A NO Vote Does NOT Mean A Strike. It Is Just Telling Hall To Strengthen Language.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I have heard many people who express a sense of respect for the hustle and professionalism of the UPS Package Car Driver.

This isn't 1977.

Those days are long gone.

Now.... drivers spend all day, looking for packages.... that "might" be on the truck.

And if they find them.... they might get delivered.

Where have you been ?

-Bug-

Catatonic

Nine Lives
This isn't 1977.

Those days are long gone.

Now.... drivers spend all day, looking for packages.... that "might" be on the truck.

And if they find them.... they might get delivered.

Where have you been ?

-Bug-

It's all about perception, the public only sees the driver after he/she exits the PC after spending 2 minutes finding the package.
That's the same as in 1977.
The difference today is that the driver knows there is a package.
I understood that allowances gave credit for extra mileage when the package was missed on the initial delivery trace.
Understand the system and work within it has been my approach and advice for the last 35 years or so.

Benben

Working on a new degree, Masters in BS Detecting!
The only people I have heard express this exalted view of the UPS Package Car Driver are UPS Package Car Drivers.

I have heard many people who express a sense of respect for the hustle and professionalism of the UPS Package Car Driver.
When they learn the UPS Package Car Driver compensation package, they understand why.

Thats because I honestly do not think you ever did the job but thats just an opinion but a very logical one made from the wording of your posts. I am a cover driver and as such AM the face of the company and speak with countless numbers of the public. I promise you we have a much better feeling for what the public's view of UPS is. Trust me, just because the public sees a UPS ad while watching NCAA ball games or sees a UPS car run arround a track making all left hand turns it does not dictate their view of the company. We are the ones making personal contact with the public. You think its those holed up in Atlanta or BD? Hell not one person I have talked to in the past 6 months could tell me their UPS rep's name or even describe him/her. NOT ONE but thats another arguement for a different topic.

As for the Pay, its on par for assembly workers at Boeing, Ford and Leer Jet. But the pay for the absolute back breaking, sweat drenching, kick your arse work done by the part timers who have to wait over a year for bennies would be an eye opener for the public. The public finding out how often suspensions and threatening letters of termination are handed out I'd think would be another eye opener.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
Thats because I honestly do not think you ever did the job but thats just an opinion but a very logical one made from the wording of your posts. I am a cover driver and as such AM the face of the company and speak with countless numbers of the public. I promise you we have a much better feeling for what the public's view of UPS is. Trust me, just because the public sees a UPS ad while watching NCAA ball games or sees a UPS car run arround a track making all left hand turns it does not dictate their view of the company. We are the ones making personal contact with the public. You think its those holed up in Atlanta or BD? Hell not one person I have talked to in the past 6 months could tell me their UPS rep's name or even describe him/her. NOT ONE but thats another arguement for a different topic.

As for the Pay, its on par for assembly workers at Boeing, Ford and Leer Jet. But the pay for the absolute back breaking, sweat drenching, kick your arse work done by the part timers who have to wait over a year for bennies would be an eye opener for the public. The public finding out how often suspensions and threatening letters of termination are handed out I'd think would be another eye opener.

You're trying to make me out as someone that does not respect the UPS Package Car Driver ... that simply is not the case. It's a hard, tough job physically and mentally (pushing yourself is a mental job more so than physical).

I drove for 18 months, on-car sup and center manager after that - knew the methods and how allowances were developed and applied backwards and forwards.

You think people will tell a UPS driver what they really think? ... think about it.
Regardless, I said the public holds drivers in high esteem but were equally amazed at their compensation.
The public doesn't see assembly line workers or the accountability placed on drivers by their management team so I'm not sure of your point.

You just want to hold on to your belief that a UPS Package Car Driver is some kind of uber-human like Navy SEALs. And unfortunately, they are not compensated anywhere close to what the UPS Package Car Drivers are.
Obviously, you can't judge yourself objectively but take a look around in your PCM tomorrow morning.
Just a bunch of normal men and women that have passed the test of doing a UPS Package Car Driver's job and the will to push themselves day after day ... no Arnold's running around. (OK, maybe a few).

Benben

I think the next contract negotiations are gonna be very interesting. The pension I will get is from the Teamsters. The insurance for everyone now will be from the Teamsters. I am not seeing much of an upside for any UPS attempted PR spin on anything. Maybe at that time Washingthon will have many fewer elected officials who play kneel-n-bob for big bussiness's election dollars. Times, they are going to get interesting.

Benben

"You think people will tell a UPS driver what they really think? ... think about it."

Yes Hoax they do. When I walk in and only say, "Good morning UPS." And they are the ones that launch into, "how do you all do it?" or "you all are always moving so fast" or lately I've been hearing alot of, "I know you all are on such tight schedules...." to start the conversations I feel much more confident that the opinions given are real and not just lip service answers to, "what do you think about UPS drivers."

Back when you drove, Had to be awhile ago because you don't go from driver, to on-car, to center manager in a year. Were the trucks loaded down, bricked out like they are today? Was the work loads comparable to what they are today? Honestly!

Assembly line workers ARE part of the public. Most of us have worked many different jobs in many different industries. I have never been anywhere or even heard of anywhere that hands out suspensions and term letters at even 1/10 of the rate that I see being done at UPS. What do you think the public's reaction would be if they learned how often a driver gets threatened with his/her job on a weekly basis? Getting a psychologist or even a socialogist to opinion on the affects of this could be an effective PR tool in a strike setting. That was my point.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
It's all about perception, the public only sees the driver after he/she exits the PC after spending 2 minutes finding the package.
That's the same as in 1977.
I understood that allowances gave credit for extra mileage when the package was missed on the initial delivery trace.
Understand the system and work within it has been my approach and advice for the last 35 years or so.

Ha...that's why if I can't find a package in the car and have to go back they want you to dup the stop meaning even though it wasnt in the right area I get dinged I get no allowance for going back...there's no excuse for this...typical ups style...blame someone else.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
"You think people will tell a UPS driver what they really think? ... think about it."

Yes Hoax they do. When I walk in and only say, "Good morning UPS." And they are the ones that launch into, "how do you all do it?" or "you all are always moving so fast" or lately I've been hearing alot of, "I know you all are on such tight schedules...." to start the conversations I feel much more confident that the opinions given are real and not just lip service answers to, "what do you think about UPS drivers."

Back when you drove, Had to be awhile ago because you don't go from driver, to on-car, to center manager in a year. Were the trucks loaded down, bricked out like they are today? Was the work loads comparable to what they are today? Honestly!

Assembly line workers ARE part of the public. Most of us have worked many different jobs in many different industries. I have never been anywhere or even heard of anywhere that hands out suspensions and term letters at even 1/10 of the rate that I see being done at UPS. What do you think the public's reaction would be if they learned how often a driver gets threatened with his/her job on a weekly basis? Getting a psychologist or even a socialogist to opinion on the affects of this could be an effective PR tool in a strike setting. That was my point.

Hey, back in hoax driving days those model
T's could only hold so many packages and only drive so fast...cut the guy some slack...

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
It's all about perception.

Absolutely.

And.... the company's perception of reality.... Differs, far from the truth. Ask any driver.

The public only sees the driver after he/she exits the PC after spending 2 minutes finding the package.

On this planet.... Are you kidding me ?

"Should" be a package.

Where have you been ?

​-Bug-

outta hours

The funny thing after every agreement that has been ratified in my 27+ years at UPS. Everyone says "I didn't vote yes". But yet the contract gets the vote to pass. So many lie about their vote for some reason. Never have figured that one out. To each his own opinion & vote. That's how a democratic organization works. But show some sack and stop hiding behind what you think is what others want to hear.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
The union should agree to a temporary extension of this contract in case of a NO vote.As long a the company continues to bargain.!!

The funny thing after every agreement that has been ratified in my 27+ years at UPS. Everyone says "I didn't vote yes". But yet the contract gets the vote to pass. So many lie about their vote for some reason. Never have figured that one out. To each his own opinion & vote. That's how a democratic organization works. But show some sack and stop hiding behind what you think is what others want to hear.

Yep.

I remember going out to Arkansas back in 1996 and we could not find anybody that voted for Slick Willy.
He carried the state at 54%.
​This contract will pass by more than that.