1997 Strike. Old heads only. On Topic.

siouxman

siouxman
I am in the package division and really not up to date on the new feeder language in this contract, I do not remember saying anything about Rail or Brokers. If there is any gain in full time jobs it is a plus I agree whole hardly with that statement.

I am in the Central and all our part timers are under the UPS Pension Plan. I noticed that if everybody is getting a 1 dollar increase total in our benefit plans and the part timers are only getting a .30 cent hourly increase in Health and Welfare is that remaining .70 cent hourly increase going toward their Pension? If so why wasn't their pension increased in the same manner as the most of the full timers, seems strange.

Correct the CSPF would be in worse shape if it wasn't for those 10,000 new inside jobs created after the "97" strike.

I should of posed the question better and put "Will the hourly increase of .50 cents annually be able to maintain or improve our Pension and Health and Welfare benefits?" (We really cannot see till all the Supplements and Riders are in), there is still a lot of TBA language under Article 34 regarding our benefit packages. If Healthcare cost goes down we win, if it increases we lose, we can't predict the future.

Most of us are reacting to half truths, rumors and lack of any true information so give grace to a lot of us who are spouting off, or grinding their axes. I believe that this contract is going to be extended for a long, long time, everybody be prepared for this. How it plays out will be interesting.
The pension fund was doomed at that time in hind sight.In the long run those jobs made little difference to the the fund

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
The pension fund was doomed at that time in hind sight.In the long run those jobs made little difference to the the fund

I would have to agree with that for 2 reasons.

First would be, any contributions from those jobs wouldn't have been paid to

Central States fund until the year 2000.

Second, Central States cut the accrual rate in 2002 from 2% to 1%.

The writing was already on the wall prior to that.

Inthegame

I would have to agree with that for 2 reasons.

First would be, any contributions from those jobs wouldn't have been paid to

Central States fund until the year 2000.

Second, Central States cut the accrual rate in 2002 from 2% to 1%.

The writing was already on the wall prior to that.

The CSPF struggles were masked by the hot market of the '90s.
IMO the critical blow occurred with the expansion of the "service" pensions to all, an irresponsible political move.
I know of no plan that didn't stress over that scheme, as plans were designed to be age specific.
Add in two severe markets downturns 2002 and 2008 (the big one) and the patient went on life support.

Inthegame

I am in the Central and all our part timers are under the UPS Pension Plan. I noticed that if everybody is getting a 1 dollar increase total in our benefit plans and the part timers are only getting a .30 cent hourly increase in Health and Welfare is that remaining .70 cent hourly increase going toward their Pension? If so why wasn't their pension increased in the same manner as the most of the full timers, seems strange.
Your answer is in Art 34. It's toward the bottom but the entire language sets the parameters.

ARTICLE 34. HEALTH & WELFARE AND PENSION Section 1. (a)(i) Except as set forth in this Section 1(a), Health & Welfare and/ or pension contributions shall be increased by forty dollars ($40.00) per week on August 1, 20183 and each subsequent August 1st during the life of the contract. Where the employees are covered by both Teamster Health & Welfare and Pension Funds in a Supplement, Rider or Addendum, the weekly health & welfare and pension contributions shall be allocated by the respective Joint Supplemental Area Negotiating Committees, subject to the approval of the Joint National Negotiating Committee. (ii)(1) In those Supplements, Riders or Addenda, where the fulltime or part-time employees are covered by, the Central States Health &Welfare Plan TeamCare and a pension plan sponsored by the Employer, the hourly increase for amount of money set forth on Section 1(a) above to be allocated for Health & Welfare for these fulltime employees as follows: August 1, 2013 fifty cents ($0.50) August 1, 2014 fifty cents ($0.50) August 1, 2015 fifty cents ($0.50) August 1, 2016 (TBD based on Central States’ cost) August 1, 2017 (TBD based on Central States’ cost) August 1, 2018 ($0.50) August 1, 2019 ($0.50) August 1, 2020 ($0.50) August 1, 2021 (TBD based on TeamCare costs, not to exceed $0.70) August 1, 2022 (TBD based on TeamCare costs, not to exceed $0.70) The rates shall be as follows for covered part-time employees: August 1, 2018 ($0.30) August 1, 2019 ($0.30) August 1, 2020 ($0.30) August 1, 2021 (TBD based on TeamCare costs, not to exceed $0.50) August 1, 2022 (TBD based on TeamCare costs, not to exceed $0.50) 2) For years 20183 through 202115, the remaining fifty cents ($0.50) will be allocated to the applicable Taft-Hartley Pension Plan or the UPS/IBT Pension Plan, as applicable. The health and welfare contribution increases in 2016 and 2017 2021 and 2022 will be based on TeamCare Central States actual costs. In those two years, the applicable Taft-Hartley Pension Plan or the UPS/IBT Pension Plan, as applicable, will receive for a pension allocation the differential between the increase to TeamCare Central States Health & Welfare Plan (CS H&W) and one dollar ($1.00). This paragraph shall be applied to the part-time employee contributions in the same manner except in the first three (3) years the remaining amount shall be seventy cents ($0.70). For part-time employees the differential in the last two (2) years will be determined based on the fifty cent ($0.50) maximum.

no_map_needed

Knowledge is key, Experience is power.
I feel so lucky not being under CS. I feel sorry for you guys out there always having to worry about your pension and hw.

F

Frankie's Friend

IDK whether the amount is enough, but you proposed the union wasn't doing anything.
If the 22.4 scheme is approved those also will be FT jobs and bennies.
Any increase in funding is better than no increase.

How many 22.3 jobs wouldve been created from 8-1-18 thru the life of the new CBA if the 22.4 jobs weren't replacing them?

Am I off track here?

F

Frankie's Friend

ARTICLE 34. HEALTH & WELFARE AND PENSION Section 1. (a)(i) Except as set forth in this Section 1(a), Health & Welfare and/ or pension contributions shall be increased by forty dollars ($40.00) per week on August 1, 20183 and each subsequent August 1st during the life of the contract. Where the employees are covered by both Teamster Health & Welfare and Pension Funds in a Supplement, Rider or Addendum, the weekly health & welfare and pension contributions shall be allocated by the respective Joint Supplemental Area Negotiating Committees, subject to the approval of the Joint National Negotiating Committee. (ii)(1) In those Supplements, Riders or Addenda, where the fulltime or part-time employees are covered by, the Central States Health &Welfare Plan TeamCare and a pension plan sponsored by the Employer, the hourly increase for amount of money set forth on Section 1(a) above to be allocated for Health & Welfare for these fulltime employees as follows: August 1, 2013 fifty cents ($0.50) August 1, 2014 fifty cents ($0.50) August 1, 2015 fifty cents ($0.50) August 1, 2016 (TBD based on Central States’ cost) August 1, 2017 (TBD based on Central States’ cost) August 1, 2018 ($0.50) August 1, 2019 ($0.50) August 1, 2020 ($0.50) August 1, 2021 (TBD based on TeamCare costs, not to exceed $0.70) August 1, 2022 (TBD based on TeamCare costs, not to exceed $0.70) The rates shall be as follows for covered part-time employees: August 1, 2018 ($0.30) August 1, 2019 ($0.30) August 1, 2020 ($0.30) August 1, 2021 (TBD based on TeamCare costs, not to exceed $0.50) August 1, 2022 (TBD based on TeamCare costs, not to exceed $0.50) 2) For years 20183 through 202115, the remaining fifty cents ($0.50) will be allocated to the applicable Taft-Hartley Pension Plan or the UPS/IBT Pension Plan, as applicable. The health and welfare contribution increases in 2016 and 2017 2021 and 2022 will be based on TeamCare Central States actual costs. In those two years, the applicable Taft-Hartley Pension Plan or the UPS/IBT Pension Plan, as applicable, will receive for a pension allocation the differential between the increase to TeamCare Central States Health & Welfare Plan (CS H&W) and one dollar ($1.00). This paragraph shall be applied to the part-time employee contributions in the same manner except in the first three (3) years the remaining amount shall be seventy cents ($0.70). For part-time employees the differential in the last two (2) years will be determined based on the fifty cent ($0.50) maximum.
I wont be here that long.

Inthegame

How many 22.3 jobs wouldve been created from 8-1-18 thru the life of the new CBA if the 22.4 jobs weren't replacing them?

Am I off track here?
That would depend on what was negotiated. If the 22.3 parameters were adjusted to allow pkg driver work,(22.4) there would be plenty.

F

Frankie's Friend

That would depend on what was negotiated. If the 22.3 parameters were adjusted to allow pkg driver work,(22.4) there would be plenty.
What I'm saying is that replacing one full time job with another is not major progress unless I'm missing something.

(Note: PayPal is temporarily off line.)

Inthegame

What I'm saying is that replacing one full time job with another is not major progress unless I'm missing something.

(Note: PayPal is temporarily off line.)
22.4's aren't replacing.

Now before you poke your inthegame voodoo doll, I think delivering pkgs at anything less than full rate is wrong.

Very few pkg driver's prefer a T-S schedule if a M-friend is available.

The 22.4 language needs some work, but the concept addresses the issue.

But my main issue is no pkg work, including air driving, should be done by pt's.

It allows the FT understaffing to continue and grow. The IBT apparently missed that.

F

Frankie's Friend

Now before you poke your inthegame voodoo doll, I think delivering pkgs at anything less than full rate is wrong.
20180720_225838.jpg

Feel anything yet?
Making sure you get the point so to speak.

F

Frankie's Friend

Did I not read that there would not be anymore new (future) 22.3 jobs created but 22.4s would begin instead upon ratification?

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

You're on a roll tonight...
Gotta laugh to keep from crying sometimes.
I didnt mean that 22.4s would take over the existing 22.3 jobs but instead they would be implemented instead of future (new) 22.3 jobs.

siouxman

siouxman
I believe you do have some pr
The company proposals sucked and it was Not about just pensions.
HMOs, performances based raises, increased subcontracting are also a few show stoppers.
what did we get after the strike was settled?In my option we got exactly what was in the offer before we struck minus the pension take over

siouxman

siouxman
I believe you do have some pr

what did we get after the strike was settled?In my option we got exactly what was in the offer before we struck minus the pension take over
Strikes are a double edged sword.It gave rise to new competion (RPS) and more regional carriers.Striking should be a last resort.It takes years to get over the animosity management and the workers have for each other.We also hurt a lot of small business who went broke because of the strike.I remember talking to my custumers not to use ups during strike and most supported us. In today's internet economy we would not get much sympathy and after the strike we would lose many customers.I hear some here say who cares if we have no public support,well it makes all the difference. Don't be in a hurry to strike,it's no fun walking the line not knowing the future.Vote your wishes and if it goes down have patience. The key is for both sides to keep talking and remember it is collective bargaining we will not get everything we want

Last edited: