9.5 during vacation week

Tallman84

I will use little words:

Why would you bid that week if you plan on working it?

Vacations are bid in seniority order and if you choose a week that you have no intention of actually taking you may close that week before a junior employee who really wants to take that week off has a chance to bid on it.
It's not like I'm intentionally screwing over someone. It's my choice to work it or not. I would never use that logic on someone with more seniority than me.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
It's not like I'm intentionally screwing over someone. It's my choice to work it or not. I would never use that logic on someone with my seniority than me.

I would. Screw them. They could choose to cash out their weeks instead of picking a week of vacation and locking it out for someone else.

542thruNthru

I have a vacation coming up and I'm sure they're going to ask me to work it to help out. I know from doing it in the past I get paid double time all day but I was wondering if I am able to file 9.5 grievances on top of it?

Unless your supplemental contract says differently i can see why you wouldn't be allowed to file 9.5.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Yes I could use the extra cash for bills and such.

Budget based on 40 and the rest is gravy.

Do you have kids? If so, are they in school? How would you feel if you were a junior driver and your wife really wanted to take the kids to Disney during their spring break from school. You go in to work to bid on your vacations to find that the week that you want has already been closed out. You are upset but realize that's how seniority works; however, that week comes and one of the drivers who had bid that week shows up to work each and every day. What would your reaction be? Would you be so amicable?

Nah

Do you have kids? If so, are they in school? How would you feel if you were a junior driver and your wife really wanted to take the kids to Disney during their spring break from school. You go in to work to bid on your vacations to find that the week that you want has already been closed out. You are upset but realize that's how seniority works; however, that week comes and one of the drivers who had bid that week shows up to work each and every day. What would your reaction be? Would you be so amicable?

I'll take it one step further: budget based on 40 hours at the starting pay rate of $21.

Tallman84

I'd feel the same as I do now. They've been here longer than I have and it's their choice what to do with their vacation as they please. I know how hard this job is on families and relationships. I've experienced that frustration as well but I'd never be angry. That's just not who I am.