2022 step increase

MAKAVELI

I’m sure there will be a step increase this year. Or more. I understand the distrust from people. The 2 - not 3 or 4 years without a step took integrity out of the plan. Then last year when it was finally a good year FedEx dropped the ball when 2 steps were warranted.

And not everyone is on a step program. Measly 3% raises last year and NOTHING for top out until there was enough backlash don’t give anyone warm and fuzzies. The targeted pay actions starting people higher in range or at step 4 or 5 are permanent. The premiums must be also or staffing will crater. They know this.

I doubt the fundamental problems are addressed adequately this year, but assuredly there will be an increase equal to or greater than a step.
Giving at least a step and decent COLA to top along with throwing Estar in the trash where it belongs would go a long way in building that trust back and gain more dedicated workers

fedx

Extra Large Package
Yep. We got the “we know it’s a problem” garbage for 10 years in meetings regarding time it takes to top out. “We’re working on a solution” for over a decade. It was such an issue on the SFA that they stopped asking the question. Then they roll out this big plan to fix the progression problem, and top people out way faster. And it did nothing. Nobody is topping out faster… nobody.

FedEx should account for wage raises into their formula of what to charge for shipments. It should be factored in automatically. Just like virtually all companies, big and small, factor in paying by credit cards into their price. That's why some businesses will give you a cash discount if you don't pay by credit card. They've already factored in the 3% credit card fee into their price. FedEx should have the foresight to factor in wage raises into their formula of what they charge for their service, but apparently they don't. Every year it's up in the air if they will give any sort of a raise. That tells me they're seriously mismanaged at the top.

Maui

The premiums can’t be permanent. Not everyone is getting it. I do however see a massive problem in taking the premium pay away. How could they without tanking already struggling stations. If it stays permanent it’ll probably just be considered a new market level or something idk.
The way it's been discussed is that it will be permanent. I imagine at some point it would be rolled into the pay plan for the market somehow.

Aquaman

FedEx should account for wage raises into their formula of what to charge for shipments. It should be factored in automatically. Just like virtually all companies, big and small, factor in paying by credit cards into their price. That's why some businesses will give you a cash discount if you don't pay by credit card. They've already factored in the 3% credit card fee into their price. FedEx should have the foresight to factor in wage raises into their formula of what they charge for their service, but apparently they don't. Every year it's up in the air if they will give any sort of a raise. That tells me they're seriously mismanaged at the top.
You’re right. Wage increases don’t seem to be part of the plan. It’s not in the budget. And it’s not a priority. It’s a “we’ll see when we get there” part of their business. It’s not a matter of how the company did that year… they look at the whole damn world. The international issues affect our raise. Economical uncertainties affect our raise. The political landscape affects our raise. They cast the widest net possible for excuses…

Maui

But then what do you do for the stations that never got it?
They don't get it? Surprising as it may seem there are markets that are B0 without any premium that have no trouble hiring and being fully staffed.

I'd like to see improvement in overall comp in all markets and a compression in steps to top out. 5 years is very reasonable. I think the kind of work being done is more valuable than the labor is priced, especially to recruit and keep good people.

fedx

Extra Large Package
They don't get it? Surprising as it may seem there are markets that are B0 without any premium that have no trouble hiring and being fully staffed.

I'd like to see improvement in overall comp in all markets and a compression in steps to top out. 5 years is very reasonable. I think the kind of work being done is more valuable than the labor is priced, especially to recruit and keep good people.

I'm not aware of any ramps like that and I'm in a B0. We also don't have any premium pay either. We've been way, way understaffed for months now. They've been hiring temps at the local temp agency to get staffing up. I also heard FedEx is now telling everyone that volume is way down at all but a handful of ramps. Can you name a B0 ramp that is fully staffed, because I sure can't? And you can't count temps as being fully staffed. Funny how they have money to raise their dividend to investors and to hire temps, but not for raises.

Buhryein

But then what do you do for the stations that never got it?
Not saying I'd agree at all but all they would have to do is say.. XXXX station is losing the premium pay but they are moving from b0 to b2 stations that weren't getting the premium will remain at their current market level because we do not believe that market requires a market level adjustment.

purplelife

I see people talk about jumping ship from courier to
Not saying I'd agree at all but all they would have to do is say.. XXXX station is losing the premium pay but they are moving from b0 to b2 stations that weren't getting the premium will remain at their current market level because we do not believe that market requires a market level adjustment.
They are supposedly working on getting rid of B0 all together, but that's been said for about a year now.

El Morado Diablo

I'm not aware of any ramps like that and I'm in a B0. We also don't have any premium pay either. We've been way, way understaffed for months now. They've been hiring temps at the local temp agency to get staffing up. I also heard FedEx is now telling everyone that volume is way down at all but a handful of ramps. Can you name a B0 ramp that is fully staffed, because I sure can't? And you can't count temps as being fully staffed. Funny how they have money to raise their dividend to investors and to hire temps, but not for raises.

Our ramp is a B0. They've been severely understaffed for years but FedEx wouldn't raise wages. They were so understaffed that they finally quit flying the freight to our station and used a contractor to do a 2nd truck run. That led to them making the decision to change the service levels (dropped from AM to PM, and PM to Remote) at our station, permanently cancel inbound flights, etc.

A month after these changes were implemented they finally raised wages at the ramp and moved everyone Step 1-3 to Step 4 in the station in that city. Everyone is asking why didn't they make these changes first before downgrading service in stations served by the ramp?

The effect it's had to the downline stations is telling. P1 volume has more than doubled since SO service has been eliminated. FE's are waaaay down because most FT couriers get about 6.5 hours per day due to the time between inbound and outbound operation being squeezed. Some of the downline stations have lost customers on the pick-up side due to the changes.

There is nothing like having 9+% inflation and getting your hours cut to minimums while the company is making extra money off P1's and less hours. Lots of people are going to quit if they don't see a significant pay action in October.

Our ramp is a B0. They've been severely understaffed for years but FedEx wouldn't raise wages. They were so understaffed that they finally quit flying the freight to our station and used a contractor to do a 2nd truck run. That led to them making the decision to change the service levels (dropped from AM to PM, and PM to Remote) at our station, permanently cancel inbound flights, etc.

A month after these changes were implemented they finally raised wages at the ramp and moved everyone Step 1-3 to Step 4 in the station in that city. Everyone is asking why didn't they make these changes first before downgrading service in stations served by the ramp?

The effect it's had to the downline stations is telling. P1 volume has more than doubled since SO service has been eliminated. FE's are waaaay down because most FT couriers get about 6.5 hours per day due to the time between inbound and outbound operation being squeezed. Some of the downline stations have lost customers on the pick-up side due to the changes.

There is nothing like having 9+% inflation and getting your hours cut to minimums while the company is making extra money off P1's and less hours. Lots of people are going to quit if they don't see a significant pay action in October.
They should just put a DEX 08 on the inbound like our station does. We had 1700 dec 01’s Friday because we had nobody to run the routes. SAL placed a dex 01 on the pkgs and the manager went behind him and done a dex 08 on all the freight to hide their failure. Yeah the senior mgr allowed it. I thought blatant falsification was ground for immediate termination. No wonder our customers hate us and just another reason why hourly employees has lost all faith and trust in this company and management.

purplelife

They should just put a DEX 08 on the inbound like our station does. We had 1700 dec 01’s Friday because we had nobody to run the routes. SAL placed a dex 01 on the pkgs and the manager went behind him and done a dex 08 on all the freight to hide their failure. Yeah the senior mgr allowed it. I thought blatant falsification was ground for immediate termination. No wonder our customers hate us and just another reason why hourly employees has lost all faith and trust in this company and management.
I mean that's usually pretty easy to catch since there are reports for that. What district?

Aquaman

I don’t think the premium pay had much to do with how bad your station was actually struggling. There are plenty of stations dying that didn’t get the bump in pay. I think it had everything to do with whether or not your senior manager filled out the proper paperwork and asked for it.. early enough.

I mean that's usually pretty easy to catch since there are reports for that. What district?
Only if someone is looking, it’s a house of cards waiting to fall. No MD or Sr Mgr wants to look bad so it just gets a blind eye and business as usual. If the investors did a forensic review of all internal reporting metrics they would be shocked at the extent of company coverup.

McFeely

Huge Member

We have a few stations within ~45 minutes of me that are all B1 pay grade. 2 of which don’t have a premium right now and are failing miserably. 1 other one has done just fine overall over the last couple of years. And the last 1 was possibly the worst performer in the district but just got premium pay about 2 months ago and seems to be on the mend.

2 of those stations I know are having HUGE staffing issues with ops managers as well. One senior manager who did absolutely nothing about staffing is no longer with the company. I’m guessing they were asked to leave given the staffing and Dex 01 rate, but I don’t know first hand.

And if they don’t think staffing needs addressing? They’re flying in couriers from out of state to run routes. Like I said earlier, their contingency plans are more expensive than the real solution to the problem. 🤷‍♂️

El Morado Diablo

I don’t think the premium pay had much to do with how bad your station was actually struggling. There are plenty of stations dying that didn’t get the bump in pay. I think it had everything to do with whether or not your senior manager filled out the proper paperwork and asked for it.. early enough.

It wasn't our station that got the bump in pay. It was the station in the same city as the ramp. We are a feeder station 3 hrs away that was affected by constantly late freight. That's why they changed the commitment times to improve service. FedEx got better service numbers and more P1 volume. As employees, all we got were less hours.

purplelife

It wasn't our station that got the bump in pay. It was the station in the same city as the ramp. We are a feeder station 3 hrs away that was affected by constantly late freight. That's why they changed the commitment times to improve service. FedEx got better service numbers and more P1 volume. As employees, all we got were less hours.
Sounds oddly familiar