1997 Strike. Old heads only. On Topic.

F

Frankie's Friend

I believe you do have some pr

what did we get after the strike was settled?In my option we got exactly what was in the offer before we struck minus the pension take over
No way this is true.
HMOs, performance based raises were not just in the second offer. The first offer was trash.

siouxman

siouxman
The big talk was ups taking over the pension.I don't remember some of the other details you have mentioned.What was your experience during this strike?

F

Frankie's Friend

The big talk was ups taking over the pension.I don't remember some of the other details you have mentioned.What was your experience during this strike?
I remember walking out with everyone. I remember how nasty the upper management (div and dist mgrs) got when they came to the strike line.

I remember the sheets of company offers they presented to us. No one budged.
I remember the div mgr asking us what we thought about the company proposals (that offered "performance based" raises) and we all just looked at each other knowing the crooked liars had harassed us for years over bogus garbage, screwed up our paychecks, and knew there was no way we'd ever trust them to be honest with our raises based on their "performance" standards.

In fact the div mgr got hateful with an employee who was tired of the management coming to the line and harassing us with their stupid proposals and finally said "all I know is you've lost $150,000 in the time it took me to drink this milkshake". The div mgr told him he'd like to shove that milkshake up the employee's ass.

At that moment the truth finally surfaced and everyone knew, thanks to the manager's threat, that they'd never trust the company with their raises or pension.

That's why the strike line held and the pension stayed with the union imo. After being harassed for years and years by management they now wanted trust.

Good luck with that then and now.

M

MenInBrown

I remember walking out with everyone. I remember how nasty the upper management (div and dist mgrs) got when they came to the strike line.

I remember the sheets of company offers they presented to us. No one budged.
I remember the div mgr asking us what we thought about the company proposals (that offered "performance based" raises) and we all just looked at each other knowing the crooked liars had harassed us for years over bogus garbage, screwed up our paychecks, and knew there was no way we'd ever trust them to be honest with our raises based on their "performance" standards.

In fact the div mgr got hateful with an employee who was tired of the management coming to the line and harassing us with their stupid proposals and finally said "all I know is you've lost $150,000 in the time it took me to drink this milkshake". The div mgr told him he'd like to shove that milkshake up the employee's ass.

At that moment the truth finally surfaced and everyone knew, thanks to the manager's threat, that they'd never trust the company with their raises or pension.

That's why the strike line held and the pension stayed with the union imo. After being harassed for years and years by management they now wanted trust.

Good luck with that then and now.
It’s that same harassment year after year that no one I know is voting yes. Roles reversed, I would love nothing more to tell my dog manager, you can shove that paper up your ass.

Inthegame

Gotta laugh to keep from crying sometimes.
I didnt mean that 22.4s would take over the existing 22.3 jobs but instead they would be implemented instead of future (new) 22.3 jobs.
Right but either way, it is additional FT jobs. My displeasure is pkg work would be piecemealed out and become a part time gig.
Never the intent of the original 22.3 concept and our guys at the table somehow missed that. Here's a hint...Art 22 PART TIME

F

Frankie's Friend

Right but either way, it is additional FT jobs. My displeasure is pkg work would be piecemealed out and become a part time gig.
Never the intent of the original 22.3 concept and our guys at the table somehow missed that. Here's a hint...Art 22 PART TIME
I believe, from what we've read and discussed in our groups, that most of the outcry is due to the union allowing language to dilute the package car classification work and most believe, like other language the company ignores or abuses, that it is the beginning of a downward slide for PC drivers.

25TOLIFE

Was young and had hair way back then. My kids were babies. Picked up a few painting jobs and worked nights for a competitor, at union scale, to make ends meet. Yelling obscenities at the bosses was enough to make it all worth while. Nearby companies would drop off food and we had the public's support. Local restaurant had $5.00 dinners and $2.00 tap beers for the picketers right next door to the building. Not sure if that would be the case today. Everyone out for themself nowadays. God forbid some :censored2: does not get his Amazon delivery within 48 hours. I really think life was a little simpler a short 21 years ago. Had the strike gone on longer I'm sure my experience would have been way different.