2022 step increase

fedx

Extra Large Package
Outside of Union contracts UPS doesnt pay that great either.
Just checking my local market, 15.50 hr for package handler which I know can include some pretty tough jobs at UPS.
Seasonal driver 20 to 21 an hr.
USPS is starting around 19 for their drivers.
Fedex Express isnt that far off and its work life balance is far greater than both of those other Driver jobs.
Id say they would stay pretty competitive if they would just follow their step plan year in and year out.
I think topping out around 30 isnt bad pay for what we do, as long as it doesnt take 20 years to get there.

You're right about UPS' handler pay. That low pay helps subsidize their higher paying driver jobs. I wouldn't be in their union if I was a handler as there's no benefit to them. I would join after I became a driver. Temp jobs pay $21/hr because they aren't in the union. I would imagine their union doesn't want to pay some temp $35/hr because employees would question why they would even need a union if they pay temps that high. But the bottom line is UPS can and does afford to pay those high wages while Express pay half that. You're right, if FedEx would keep their word and pay the step progression, it would end most of the complaining about the company. But their step progression chart has zero meaning-it's totally worthless and misleading. People get sucked in thinking they'll be making good money in a decade only to find out it's 20yrs, not 10. Then they leave. If FedEx would change to a 5 yr step progression, you would see morale do a complete 180. You'd have people staying at their jobs and turnover would be minimal and it would go back to being like the 80s where you have to know someone at FedEx to get a job there because everyone wants to work there.

Last edited:

Aquaman

Just checking my local market, 15.50 hr for package handler which I know can include some pretty tough jobs at UPS.
Fedex Express isnt that far off and its work life balance is far greater than both of those other Driver jobs.
Id say they would stay pretty competitive if they would just follow their step plan year in and year out.
I think topping out around 30 isnt bad pay for what we do, as long as it doesnt take 20 years to get there.
The more people quit, coupled with the increased difficulty in hiring, the worse the “work/life balance” becomes. And the problem with pay is progression. Takes too long. And starting pay for certain jobs like RTD is what couriers should be starting at. The step progression was supposed to solve the problem. But since it went into place, we’ve had what, 3 or 4 years of no step? So those employees that started then are already on a 20 year plan again. They didn’t care about the problem. They care about stalling and lying on paper. They did that. Now we all just have to wait for the next fix that’s a lie…

Aquaman

You're right about UPS' handler pay. That low pay helps subsidize their higher paying driver jobs. I wouldn't be in their union if I was a handler as there's no benefit to them. I would join after I became a driver. Temp jobs pay $21/hr because they aren't in the union. I would imagine their union doesn't want to pay some temp $35/hr because employees would question why they would even need a union if they pay temps that high. But the bottom line is UPS can and does afford to pay those high wages while Express pay half that. You're right, if FedEx would keep their word and pay the step progression, it would end most of the complaining about the company. But their step progression chart has zero meaning-it's totally worthless and misleading. People get sucked in thinking they'll be making good money in a decade only to find out it's 20yrs, not 10. Then they leave. If FedEx would change to a 5 yr step progression, you would see morale do a complete 180. You'd have people staying at their jobs and turnover would be minimal and it would go back to being like the 80s where you have to know someone at FedEx to get a job there because everyone wants to work there.
RTD’s are on a 5 step plan… and it’s doing nothing for retention. Guys use FedEx to get paid to get their class A, then leave after a year of experience. Because everyone knows it’s not going to be 5 years. It’s going to be 15 years at least. All this company needs to do is stick to the plan. Every. Single. Year.

fedx

Extra Large Package
RTD’s are on a 5 step plan… and it’s doing nothing for retention. Guys use FedEx to get paid to get their class A, then leave after a year of experience. Because everyone knows it’s not going to be 5 years. It’s going to be 15 years at least. All this company needs to do is stick to the plan. Every. Single. Year.

Yes I know, because I'm on it. I still have 3......um, I mean 10 years till I top out. You might as well figure 3 years for each step progression. In the end, I'm confident that I'll almost be at almost 20 years total before I actually top out. I'm glad drivers quit like they do. FedEx deserves it. They want to screw us, so screw them. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to do a step progression this year. This is a total horse :censored2: company. They deserve whatever happens to them in the future. They brought it all upon themselves with their greed and stinginess.

floridays

I have a simple question

If you clowns don't get a step increase will you refuse to show up for work until they address it?

My guess is the answer is no because it is doubtful any of you can go for two months without a paycheck without draining your savings.

I have a clue for you, Fedex knows exactly what I know and just said.

You have no bargaining chips, you will be bitching about the same issue next year.

Fact is, it wouldn't take two months if you, station wide, district wide, refused to show it would only take a couple of days.

I guess most of you put yourself in the position that you can't take two weeks without a paycheck, Fedex knows that as well.

Tread water if you have to and build up an emergency fund of three months and then wildcat strike. They will beg you to return long before those three months expire. My guess is less than a week.

Someone with nuts argue against me and convince me that I am full of :poop:.

You clowns are seriously getting pathetic and sound like abused wives. Grab between your legs

Gone fishin

I have a simple question

If you clowns don't get a step increase will you refuse to show up for work until they address it?

My guess is the answer is no because it is doubtful any of you can go for two months without a paycheck without draining your savings.

I have a clue for you, Fedex knows exactly what I know and just said.

You have no bargaining chips, you will be bitching about the same issue next year.

Fact is, it wouldn't take two months if you, station wide, district wide, refused to show it would only take a couple of days.

I guess most of you put yourself in the position that you can't take two weeks without a paycheck, Fedex knows that as well.

Tread water if you have to and build up an emergency fund of three months and then wildcat strike. They will beg you to return long before those three months expire. My guess is less than a week.

Someone with nuts argue against me and convince me that I am full of :poop:.

You clowns are seriously getting pathetic and sound like abused wives. Grab between your legs
Simple answer. QUIT , jobs are everywhere

Aquaman

Yes I know, because I'm on it. I still have 3......um, I mean 10 years till I top out. You might as well figure 3 years for each step progression. In the end, I'm confident that I'll almost be at almost 20 years total before I actually top out. I'm glad drivers quit like they do. FedEx deserves it. They want to screw us, so screw them. I'm pretty sure they aren't going to do a step progression this year. This is a total horse :censored2: company. They deserve whatever happens to them in the future. They brought it all upon themselves with their greed and stinginess.
Yep. We got the “we know it’s a problem” garbage for 10 years in meetings regarding time it takes to top out. “We’re working on a solution” for over a decade. It was such an issue on the SFA that they stopped asking the question. Then they roll out this big plan to fix the progression problem, and top people out way faster. And it did nothing. Nobody is topping out faster… nobody.

yadig

Is this raj speaking?

McFeely

Huge Member
But since it went into place, we’ve had what, 3 or 4 years of no step?

Step plan went into effect in 2016. We did NOT receive step increases in 2019 or 2020 (both were 2% increases).

I'm not sure what this year will hold. I'm in a station with a temporary pay premium because they were having such trouble hiring, and that's about equal to 2 steps on the progression chart. Whenever that premium ends, I expect my station to have another horrible staffing situation. I know the company would love to get rid of senior/expensive employees, but the fact is even the less expensive new hires won't stick around with the current workload and pay progression.

Aquaman

Step plan went into effect in 2016. We did NOT receive step increases in 2019 or 2020 (both were 2% increases).

I'm not sure what this year will hold. I'm in a station with a temporary pay premium because they were having such trouble hiring, and that's about equal to 2 steps on the progression chart. Whenever that premium ends, I expect my station to have another horrible staffing situation. I know the company would love to get rid of senior/expensive employees, but the fact is even the less expensive new hires won't stick around with the current workload and pay progression.
If you run a business where you DON’T want employees at top pay… you shouldn’t be in business. Everything related to topped out employees is a good thing. Long tenured employees care more.. they know more.. they solve more.. and most importantly they quit less. Hiring people that stay is every companies goal. FedEx Express runs a backward business.

Gone fishin

“But just get another job!” Morons reciting that garbage have never had a job with a rare schedule that works with their family life.
Day jobs are rare ? Fedex has been horrible for years and probably will remain horrible. You’re going to have to accept this or find a better one

Maui

I’m sure there will be a step increase this year. Or more. I understand the distrust from people. The 2 - not 3 or 4 years without a step took integrity out of the plan. Then last year when it was finally a good year FedEx dropped the ball when 2 steps were warranted.

And not everyone is on a step program. Measly 3% raises last year and NOTHING for top out until there was enough backlash don’t give anyone warm and fuzzies. The targeted pay actions starting people higher in range or at step 4 or 5 are permanent. The premiums must be also or staffing will crater. They know this.

I doubt the fundamental problems are addressed adequately this year, but assuredly there will be an increase equal to or greater than a step.

Aquaman

Not sure where you are, but food service class A seems comparable in most areas.
Are we talking 40 hours a week? Or 65? Very very very very very very very very few trucking companies will let you go home with driving hours still available.

Aquaman

I’m sure there will be a step increase this year. Or more. I understand the distrust from people. The 2 - not 3 or 4 years without a step took integrity out of the plan. Then last year when it was finally a good year FedEx dropped the ball when 2 steps were warranted.

And not everyone is on a step program. Measly 3% raises last year and NOTHING for top out until there was enough backlash don’t give anyone warm and fuzzies. The targeted pay actions starting people higher in range or at step 4 or 5 are permanent. The premiums must be also or staffing will crater. They know this.

I doubt the fundamental problems are addressed adequately this year, but assuredly there will be an increase equal to or greater than a step.
The premiums can’t be permanent. Not everyone is getting it. I do however see a massive problem in taking the premium pay away. How could they without tanking already struggling stations. If it stays permanent it’ll probably just be considered a new market level or something idk.