Xmas & New Years

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Ya I didn't think there was anything to file on but I did make it apparent about how crappy it was to have to work. We have earned that day off if we so choose.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yep they did pull the area knowledge card. They didn't want to send the new drivers on the blind. I had over 50 stops from the route next to mine, so essentially I was on the blind.

17 years FT. I think I earned that day over a driver in progression.

I would have been forced to work had I not been on vacation.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Ya I didn't think there was anything to file on but I did make it apparent about how crappy it was to have to work. We have earned that day off if we so choose.
I'm grieving it so it doesn't happen to me again. You can bet your butt that I will never show up on another Black Friday. Will cover my ass for never working a Saturday also.

babboo25

Banned
Unionized nurses, firefighters, police officers, etc., all have to work both of those days. Who should they thank?

My ex is an RN and would have to choose either Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Most of them don't work those holidays every year. Wife is a RN and brother in law a fireman. They rotate ALL holidays, if i had grown kids i would work for a coworker with small children, if that was possible.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Most of them don't work those holidays every year. Wife is a RN and brother in law a fireman. They rotate ALL holidays, if i had grown kids i would work for a coworker with small children, if that was possible.

...which is why I specified that she had to choose one or the other...older employees who did not have plans did offer to work for their younger co-workers with small children...

StoptheAct1212

Ok, christmas eve we all know the deal. part if the job. Stop bi tching but new years eve wont be bad...... if busy some will be forced......

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
All I am saying is that we should have it off over others who have only been there a year or two. I only have so many holidays left with my kiddos before they are off living their lives.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
They can ask me to work on Christmas eve and I can politely tell them to "Go to Hell".
I am still :censored2: about working Black Friday as there were numerous drivers off with less seniority. Have my grievance form filled out and ready to present on Tuesday morning.
Does your local have language about this?

In most locals seniority gives you the right to work. It does not give you the right not to work.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Unionized nurses, firefighters, police officers, etc., all have to work both of those days. Who should they thank?

My ex is an RN and would have to choose either Thanksgiving or Christmas.
Yes we know your ex is a nurse....we all really just want to know what your current significant other does ....

iowa boy

I would have been forced to work had I not been on vacation.

That's funny. Wednesday, our center manager told us that every fulltime would be working if not on vacation, no helpers, no seasonals. But come Friday morning, we layed off 3 drivers and told all top seniority that they had to work, even our Number 1 on the seniority list.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Yeah too bad that doesn't happen here.... Old timers with grown kids taking spring break off or they pull the 8 weeks straight in the summer and a 10-15 year driver with kids can't even get one week off to go somewhere before the kids go back to school...