The OP could be the nicest guy in the world, but walk down a dark alley at night and see a guy with tats all up and down his arms and on his hands, and ladies you'll be grabbing that Pepper Spray and looking over your shoulder. :/

Notcool

that's why I only did half sleeves and back/chest/stomach. I have a lot of work but in places I can cover. People don't realize I have so much ink unless I show them. Thats the problem with tattooes on places people see. Your not a rockstar or tattoo artist or at a job that doesn't matter don't get tattooed were people can see. Im in NC too. not much ink at all in my hub. Although I know drivers in CA covered in tattoos and drive.

TheFigurehead

UPS wants to present a better image to the public

...but, of course, not by actually doing good business. Does UPS actually think all those folks that got their gifts a week after christmas during peak were concerned about their driver's tattoos? I'm willing to bet most of them would gladly have invited "The Lizardman" in out of the cold for hot chocolate if he delivered their kid's xmas gifts on time.

memberoflocal61

...but, of course, not by actually doing good business. Does UPS actually think all those folks that got their gifts a week after christmas during peak were concerned about their driver's tattoos? I'm willing to bet most of them would gladly have invited "The Lizardman" in out of the cold for hot chocolate if he delivered their kid's xmas gifts on time.

The funny thing is, i CAN BE a driver helper at peak, but not a driver

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality
Met him at the Boston tattoo convention. He's even more freaky in person. Bizarre guy.

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
To the OP---I am curious----how much $$$$$ have you spent on your tats so far?

Why would you ask him a question in a respectful manner, when you uploaded a picture of his tattoos (maroon.jpg, I can only guess you named it that) in the best tattoos thread?

It's clear you believe he's a maroon. Why would you waste your time asking such a question?

Oh nevermind, it was so you could chastise him on the "colossal" ($3k? Colossal?) waste of money. Thank goodness, your opinion counts for bollocks.

Some of the most wonderful people I've ever met have been covered in tattoos. Some of the biggest :censored2:s? Well, they just wouldn't understand.

Sent using a Potato