The Big News

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Not to get your hopes up, but what if all the changes and contractions and downsizing is in preparing for Express to be unionized? What if Fred sees the day when you really are all "pilots" and the diverting to Ground and downsizing of Express is an attempt to make the increased cost a "zero-sum" equation?

The shift to Ground is already happening. IMO, it's regardless of our status, as evidenced by FedEx setting-up the mechanisms (electronic and logistical) to make it happen. Express has become even more rule-bound lately, which I think is a ruse to get rid of as many employees as possible before the changeover. IMO,the 10% profit goal is also fake, because it isn't going to happen at Express, especially given the economy and high fuel costs. The lack of profit will be used to "justify" the changeover of E2 and XS to Ground.

Someone at the ramp told me that in their version of Frontline (Upclose), that FedEx made a big deal about their employee costs being 37% of the overhead "pie". 37% is actually a low cost of labor, and if you figure-in the exorbitant salaries and perks of the bloated Memphis bureaucracy, it is very low indeed. Like I said, start looking for a better car than you were previously. Maybe a Porsche.

vantexan

Not to get your hopes up, but what if all the changes and contractions and downsizing is in preparing for Express to be unionized? What if Fred sees the day when you really are all "pilots" and the diverting to Ground and downsizing of Express is an attempt to make the increased cost a "zero-sum" equation?
Then why go after older topped out couriers if a union would most likely increase pay for an even larger group anyways? Just a guess, but making us strictly overnight would probably mean too many employees for the work available. If they want to hold to the history of no layoffs at Express then subterfuge is their only option. So who would they like to get rid of? Mid-range employees who are being strung along forever? Or topped out employees who'll make considerably more year after year for some years to come? An official layoff might require them to layoff the least senior people, the cheapest employees. With the implementation of ROADS a senior courier's experience isn't as important either. Of course it's ludicrous to call FedEx a people company when people are thrown out in a bad economy to preserve profit margins.

Ricochet1a

Express employees should pull up the FY 10 annual report to shareholders and take a look at it. Here are some selected stats from the report and my comments.

1. Page 4 in reference to Ground, “We now deliver more than 50 percent of packages in two days or less and more than 80 percent in three days or less…”

This begs the question, why does Express need to continue ES service if Ground is able to pull this off? (Answer, it doesn’t need to.)

2. Page 4 still in reference to Ground, “FedEx Ground’s average daily volume… more than 3.5 million in FY 10”

3. Page 20 selected stats on Express:
Express worldwide average daily volume 3.5 million
Express US Domestic Overnight average daily volume 1.77 million
Express US Domestic Non-overnight average daily volume 867 thousand

As far as volume of packages moved (excluding freight), non-overnight volume U.S. domestic in the Express system constitutes approximately one-quarter of Express volume. Excluding international volume, non-overnight volume in the domestic U.S. is approximately one-third of Express U.S. domestic volume. Put another way, the typical U.S. full time Courier’s volume consists of two-thirds overnight and one-third non-overnight pieces.

4. Page 16 FedEx Corporation operating margin FY 10, 5.8%
5. Page 20 FedEx Express operating margin FY 10, 5.2%
6. Page 19 FedEx Express Revenues
U.S. Domestic Overnight = $7.2 Billion
U.S. Domestic Non-overnight = $2.6 Billion
International Priority = $7.1 Billion

“OTHER INTERSEGMENT TRANSACTIONS” (these total almost $2 BILLION in FY 10)
“Certain FedEx operating companies provide transportation and related services for other FedEx companies outside their reportable segment. Billings for such services are based on negotiated rates, which we believe approximate fair value, and are reflected as revenues of the billing segment.”

I included the above to illustrate that FedEx Corporation does indeed move money around from one segment to another (contrary to what some have suggested). The “related services” are provided on a cost schedule determined solely by FedEx; no open source competition is sought. A determination is made as to what is “fair value”, then that fee is assessed by the segment providing the service, against the “books” of the segment receiving the service. I wanted to get this nailed down for the doubters, who think that Express couldn’t move volume over to Ground, then pay whatever FedEx Corp determined to be “fair value” for the delivery of said volume. FedEx already engages in that sort of activity, it just doesn’t talk about it too much. The ground work already exists for one segment to perform “work” for another segment.

Analysis: Express is pulling its weight in FY10, generating a margin of 5.2% compared to 5.8% of FedEx Corporation as a whole. It is quite easy to see that revenues from non-overnight volume are rather small compared to all the other sources of revenue for Express – by my simple math, it comes up to about 12% of total revenue for Express. Important revenue, but in the greater scheme of things, small...

As most Couriers know, that non-overnight volume tends to be the bulkier, more time consuming volume to get off their truck. That volume takes up time for the Courier, disproportionate to the statistic of stop count or piece count.

Now… it has been established that FedEx moves “work” around from one segment to another (to get more favorable costs of performance). This is undisputable, read the annual report.

A typical Courier has about one-third of their delivery piece count taken up by non-overnight volume, which generates disproportionately small revenues for Express.

An Express Courier typically costs FedEx Corporation about double what it cost FedEx Corporation to have a non-employee Ground driver move a given piece.

Logic exercise…

Is it more efficient for Express to commit their Couriers (which are paid double that of Ground drivers) to delivery of one-third of their current volume (which brings in little real revenue, comparatively speaking), or to shift that delivery of that one-third of total Express volume over to Ground for delivery?

Next Question:

The Ground segment delivers approximately 3.5 million pieces a day in the U.S. Would the addition of an additional 867 thousand pieces cause any undue disruption to the Ground network as it currently exists? That additional volume would be a 25% increase in delivered volume for Ground….

It doesn’t take an MBA to figure this one out. Non-overnight volume is moved by Express as a “favor” to its customers, to enable them a lower cost alternative when they don’t need overnight service. Express makes its money on those doc bags and the international volume.

In a quest to squeeze “inefficiency” out to an even greater degree, the shifting of delivery of non-overnight volume to a lower cost solution is the proverbial “no-brainer”. Ground can easily expand its daily delivery by 25% with a few months of notice. Additional routes can be fitted into the current structure and away they go.

With the non-overnight volume shifted over to Ground for delivery, Express won’t have nearly as great a need for full-time Couriers. Initially Couriers can be dual tasked with a delivery then a pick-up route. Once the system is perfected, a gradual shift to a nearly pure part-time force can be made. This is made possible by the adoption of a key piece of technology which is already being tested and ironed out – ROADS. Couriers and be moved off the AM sort operation and replaced by handlers, who will be able to not only pull the belt, but also place the truck in stop order (just like UP S does – we all know how Express likes to copy UPS). Handlers will be hired into each station to perform the sort and used as a ready pool of Courier replacements.

Full timers will still be needed for extended rural routes, as swing Couriers and to provide an experience base (initially). As the system is perfected, the ratio of full-time to part-timer will drop (in typical stations) to about 1 in 6, possibly as low as 1 in 8 in stations without extended rural routes.

The doubters can continue to doubt all they want. What would be interesting in my opinion would be their painting of an alternative picture which would include full-time Couriers NOT being affected by any changes. Since it is a given at this point that the Couriers of Express won’t sign IBT union cards, the only thing the existing full-time Couriers can do is either accept going to part-time in the near future, or leaving – or hope they can get a route that requires a minimum of 8 hours to perform.

SmithBarney

I believe it... check this out.
http://www.fedex.com/Tracking?actio...ode=us&initial=x&tracknumbers=216641370155168
This is a Ground Package from CA to FL if its speed is any indication of what FedEx is up to...
2 days(1.5) to get cross country, it'll be delivered tomorrow... 3 days. Coast to coast.
FedEx definitely doesn't need e2 xs... all of FL is delivered in one day via Ground, and we've seen plenty of Volume
diverted to ground.. Why pay to Fly your package to Memphis(where weather delays happen all to often) for 35$ when you can send it ground and it'll be there the next day for $7

vantexan

Which makes me wonder, will those of us who have extended rts possibly lose them to more senior couriers when they start reorganizing stations? They might put all rts up for bid that are still full-time and after it all shakes out some FTers who are bumped from their rts will face going PT or quitting. I doubt they're going to fire most senior couriers first before reorganizing a station. They might be pushing out some topped out couriers now, but if the goal is to have mostly PTers some FTers are going to be displaced.

vantexan

Very good analysis R1a. I would change your last line to 7 hrs to perform. Highly unlikely a FT extended rt will get a full 40 if they keep current boundaries.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Ricochet that was quite the analysis. BZ, seriously.

I agree, it's very good. Fred is still going to have to fly E2 for long distance destinations, say LAX to NYC. There is no other way to get it there on time. Who brings that freight to the Ground location from the ramp? An Express RTD or one of the Pirates of The Caribbean crew? What are the legal ramifications of mixing the freight of 2 divisions that are supposed to be separate operations, but in reality, will be totally interdependent?

Ricochet1a

I agree, it's very good. Fred is still going to have to fly E2 for long distance destinations, say LAX to NYC. There is no other way to get it there on time. Who brings that freight to the Ground location from the ramp? An Express RTD or one of the Pirates of The Caribbean crew? What are the legal ramifications of mixing the freight of 2 divisions that are supposed to be separate operations, but in reality, will be totally interdependent?

There is no legal ramification for FedEx Corp...

“Certain FedEx operating companies provide transportation and related services for other FedEx companies outside their reportable segment. Billings for such services are based on negotiated rates, which we believe approximate fair value, and are reflected as revenues of the billing segment.”

In the FY 10 annual report to shareholders, FedEx freely admits to having segments doing "work" for each other. Does this get around the "spirit" of the RLA statute in regards to Express? Yes. Does it directly violate any law? No.

Fred is very adept at having his cake and eating it too. He defines each FedEx segment to give him the most advantageous position in regards to labor law for the employees (or misclassified non-employees) to be classified under. Then he turns around and has the segments contract out work to each other, while merely doing an accounting exercise of moving money from one set of books to another - while not having to engage in open source bidding.

One of my friends made a very astute observation in regards to FedEx's operating margin (mid-5% range).

With all the special advantages that FedEx Corp has, it should be clearing a 15% operating margin, not a 5% margin. If it wasn't for all the special deals, FedEx Corporation couldn't turn a profit if it wanted to. The business model is completely DEPENDENT on Fred receiving his special deals. If the special deals were pulled, FedEx would have massively reorganize to remain profitable - namely dumping a lot of the cubicle dwellers in Memphis (and a few others scattered across the country).

One of the things I'd be curious to see, is what is the ratio of cost of compensation of wage employees and their immediate management, to that of the cost of compensation of non-field management and the salaried support staffs. In military circles, this is referred to as the "tooth to tail ratio". I already know that FedEx has a rather large "tail" being pulled around by the tooth bearing portion, I'd just like to get some numbers to quantify that, then compare FedEx's to UPS's, ratio.

vantexan

Ricochet1a said:
With all the special advantages that FedEx Corp has, it should be clearing a 15% operating margin, not a 5% margin. If it wasn't for all the special deals, FedEx Corporation couldn't turn a profit if it wanted to. The business model is completely DEPENDENT on Fred receiving his special deals. If the special deals were pulled, FedEx would have massively reorganize to remain profitable - namely dumping a lot of the cubicle dwellers in Memphis (and a few others scattered across the country).

You sure about this? If FedEx can't make a profit without their special deals then how could they possibly pay us more and give us better benefits? And as close to the bone as they operate do you really believe they are carrying non-essential employees in Memphis? I'm not talking about a few whose jobs might be redundant but the many hundreds, if not thousands, you are alluding to. Don't they have a Cost Analysis Dept that reviews all hiring requests? Think how much more profitable FedEx would be with much lower fuel prices. I'm not defending them, just don't see them hiring non-essential personnel. Weren't quite a few mgrs a couple of years ago given the choice to relocate or leave the company?

Ricochet1a

Outside any minor differences in fuel cost due to MEM being able to get jet fuel in a bit more cheaply than the rest of the country (due to being just slightly up river from the refineries in LA), FedEx pays the same relative cost for fuel, same relative costs for technology and same relative costs for equipment purchases - as UPS does. UPS does have some economies of scale.

UPS delivers approximately 13 million pieces (uncertain if that is worldwide or US domestic). It delivers 2.2 million AIR pieces a day (believe this is US domestic). To compare FedEx directly, FedEx delivers 3.5 million by Ground and another 3.5 milliion by Express (using worldwide figures for Express). So UPS has roughly twice the throughput of FedEx Corporation.

While this does grant UPS a certain economy of scale when directly competing with FedEx Corp, it isn't enough to explain why FedEx isn't extremely more profitable when:

1. Express Couriers (roughly one quarter of Express employees) are compensated at a rate approximately half that of UPS drivers.

2. Ground drivers are misclassified and compensated at a rate approximately one-third that of UPS drivers - in some instances as low as one-quarter the rate.

3. All Express employees (except executive management and the pilots) lost their pension plan a few years ago and now get (for those under 50), 5% of their annual gross put into a fund controlled by FedEx. By the way, UPS drivers get 13% of the gross (up to 45 hours per week) put into their pension fund.

With just these three advantages I listed - keeping all other factors relatively equal between the companies - FedEx Corp should be running away from UPS - it isn't. With labor being the MAJOR component in UPS cost structure, but FedEx's being somewhere in the 40% range for Express - but higher for the Ground segment (not nearly the equipment and fuel overhead) - FedEx should be severely outpacing UPS. It isn't (right now at least). Give it a few years and it will...

So... I'll let you reach your own conclusion as to why FedEx isn't running away from UPS. It has the one-two punch of the RLA and the IC/ISP contractor model keeping its wage labor cost very low compared to UPS. Why aren't those savings showing up in the final operating margin? UPS moves volume by air - they seem to create a profit when doing it.

A small part of FedEx's problem is duplicated effort - having Ground and Express trucks covering the same territory. But there is no way around this and keep the RLA for Express, while paying the Ground drivers peanuts. It is an expense which FedEx accepts to get what it wants.

However, Ground has matured to the point where FedEx is comfortable enough to think about having Ground move some of its Express volume - kicking up the profitability of FedEx Corp. Its time for all those lobbying expenses and perks handed out to start paying for themselves in a big way...

The IBT and some of its membership don't see this storm coming their way. Once FedEx is able to start pulling in 10, 12.5 and possibly 15% operating margins once the economy picks up AND FedEx gets part of their restructuring underway, UPS will have no choice but to react - by slashing labor costs themselves in a BIG way.

I've stated it many times before on this forum, often times one MUST use inductive reasoning to get a better understanding of what is going on. Often times one can't point to something directly and have that "Eureka" moment, but rather must observe the condition of the whole - then combine that with knowledge which is in black and white to make an accurate assessment. It is definately easier when one has access to non-public information, but the dots can be put together with some observation, analysis and inductive reasoning.

So, I'll flip it back on you....

With FedEx Corporation having wage labor costs (combining Express and Ground in the picture) roughly half that of UPS, while having virtually all the other costs being identical - why isn't FedEx mopping up the floor with UPS? Is UPS really that much more efficient than FedEx Corp when it comes to moving volume? I don't think so...

I don't have detailed specs in front of me at this moment - so I'll use this thumbnail analysis:

Assume Express has TOTAL (salaried & wage) labor cost of 45% of its cost structure. I'm going to make a big assumption for this thumbnail analysis and state that half of it labor cost is wage labor. This would mean that wage labor is roughly 22.5% of total Express cost.

UPS has a TOTAL labor cost in the ballpark of 57% or so (again, no hard stats in front of me as I write, this is approximated from recollection). Doing some reverse calculations:

Since there are handlers, RTDs - Feeder drivers and others in the wage force of each company, the next assumption is real speculative, but assume that UPS ON AVERAGE pays their wage force roughly 50% more than FedEx Express does. Again, this is across ALL crafts - so particular crafts within each Express and UPS may be paid roughly equivalent compensation, while others may see a difference of upwards of double (typical Express Courier and UPS driver).

So if the corporate "game" were to be evened up, Express wage employees would need to have their compensation increased from 22.5% of Express expenses to what would be almost 34% of Express expenses. This would put a dent in Express' final margin of (simple subtraction) 34%-22.5% = 11.5%. Put another way, if Express wage employees were compensated at comparable levels as UPS wage employees, Express' final margin would be - using the data for FY 10...

5.2% - 11.5% = -6.3%

I hope some thoughs are racing through your head right now...

This is just thumbnail analysis, but it is easy to see that the current profitability of FedEx is due SOLELY to it lower wage employee compensation structure (which has been true since the late 90's, but really started to jump up after the pension expense was slashed).

Back to you...

There is about 10% missing there. FedEx should have a final margin that is 10 points highter than it is - or even UPS's. This means that somewhere within Express, there is an expense which FedEx is carrying which UPS isn't. UPS has aircraft purchasing expense, fuel expense, technology expense. UPS has expenses for all these items which Express has, and doesn't receive any special pricing. So where is the inefficiency within FedEx?

Hint, it is within the business model as structured.

Last edited:

Ricochet1a

Correction to last paragraph in post (timed out on ability to correct).

Replace : This means that somewhere within Express, there is an expense which FedEx is carrying which UPS isn't.

With : This means that somewhere within FedEx (as a whole), there is an expense which is being carried which UPS isn't carrying.

vantexan

I think having almost twice the daily volume, with most of their freight trucked, is where UPS is able to do more for their people. Certainly UPS has a central headquarters and regions and districts too. So it would require knowing how much staff each has before assuming FedEx is carrying alot of dead weight. I believe most UPS pilots are contract workers while ours are supposed to be the best paid pilots in the airline industry. We have a much higher cost per pkg, which comes down to overall volume with X overhead. Which ultimately begs the question, if they have X overhead, how are they going to better compensate Express employees? If anything compensation will improve on the Ground side since that's where the growth is. I'd really like to know what is happening on Sept. 1st, or was Quadro yanking our chain?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Given the much lower cost structure of FedEx Express relative to UPS (R1a's 45% sounds reasonable), a 5% profit margin is indeed puny. That would seem to indicate that Fred's company is horribly mis-managed, wouldn't it? As Ricochet astutely pointed-out, if FedEx didn't have all of it's advantages, it probably couldn't survive.

Fred S is perhaps the best example of just how corrupted our political system has become. You shouldn't be able to buy yourself a legislative "gift". So much for the Libertarian myth of the "Free Market".

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think having almost twice the daily volume, with most of their freight trucked, is where UPS is able to do more for their people. Certainly UPS has a central headquarters and regions and districts too. So it would require knowing how much staff each has before assuming FedEx is carrying alot of dead weight. I believe most UPS pilots are contract workers while ours are supposed to be the best paid pilots in the airline industry. We have a much higher cost per pkg, which comes down to overall volume with X overhead. Which ultimately begs the question, if they have X overhead, how are they going to better compensate Express employees? If anything compensation will improve on the Ground side since that's where the growth is. I'd really like to know what is happening on Sept. 1st, or was Quadro yanking our chain?

UPS pilots are employees, but in the past, they did use contracted pilots. Their compensation isn't far behind that of FedEx pilots.

bbsam

Staff member
Given the much lower cost structure of FedEx Express relative to UPS (R1a's 45% sounds reasonable), a 5% profit margin is indeed puny. That would seem to indicate that Fred's company is horribly mis-managed, wouldn't it? As Ricochet astutely pointed-out, if FedEx didn't have all of it's advantages, it probably couldn't survive.

Fred S is perhaps the best example of just how corrupted our political system has become. You shouldn't be able to buy yourself a legislative "gift". So much for the Libertarian myth of the "Free Market".
I'm not sure it's quite that simple. That profit margin shows only one number. It doesn't take into consideration reinvestment in the infrastructure, does it? The company could easily show a larger profit if it increased it's debt load, couldn't it?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I'm not sure it's quite that simple. That profit margin shows only one number. It doesn't take into consideration reinvestment in the infrastructure, does it? The company could easily show a larger profit if it increased it's debt load, couldn't it?

Just having the "gift" of a much lower labor structure should make both Express and Ground that much more profitable than UPS. To me, that indicates poor upper management. As I said recently, the UpClose video that Express Ramp employees see shows a 37% total cost for Express employee compensation. That is far lower than UPS. Time to shed some fat around the belly of "Elvis".