A Repeat of 1997

Seymour Packages

We get along.

You still work for them? Why?

I voted against it too. Voting against a contract and striking are very different things.
I still work for them because of the wages and benefits that my union has negotiated for me. Make no mistake, I'm not asking for a "thank you." I don't even want to "get along". Just give me my 8 hours, provide me with the tools to do my job, and leave me alone. What I won't stand for is the rampant abuse, harassment, and general scumbaggery this company participates in on a daily basis, and continues to get away thanks to bootlicking union members. Thankfully my local buries this company in legitimate grievances, enforces the contract to the letter, and has strong shop stewards throughout the local. It isn't like that everywhere. Some places have union members kissing so much management ass that they need Vaseline to keep their lips from drying out. If you died on the job today or tomorrow, you may get a mention at the PCM. That's it. Forget "getting along." Screw them and their toxic work environment. And if they have the gall to try and screw us on this next contract, we will bring them to their knees again. Thankfully Carol doesn't seem like the fighting type.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

Keep underestimating this company. The biggest enemies of progress are comfort and complacency. Small concessions over time lead to a trash job in the future. EVERYTHING we enjoy as UPS employees has been fought for by the union. Nothing we have was given to us by the graciousness of this scumbag organization's heart. Stay vigilant.
And that same union allowed all the instrumentation to be put into place to easily replace a striking workforce with a bunch of scabs. Orion, mapnav, 22.4s etc. Say what you will about Amazon drivers and their professionalism but they fielded thousands of vehicles and thousands of drivers in short order and they’re moving volume. People don’t care about the look of their driver or customer service anymore. They just want their crap. UPS signs the checks, everything I have is from the graciousness of their scumbaggy heart.

Seymour Packages

And that same union allowed all the instrumentation to be put into place to easily replace a striking workforce with a bunch of scabs. Orion, mapnav, 22.4s etc. Say what you will about Amazon drivers and their professionalism but they fielded thousands of vehicles and thousands of drivers in short order and they’re moving volume. People don’t care about the look of their driver or customer service anymore. They just want their crap. UPS signs the checks, everything I have is from the graciousness of their scumbaggy heart.
I'm sure UPS is thrilled to pay 100K + to deliver cardboard and not be able to terminate you due to production or electronics (solely). We would be making Amazon and Fedex wages if it wasn't for the union. Understand that. You and I are UPS' most valuable asset. The moment you stop believing that, you turn into a scared bootlicker just happy to have a job. The amount on your checks that, UPS so graciously signs, is as high as it is because of people that had the forethought and balls to negotiate for that.

Up In Smoke

I'm not sure how many of you paid attention to the Memorandums of Understanding. The big change I saw was the company's insistence not to extend the joint maintenance of the pension funds beyond 2023. This is a change from 10 years per contract down to 5. Does this signal the company's desire to withdraw completely? The pensions will be a major negotiation topic.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
22.4s will still be running with no clue what's up next year. Half don't even know what a union is. Doubt they will play a role this contract. Union sure won't push wage equality...they created the 22.4 position.

One day a 22.4 will be President of the IBT! Then we will show them.

PT Car Washer

I'm not sure how many of you paid attention to the Memorandums of Understanding. The big change I saw was the company's insistence not to extend the joint maintenance of the pension funds beyond 2023. This is a change from 10 years per contract down to 5. Does this signal the company's desire to withdraw completely? The pensions will be a major negotiation topic.
I already hear people talk about how they would much rather have a 401k company contribution than a pension.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm not sure how many of you paid attention to the Memorandums of Understanding. The big change I saw was the company's insistence not to extend the joint maintenance of the pension funds beyond 2023.

That's not what is says.... or means.

Memorandum of Understanding

"United Parcel Service, Inc. (Ohio and New York Corporation), as a demonstration of its commitment to maintaining jointly administered Teamster pension benefit plans, and to enhance the long term stability of pension coverage for its employees represented by Teamster Local Unions, agrees that for a period of five 5 years from the effective date of the National Master Agreement, it will not solicit any signatory Local Union to change pension plans, either by proposing such change during future negotiations of the National Master Agreement or by encouraging its employees to advocate withdrawal from participation in their current pension plan."

Up In Smoke

That's not what is says.... or means.

Memorandum of Understanding

"United Parcel Service, Inc. (Ohio and New York Corporation), as a demonstration of its commitment to maintaining jointly administered Teamster pension benefit plans, and to enhance the long term stability of pension coverage for its employees represented by Teamster Local Unions, agrees that for a period of five 5 years from the effective date of the National Master Agreement, it will not solicit any signatory Local Union to change pension plans, either by proposing such change during future negotiations of the National Master Agreement or by encouraging its employees to advocate withdrawal from participation in their current pension plan."
Why was the company adamant about changing from 10 years to 5 years?