9.5 during vacation week

barnyard

KTM rider
Not greed. Just wondering what my union rights are.
You do not have any rights when you are working your vacation. Technically, any cut driver could work your route and you would take whatever is left. There is nothing in the contract that covers seniority rights or anything else when a person is working their vacation.

542thruNthru

is probably getting the double time by saying he's getting paid for the vacation plus getting paid for his hours worked

Probably but then it wouldn't be double time all day. Just up to 45 hours.

Either way his supp doesn't allow you to just work any vacation. It allows you pick a certain # of weeks but must be stated in the beginning of the year.

Personally I'd file a grievance on him if I was a cover driver.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You do not have any rights when you are working your vacation. Technically, any cut driver could work your route and you would take whatever is left. There is nothing in the contract that covers seniority rights or anything else when a person is working their vacation.

So they are basically cover drivers for the week? Good.

Tallman84

I don't see where you get double time for working a vacation.

Not very secret.
View attachment 293263
All I know is that at our center any hours worked outside of our posted schedule is double time. It's been a few years since I've done it but that's how I got paid. Regardless i couldnt find any language pertaining to over 9.5 when working a vacation week. I didn't expect so much of a backlash

Tallman84

Thank you! That's all I was looking for.

Probably but then it wouldn't be double time all day. Just up to 45 hours.

Either way his supp doesn't allow you to just work any vacation. It allows you pick a certain # of weeks but must be stated in the beginning of the year.

Personally I'd file a grievance on him if I was a cover driver.
That's basically where it is here but still does not stop the company from asking people to work vacations sometimes .

542thruNthru

All I know is that at our center any hours worked outside of our posted schedule is double time. It's been a few years since I've done it but that's how I got paid. Regardless i couldnt find any language pertaining to over 9.5 when working a vacation week. I didn't expect so much of a backlash

Personally I don't like people that work their vacations. Here it screws the PT cover drivers that cover those routes.

It also screws people that may have wanted that week if it were blocked out because of too many people taking it.

You don't want to take vacation that's fine. Don't schedule them and get paid. Here if you work it and cover drivers are in the building or its a prime week. I'm filing but that's just me.

Brown echo

If u are not alive than for sure truth is not real
I have a vacation coming up and I'm sure they're going to ask me to work it to help out. I know from doing it in the past I get paid double time all day but I was wondering if I am able to file 9.5 grievances on top of it?
Take the Vacation Maybe the last one even if you stay home, double NO, file 9.5 when you volunteer your self or do you mean a curfew pass NO.

542thruNthru

I called the BA, the BA put an end to it and I worked the route that I wanted to work. The bid driver could have come in and worked as a cut driver, but chose not to. No grievance required.

Don't know if that's how it works everywhere but it's at least something. Here we have language that you can not work your vacation. So that driver should be sent home. I had to file on a management buddy that kept scheduling the week after Xmas so that it would get blocked faster and our center manager would have more drivers available.

I warned him when I found out about it but he though the center manager would protect him.