9.5 Language New Contract

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by 8000Shelf, Apr 14, 2019.

1. 8000Shelf

8000Shelf Active Member

Can't find the Language in the new contract that states "everyone is on the 9.5 list unless you opt off it". I only saw this on Union publications when pushing the yes vote and heard it word of mouth thru fellow drivers.
    The new contract 9.5 language only states that the union controls the opt in list, once in January and once in June.
    ??????

2. I believe you can tell your steward if you want on or off the list.

3. Poop Head

Poop Head Lovin' every minute of it!

As I understand, stewards should ask every driver in Jan and June if they want to opt into the list. Otherwise you can notify your steward at anytime of the year and either be opted in or out with a 1 week delay

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

Article 37 Section 1) c.

(c) The Union shall circulate and collect the names of package drivers who wish to be covered by the provisions of this Section twice each year. These lists shall be provided to the Company by January 5th and June 5th of each year.

The “opt-in” lists provided by the Union shall become effective on January 15th and June 15th. A driver may add or delete his/ her name from the list at any time, with one week’s notice to the Employer.

That's a basic highlight, from the new language.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  5. 8000Shelf

8000Shelf Active Member

Yes this is what I thought.
    So my fellow rumor prone drivers are mistaken once again... It will be easier to opt on/off the list but there is no catch all "everyone is automatically on the 9.5" like everyone in my building thinks.

6. But at least you won't have to file a grievance to get in the list, that's a big improvement.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. BigBrown87

BigBrown87 If it’s brown, it’s going down

In order to be under this protection you must be on a route or bid driver, or cover driver that has bid a vacation route even if reassigned. Also applies if you have met progression or 4 years or more driving full time. Pretty much the same rules as the old contract but with the union in charge of the list and being able to opt out or in at anytime.

8. BigBrown87

BigBrown87 If it’s brown, it’s going down

You would be automatically on it as long as you tell your steward you want on the list on those dates given. You will not have to go over 9.5 in order to get on the list. You will still have to file a grievance in order to get payed penalty pay if you violate and are the list.

9. BigUnionGuy

BigUnionGuy Got the T-Shirt

If some people only knew.... what they thought they did. :biggrin:

That's good language, that provides flexibility for the pkg drivers.

10. Unless you are a 22.4 driver

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  11. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

We have about 8 22.4s right now. They preload for 4-5 hours. Shuttle bulk stops/misloads, prelim pickups, and usually go home early. Most of them can’t handle doing a route. Everybody wants that job.

12. How can you have a 22.4 job while the new contract isn't in yet?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  13. Jkloc420

Jkloc420 Well-Known Member

bevause he can fool

14. Wrong.

15. Jkloc420

he likes his job, so leave him alone now

16. 8000Shelf

8000Shelf Active Member

Probably stock 22.4's they are keeping as loaders in anticipation of new contract ratification. Letting them shuttle post sort and just paying the post 5 hour OT ??

17. My guess they are 22.3 jobs
    How can you bid a job that doesn't exist?

18. Jkloc420

he knows peoples

19. Wrong

20. 1989

1989 Well-Known Member

They officially are not 22.4s, but regular drivers doing 22.4 work. Most of them fail when they do a route.