710 Votes No - 3 to 1 margin

brett636

I'm covered by the 710 pension plan even though I am not in local 710. Some years ago some pension representatives were sent down to my local union hall to discuss the current state of the pension as well as future plans. If I recall my numbers correctly the plan had more money going out than coming in through contributions. The only way for the overall plan to improve its reserves and thus pension increases was through growth in investments, and even a portion of that was required to meet the yearly pension expenditures. The representative at the meeting had stated that they were looking into increasing the pension payout right before the financial collapse, but the fund lost a significant portion of its reserves during the financial collapse causing them to nix any plan to increase the payout. This meeting occurred in 2008. I do recall that since the meeting Yellow Freight which is a big employer in the local 710 pension plan was having financial difficulties and stopped contributions for a awhile to get its business back in order. Other teamster companies have also had similar financial difficulties that may cause this delayed pension increase. I'm not certain if any of it could delay a pension increase, but the members demanding a review of this isn't a bad thing in my book.

Addison Feeder Driver

If you were at the most recent 710 meeting you heard the status of our pension. It's doing better than 705's, and better than most. It's in the green category but it's still not 100% funded. Until it's 100% funded for many years they cannot offer any pension increases by law. I was at YRCW when they stopped paying into the pension plan and when they started back up they were paying only 25% so you need 4 years worked for 1 year credit. Sounds like that hurts the pension but it doesn't. It hurts the drivers because only a handful will get 25 years and the rest will work until they die or take a partial pension with a penalty for not having 25 years.

Sent using BrownCafe App

If you were at the most recent 710 meeting you heard the status of our pension. It's doing better than 705's, and better than most. It's in the green category but it's still not 100% funded. Until it's 100% funded for many years they cannot offer any pension increases by law. I was at YRCW when they stopped paying into the pension plan and when they started back up they were paying only 25% so you need 4 years worked for 1 year credit. Sounds like that hurts the pension but it doesn't. It hurts the drivers because only a handful will get 25 years and the rest will work until they die or take a partial pension with a penalty for not having 25 years.

Sent using BrownCafe App

I was there, and I did hear Pat say that ours was in the best financial shape it has been in,and has over 2 billion in assets and is 88% funded. I also heard him say that ours was doing better than others and that some,including 705,have had to reduce payouts. Whether that is true or not, I do know of other Teamster pensions paying out nearly double ours!

rod

Retired 22 years
Congratulations to you! I cant be happier to hear that! When did you retire and how many years did you have in? Enjoy your retirement!

I retired June 27th, 2001 when I was 53. I worked 30 years and 27 days as a package driver. I only worked the extra 27 days because I wanted it in writing that I was getting everything I had worked for. I trusted no ones word because when I retired I swore I was the first person ever to do so. I couldn't get a straight answer out of anyone. Although I had absolutely no trust in the Company the Union gave me some conflicting BS also so I wanted it in black and white and told the Union so. It took them 26 days to get it to me. My last day was the day after I got my official print out of my yearly work credits.

scisector9

FYI to those in 710 there is online survey on 710s website. I think stewards in our building do a good job listening and communicating our issues but I took the time anyway.

Cheers

Sent using BrownCafe App

Addison Feeder Driver

Scisector9,
That survey is for the contract proposal that was voted down. They are asking members to list their top 3 things they want changed with the contract.
Most drivers listed the 4 year progression because it's too long for new drivers to wait to make decent money.
The other issues are Healthcare which according to 710 they are offering the best Healthcare possible with the money they have.
My biggest issue was the fact that seasonal drivers make $6/hour more than full time drivers. The new contract only brings get up to $18.75 while seasonal drivers make $23. When UPS gave seasonal that money that sets the bar for where full time drivers should start, at $23, not $18 like the lousy contract is offering. If this is the best contract hall could negotiate he shouldn't be negotiating at all. I believe he negotiated the National contract.

Sent using BrownCafe App

scisector9

Scisector9,
That survey is for the contract proposal that was voted down. They are asking members to list their top 3 things they want changed with the contract.
Most drivers listed the 4 year progression because it's too long for new drivers to wait to make decent money.
The other issues are Healthcare which according to 710 they are offering the best Healthcare possible with the money they have.
My biggest issue was the fact that seasonal drivers make $6/hour more than full time drivers. The new contract only brings get up to $18.75 while seasonal drivers make $23. When UPS gave seasonal that money that sets the bar for where full time drivers should start, at $23, not $18 like the lousy contract is offering. If this is the best contract hall could negotiate he shouldn't be negotiating at all. I believe he negotiated the National contract.

Sent using BrownCafe App

All of these issues and the flex schedule. Many of us sacrifice personal life and family time to work for brown. Don't take away our weekends.

Sent using BrownCafe App

710 steward

No offense to anyone posting their concerns but our problems are much greater than seasonal rates or progression. I hear you. I do but we have larger problems on the horizon.

1. Currently UPS is paying over $400 a week into the pension fund. If nothing is changed by the end of the proposed contract it will be over $600 a week. Think about it $600 A WEEK!!!! That's a ton of money with no pension increase in sight. We should be allowed to split the difference with 710. They get $100 for the fund and we get $100 for our 401k every week. That's generous in my opinion. We as UPSers contribute more to this fund than any other company and it's time for us to be treated as such.

2. The 9.5 language needs to have language that all time after 9.5 hours worked WILL(not shall) be paid at triple time without filing a grievance. Let's face it they aren't going to add routes so if we are going to miss family time then we should be compensated appropriately.

3. Elimination of classification seniority and strictly use full time seniority to rebid EVERY full time position every year. After this contract we will be forced to work extra years. Those members 52+ should be allowed to select inside/combo or feeder positions if their seniority spplies. Seniority is king folks. We love it if it benefits us and dislike it when it doesn't but fair is fair.

4. Insurance is changing everywhere. From what I saw what is being proposed to us is good. I personally did not agree with the ER portion of it but most of us don't use the ER even once a year.

Follow the long term money folks. Their are thousands and thousands if unexplained dollars out there. Where is it all being used and why doesn't it benefit us more than it is??

Last edited:

jpf75

don't change my insurance. the union said, ups isn't giving the money they need to have the same coverage, so I would propose cutting the raise in half and put that towards the insurance!!!

Addison Feeder Driver

Proposing that UPS give you half of the pension contribution for a 401k is a nice thought but will never happen. They need the increase in contributions to reach the 100% funding. Then you can talk about an increase. You should be putting money in your 401k now.
The problems you listed are important but no more important than the ones regarding progression and pay. Cach has hired almost 50 drivers recently and add the rest of our district and it's 100 drivers plus part time and seasonal is over 200 workers directly affected by progression.

Sent using BrownCafe App

710 steward

Ad Feeder

I do contribute to my 401k and am proud to say I have over six figures in it. If we are not(and we aren't) going to get a pension increase then my proposal is correct for 710 members. 710 will be collecting an increase to the fund every single year during the length of the contract. While I do understand there won't be a pension increase my proposal is a retirement increase for UPS employees and if Pat is truly working for us that is a win-win for us the employees and the plan itself. Taking the "it won't happen approach" is wrong and lazy. We pay Pat to take care of us and quite frankly he is falling short.

As far as progression and seasonals are concerned, do you really want to take care of 100 people first. That is 2% of our membership. How about we take care of the 6000+ that were here first before we worry
about new and seasonal employees.

brett636

I find myself agreeing with both the Addison feeder driver and 710 steward. While I agree that getting the union to redirect pension money to our 401ks is highly unlikely I do agree that it should be done. I feel like I could do a lot more with that money than what the pension fund is doing with it, and still have a substantial retirement nestegg that can be passed on to surviving family members. I understand that many members are stuck on the perpetuity of the income itself, but with a large enough 401k(7 figures would be necessary) one could generate just as good, if not a better income, for themselves and not ever touch the original principal. Getting the members to both understand and agree to this would be a huge uphill battle not to mention getting the union leadership to let go of some of that money the company is sending their way too makes its a pipe dream at best.

slantnosechevy

All of these issues and the flex schedule. Many of us sacrifice personal life and family time to work for brown. Don't take away our weekends.

Sent using BrownCafe App
I agree the wage progression sucks especially for part-timers who've waited 6-10 years to get into package. The flex schedule has been around since '02. The companies renewed interest especially in Tues. thru Sat. is to go after Amazon and the lime green trucks they're putting on the road. If you haven't seen them....you will soon. Not to mention Freddy's expansion in our backyards. The added 4-10's are a good step towards more family time for those wanting it.

slantnosechevy

I find myself agreeing with both the Addison feeder driver and 710 steward. While I agree that getting the union to redirect pension money to our 401ks is highly unlikely I do agree that it should be done. I feel like I could do a lot more with that money than what the pension fund is doing with it, and still have a substantial retirement nestegg that can be passed on to surviving family members. I understand that many members are stuck on the perpetuity of the income itself, but with a large enough 401k(7 figures would be necessary) one could generate just as good, if not a better income, for themselves and not ever touch the original principal. Getting the members to both understand and agree to this would be a huge uphill battle not to mention getting the union leadership to let go of some of that money the company is sending their way too makes its a pipe dream at best.

slantnosechevy

The pension is the unions trump card. To redirect the monies would weaken it for future retirees. 401's are not any safer. Everyone thinks they can do better with the money much like Social Security. Take a good look around at other Teamster Pensions and get back to me on how good 710 members have it. The ones who bitch the most have been living beyond their means.