2018 Contract leaks

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Been told that they are wanting to go no pay raise over the next contract, but in turn give us an extra week of vacation? Anyone else hear this rumor?

Math is here to save the day!

$35.71 X 45hrs = $1607.00

$1607.00 / 52weeks = $30.90

$30.90 / 45hrs (OT not calculated like vacation) = .68hr

.68hr raise on day one of the contract with no further raises

No :censored2:ing way

CoolStoryBro

I will vote no on any contract that does not give raises that at least meet or beat inflation. I can live with a 2% per year raise. This is all I care about in the upcoming contract. There exists no compromise, IMHO.

Ms.PacMan

Math is here to save the day!

$35.71 X 45hrs = $1607.00

$1607.00 / 52weeks = $30.90

$30.90 / 45hrs (OT not calculated like vacation) = .68hr

.68hr raise on day one of the contract with no further raises

No :censored2:ing way

Wouldn't it be more like $.68/yr because it would be an extra week of vaca every year.

Idk what I think of that proposal.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Wouldn't it be more like $.68/yr because it would be an extra week of vaca every year.

Idk what I think of that proposal.
Well I was just stating it would be .68 for the whole contract per year, not .68 raise every year, the hourly rate stays the same because the vacation time stays the same.

The only way we’d get more is if they gave us more vacation weeks each year, if not, the calculation stays the same starting each year.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
I would be OK with it. But, only if they cover the pension with a guarantee of no cuts
You’d literally get a .68 raise day one, with no subsequent ones following through the rest of the contract. I broke down what an extra week of vacation is worth per year, with no increase of vacations per year besides the one.

Ms.PacMan

You’d literally get a .68 raise day one, with no subsequent ones following through the rest of the contract. I broke down what an extra week of vacation is worth per year, with no increase of vacations per year besides the one.
Maybe I'm too tired to think straight but it would be .68 every year of the contract. Your math calculation every year.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Maybe I'm too tired to think straight but it would be .68 every year of the contract. Your math calculation every year.
Correct, so the only raise would be the first one, at .68, for the entire 5 years.

There are no subsequent raises because there is no subsequent increase in vacation weeks (think money)

clean hairy

So we have later start times because UPS will not spend the money on infrastructure (more, bigger, updated facilities, more vehicles) and personnel...more routes and drivers etc.

It is a calculated business decision at some level, to save them money. Drivers don't see their kids anymore because the decision makers are uncaring greedy bastards.

At least at contract time comparing us to mail carriers (who are off by 4:30) carries even less weight.
During the week, my mail shows up around 5:15 every day, earlier on Saturdays. Today though, (Sat Dec 2nd) my mail showed up after 7:45.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Correct, so the only raise would be the first one, at .68, for the entire 5 years.

There are no subsequent raises because there is no subsequent increase in vacation weeks (think money)
?????
I want 2 or 3 yr contracts. This 5 yr contract is too long. The delivery world is changing too fast for longer contracts.

As a 29 yr driver with only 4 weeks vacation. (Casual my first 10 yrs). Any extra time off. I'm for it.

I would be happy with 4 10's in delivery. With some ot occasionally.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
?????
I want 2 or 3 yr contracts. This 5 yr contract is too long. The delivery world is changing too fast for longer contracts.

As a 29 yr driver with only 4 weeks vacation. (Casual my first 10 yrs). Any extra time off. I'm for it.

I would be happy with 4 10's in delivery. With some ot occasionally.
You have 29 years in and only 4 weeks? Ugh

3 done 3 to go

Contracts are expensive to negotiate and short term contracts do not provide the stability our major shippers want.

Maybe if they stop meeting at the posh resorts for drinks and dinner. It would be cheaper. Actually make them uncomfortable. So they want to get the hell outta there.. Maybe we'd get a good contract finally

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
Yes. A deal the union made for ups benefit. Another reason they never get a yes vote from me.
Next year is my 25th, I’ll get my 6th week. I’m in the NE Supplement. Sean O has done a magnificent job negotiating our supplement the last few contracts. It’s so unfortunate he will not be negotiating the master (this time). But I have a feeling that he will be Chairing the following ones!

3 done 3 to go

Next year is my 25th, I’ll get my 6th week. I’m in the NE Supplement. Sean O has done a magnificent job negotiating our supplement the last few contracts. It’s so unfortunate he will not be negotiating the master (this time). But I have a feeling that he will be Chairing the following ones!

Don't be quite sure about 5 yrs away. Health reasons, fluke things or a skeleton in the closet, like we have going on in the world today.

clean hairy

Maybe if they stop meeting at the posh resorts for drinks and dinner. It would be cheaper. Actually make them uncomfortable. So they want to get the hell outta there.. Maybe we'd get a good contract finally
Take them out to the middle of the desert.
Give them tents, sleeping bags, cookstoves, and nothing but Spam to eat.
Good environment to get work done with no distractions!
Oh! And a flare gun to shoot off when they have reached an agreement. And, no cellphones!
They just might reach an agreement in record time given those circumstances!