2023 Teamster Contract Negotiation - Partner Edition

Thebrownblob

I think you're right about that. At least from a precursorary view, the rank and file of the company does not seem engaged, educated or even that interested that a contract is coming up. As much as it's fun to think corporate is infested by idiots, no way they don't sense that about the work force and I think they force O'Briens hand. Unfortunately I don't think he's holding the cards he's claiming to. We'll see, that July date is coming at us quicker than it seems.
No way do I think corporate is infested with complete idiots. Although I do think they’re completely dishonest, Sean O’Brien or any other union leader doesn’t hold any cards except the cards his membership gives him we spent the last 4 1/2 years, listening to the complaints about how poor the last contract was, and in many respects they are correct, but the last president may have put forth just as much effort as the membership did in obtaining a contract if the members are not engaged or won’t even vote. I’m not sure what any labor leader could do. Are people pissed off enough now to be engaged or are we just going to lay down and let the company walk all over us and then complain another five years? It seems like Sean is trying to do his part I do agree time will tell.

DMW

Absolutely. However, the closer it gets to July 31, the more leverage the teamsters have. UPS will make an agreement. They don’t have a choice. In 1997 UPS had 80% of the ground market share. And if you look back at the revenue #s we were flat for years. Then Covid and e-commerce. But now we only have 50% of the market share. And Fedx has already integrated some locations.
After the strike of 1997, UPS Board of Directors only lower the stock from $30.50 to $30.00. Because it was private and nobody rushed to sell. In my District if a management person wanted to sell stock you had to go meet with the District Manager and Controller, in normal business. Now that we’re public. We can’t afford to shut down.
What leverage if you promise to walk first thing? Tough guy Sean has boxed himself in by saying that.
The Union almost always use’s that tactic. A sixteen day strike would now cost UPS over 4 billion dollars. An agreement can be reached, and remain competitive.

kforte36

No I got your point. I'm asking do you think they won't care when they see their potential raises and the only reason they are on strike is because of the FTers that hate them or do you think they'll cross/vote instead?

The company is going to play some dirty tricks is all I'm saying.
Maybe in your building full timers hate part timers but in my building it's not that way at all.

brownIEman

I remember that one manager that was killed driving feeder’s. Sad
It was terribly sad. A lot of partners familiar with the case were convinced an IBT member forced him off the road leading to the crash. A few years ago there was a poster on this site bragging about how is BA would get in front of management driving feeders during the strike and do break checks. I am convinced that is how that went down, but clearly there is no way to prove it. Now days hopefully most feeders have cameras.
There was also the management employee who was delivering a route in FL when a couple guys ran up and stabbed him in his PC (he survived). Hopefully if there is another strike this year we won't see any of that mess.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
It was terribly sad. A lot of partners familiar with the case were convinced an IBT member forced him off the road leading to the crash. A few years ago there was a poster on this site bragging about how is BA would get in front of management driving feeders during the strike and do break checks. I am convinced that is how that went down, but clearly there is no way to prove it. Now days hopefully most feeders have cameras.
There was also the management employee who was delivering a route in FL when a couple guys ran up and stabbed him in his PC (he survived). Hopefully if there is another strike this year we won't see any of that mess.

There won’t be if you stay in your office

brownIEman

There won’t be if you stay in your office
During a strike there is nothing to do in an office.
Hey, if you feel that passionate about it that you are going to go out and try to kill management working, just please remember this is 2023, cameras are everywhere and you might not get away with the violence this time around...

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
During a strike there is nothing to do in an office.
Hey, if you feel that passionate about it that you are going to go out and try to kill management working, just please remember this is 2023, cameras are everywhere and you might not get away with the violence this time around...
1C48BAE4-44CC-440D-93FE-05F5EC19BE23.gif

Darmark7

Retired 2020. Not my Problem Anymore!
Any Partners around from the time of the last strike? How bad was it? Will it be different today?

I went through the 97 strike. Here is how it went from my perspective at our center… About 2 weeks before the strike the public got nervous. The volume went down a bit. The week before the strike customers quit shipping and the volume dropped drastically and the last few days it went down to a trickle. Low seniority people didn’t have any work and routes were cut as management combined routes together. The first days of the strike the employees were having a great time and talking a lot of smack. Going into the 2nd week the fun was pretty much over and a few guys crossed the line. As it started to look like this was going to go into the 3rd week a few more guys crossed the line and all the party had come to an end. After the strike was over the first day back was really strange walking back into the building. Management was pissed and they was going to make it hell for the employees. There was almost no work so there was no pre loaders at all. The Drivers that worked had to unload the trailers and load package cars (No you didn’t load your own car) before going out on a route . The volume took some time to get back up so the ones without much seniority was hit hard. Quite a few people never came back. The tension between management, those that crossed the line and all other employees was thick and this went on for a long time. This was the end of UPS having a somewhat good relationship between management and employees. It was never the same after the strike. Many customers left completely and those that stayed opened up accounts with FedX and split their shipments so they wouldn’t have just 1 option in the future. Many Businesses treated the drivers differently. Even the ones that acted like they was on the drivers side before the strike had a different attitude after they lived through it. It was 23 more years after that strike before I retired yet I still had a customer tell me just before I retired that UPS was never the same company it was before the strike.
A strike might be necessary but I pray for you guys working now that it doesn’t have to get to that. If it does go to a strike I will be right there on the line with the guys at my old center. Good Luck!

Last edited:

DELACROIX

In the Spirit of Honore' Daumier

"Who told you that?"..... :felloforit1: :felloforit1::felloforit1:..... (Partner)