2022 step increase

yadig

I work a lot of ot at my ramp due too being understaffed. Haven’t worked a weekend in years and gross 90 - 100k last 3 years. I’d blame it on the low starting pay, high turn over due to a 20 year top out but it’s mainly incompetent management and senior management. I could care less if they get bonuses! I’m getting my money and they get there’s! Sinking ship?

Aquaman

How much do you charge to work really hard and how much do you charge to just dink around
Trying to get a feel for where we’re at here
After 16 years… within $5 of our biggest competitor would be a start. Currently at $15/hr less than UPS top rate. So that’s the quality of work they get.

yadig

I find it comical that people on this forum, mostly hour employees are talking about work ethic. I’m not talking bout the far superior salaried employees like dano, she’s way above my pay grade. What about the low wages, crappy insurance? Let’s not forget they’ve taken away split shift, shift differential pay, traditional pension. Do any of y’all get a little pissed bout that? How bout UPS are they following suit with FedEx? Why not? UNION! They would if they could. This company will fail in its current state. I can’t wait to see what Shaw does

Nolimitz

I used to work for a F500 company here that had a real profit sharing plan. It started out w/ monthly pay outs (went to quarterly) for all employees down to the company janitors. During high profit quarters it would be almost equal to your earnings for the qtr before taxes. Did the big boys get more? sure, but we had a workforce that was motivated and extremely high retention rate. Oh did I mention stock options every year for everybody.
Was it FedEx or even Federal Express? NOT! Got burnt out after 20 yrs and yup failed w a business startup in 08... 3-4 months and bye bye FDX...

purplelife

This is an updated pay progression chart that was proposed by my team.
Shorten the steps overall.
Increase the starting pay.
4 x 10 cover driver would get a premium like feeder agents would.
Swing drivers would be top range to hopefully get people to want to be swings.
Top of range for all employees goes up a few bucks.

Obviously it's not UPS pay but we don't do the same amount of work from the UPS drivers I've talked to.
20220823_014228.jpg

Aquaman

Obviously it's not UPS pay but we don't do the same amount of work from the UPS drivers I've talked to.
View attachment 397380
Do you even work for Express? What is a feeder agent? Are you talking about RTD’s? They’re on a 5 step progression now… why would you suggest they go to 8 steps? Also starting pay for RTD’s is more than that…. I have zero doubt you work for express. This is just how clueless people are here haha.

purplelife

Do you even work for Express? What is a feeder agent? Are you talking about RTD’s? They’re on a 5 step progression now… why would you suggest them going to & steps? Also starting pay for RTD’s is more than that…. I have zero doubt you work for express. This is just how clueless people are here haha.
Feeder agents are couriers that handle aircraft duties at stations. Surprisingly you might not know there are numerous stations that receive freight from aircraft that aren't ramps, when that happens you need feeder agents.
Pretty much half of the stations throughout the Midwest are like this.
Do you work in a larger city?

purplelife

Feeder agents are couriers that handle aircraft duties at stations. Surprisingly you might not know there are numerous stations that receive freight from aircraft that aren't ramps, when that happens you need feeder agents.
Pretty much half of the stations throughout the Midwest are like this.
Do you work in a larger city?
So yes, I'm with express, for quite awhile actually and in management for a good chunk also. Banging my head against the corporate wall due to sfa feedback regarding pay for the past few years. Trying to split the difference between ups and fdx pay for all positions, whether people know them or not.

purplelife

Do you even work for Express? What is a feeder agent? Are you talking about RTD’s? They’re on a 5 step progression now… why would you suggest they go to 8 steps? Also starting pay for RTD’s is more than that…. I have zero doubt you work for express. This is just how clueless people are here haha.
So yeah, it is funny how clueless people are on here.

Aquaman

So yes, I'm with express, for quite awhile actually and in management for a good chunk also. Banging my head against the corporate wall due to sfa feedback regarding pay for the past few years. Trying to split the difference between ups and fdx pay for all positions, whether people know them or not.
Yes I’m in a bigger city. Never heard of a feeder agent courier. Problem isn’t the payscale though. It’s consistency. Had they implemented the step plan and followed it every year since, nobody would have a problem here. But they didn’t. They weaseled up a plan that looked good on paper with no obligation or motivation to follow that plan. So it doesn’t matter how much the plan is shrunk. 10 steps to 8. Or 8 steps to 5 steps. You can make the gaps between steps bigger all you want… it’s still just a plan on paper the company doesn’t have to or want to stick to. It’s nothing more than a hiring tool. There’s no trust there among employees that the company will follow through with anything they announce. So stop trying to make your employees happy on paper and fight for the raises already on the paper.

purplelife

Yes I’m in a bigger city. Never heard of a feeder agent courier. Problem isn’t the payscale though. It’s consistency. Had they implemented the step plan and followed it every year since, nobody would have a problem here. But they didn’t. They weaseled up a plan that looked good on paper with no obligation or motivation to follow that plan. So it doesn’t matter how much the plan is shrunk. 10 steps to 8. Or 8 steps to 5 steps. You can make the gaps between steps bigger all you want… it’s still just a plan on paper the company doesn’t have to or want to stick to. It’s nothing more than a hiring tool. There’s no trust there among employees that the company will follow through with anything they announce. So stop trying to make your employees happy on paper and fight for the raises already on the paper.
True.
No matter what pay plan that is put in they can and will change it more than likely unless it's in a contract, it's the world we live in.
That scale was trying to address starting pay for hiring and overall pay for employees. Also addressing the swing pay issue.
How can anyone fight for the raises already on paper?
It's literally decided at the top and they don't listen to anyone no matter how bad things get. You can put market increase proposals together through proper channels and they never get looked at. You eventually hit a dead end quicker than you would think, VP level usually.
It's easy to say fight for raises except for when you have for years and nothing happens.

Aquaman

True.
No matter what pay plan that is put in they can and will change it more than likely unless it's in a contract, it's the world we live in.
That scale was trying to address starting pay for hiring and overall pay for employees. Also addressing the swing pay issue.
How can anyone fight for the raises already on paper?
It's literally decided at the top and they don't listen to anyone no matter how bad things get. You can put market increase proposals together through proper channels and they never get looked at. You eventually hit a dead end quicker than you would think, VP level usually.
It's easy to say fight for raises except for when you have for years and nothing happens.
It’s all you can do. Managers need to tell upper managment every chance they get that this place NEEDS to follow the step plan. Tell them you’re losing drivers because of 2%-3% raises. You can’t hire anyone with the current starting pay. If they say it’s all they can afford… call them out on the lies. Throw contradicting numbers in their face. Tell them they need to compete with consistency. There’s nothing else you can do but annoy them. Sadly most managers don’t want to annoy their superiors about the ACTUAL issues here. Fedex can’t make employees happy by putting a raise on paper, and then giving them a quarter of that raise. My next step raise should be $2.33/hr… almost 9%… a damn good raise. Now Fedex came up with that raise, not me. It was THEIR idea…. If I get 50 cents instead, who am I supposed to be mad at?

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Spot on!! Why would I take a pay cut? I make more as a rtd than my manager yearly. He works or is around more hours than me but I get ot.
But but but but but everyone here says they all leave between lunch and 2pm!!!!!!

I don’t need my ego stroked like dano!
Me either, and I wouldn't want to take a pay cut to be an ops manager again.

thedownhillEXPRESS

It’s all you can do. Managers need to tell upper managment every chance they get that this place NEEDS to follow the step plan. Tell them you’re losing drivers because of 2%-3% raises. You can’t hire anyone with the current starting pay. If they say it’s all they can afford… call them out on the lies. Throw contradicting numbers in their face. Tell them they need to compete with consistency. There’s nothing else you can do but annoy them. Sadly most managers don’t want to annoy their superiors about the ACTUAL issues here. Fedex can’t make employees happy by putting a raise on paper, and then giving them a quarter of that raise. My next step raise should be $2.33/hr… almost 9%… a damn good raise. Now Fedex came up with that raise, not me. It was THEIR idea…. If I get 50 cents instead, who am I supposed to be mad at?
9% is still less the a COLA raise. I believe SS recipients are looking at over 10% this year.
Basically anything less than that is a pay cut on top of increased medical.

thedownhillEXPRESS

fedx

Extra Large Package

View attachment 397380

I don't understand why FedEx doesn't just round up the pay on some of their pay steps. Like starting RTD where I'm at is $21.95. Why not just round it up to $22? It's only a nickel an hour difference and looks better. And like step 3 is $25.87/hr. Why not just round it up to $26? That little difference isn't going to break FedEx.

Aquaman

I don't understand why FedEx doesn't just round up the pay on some of their pay steps. Like starting RTD where I'm at is $21.95. Why not just round it up to $22? It's only a nickel an hour difference and looks better. And like step 3 is $25.87/hr. Why not just round it up to $26? That little difference isn't going to break FedEx.
The fact that Express is trying to pay tractor trailer drivers $21.95 ANYWHERE in the country is embarrassing.

fedx

Extra Large Package
The fact that Express is trying to pay tractor trailer drivers $21.95 ANYWHERE in the country is embarrassing.

They are just now paying RTDs starting pay that all the other LTL carriers started out at 10 years ago. Now those same places pay $29-$30/hr on day one. So Express will be $30/hr starting pay sometime around 2035 and those places will be $40/hr to start. Express is always a day late and a dollar short. Add to the fact that it's looking more and more like there will be no step progression once again this year and you'll be seeing another mass exodus of RTDs and couriers right before peak. Express is shooting themselves in the foot once again. Each time their labor shortage gets a little bit worse than before. Soon they'll see the fruits of their stinginess. They'll be running skeleton crews that will have boxes piled up in the garages like Ground. It's all coming to a head.

Guitarman01

Outside of Union contracts UPS doesnt pay that great either.
Just checking my local market, 15.50 hr for package handler which I know can include some pretty tough jobs at UPS.
Seasonal driver 20 to 21 an hr.
USPS is starting around 19 for their drivers.
Fedex Express isnt that far off and its work life balance is far greater than both of those other Driver jobs.
Id say they would stay pretty competitive if they would just follow their step plan year in and year out.
I think topping out around 30 isnt bad pay for what we do, as long as it doesnt take 20 years to get there.