A Shill Is Born

bbsam

Staff member
Ah. Yes. Technically, however, are not cut off but rolled up. If you are ever across the river, there is a UPS driver who does the same but he does portray a more dynamic vision. From the job to the gym for him is my guess.

bbsam

Staff member
Thanks for mentioning it though. I need to order him new shirts anyway. Those are way too tight on him.:happy2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
First, I think you are making that up. I don't know the turn over rate and doubt that you do either. Second, you tell me. We're still growing with no end in sight. What are we doing to continue that trend and what can Express learn from it? And make no mistake, Express is going to learn it. 5 times Express' operating margin at Ground?! No way Fred's gonna let that stand nor should he.

Why does Ground keep growing? Because it's cheap. And how did it get so cheap? Well, you create a scam system where "employees" aren't considered employees and pay them starvation wages with zero benefits. Wages so low that the government helps subsidize health care costs and perhaps even food stamps.Then you pass-off as many operating costs as possible to a "contractor" who gets paid a handsome sum to make the whole deal look legitimate. Then you have FedEx managers run the entire operation with an iron fist to ensure that FedEx policies and plans are followed to the letter. That's why the operating margin is 5 times that of Express. Fred has built himself a UPS clone with a fraction of the labor costs and zero benefit costs (for drivers). Ground's "success" is more the result of a corrupt CEO/Chairman exploiting an equally corrupt legislative system that is up for sale.

Have Fred (and Ground) won? Most definitely....for now. You'll keep right on growing until the legal system catches up with the scam. "No way Fred's going to stand for that!!" Hopefully, he'll wind up in prison where he belongs once the payoff trail gets exposed. Fred S is a corporate criminal.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Why does Ground keep growing? Because it's cheap. And how did it get so cheap? Well, you create a scam system where "employees" aren't considered employees and pay them starvation wages with zero benefits. Wages so low that the government helps subsidize health care costs and perhaps even food stamps.Then you pass-off as many operating costs as possible to a "contractor" who gets paid a handsome sum to make the whole deal look legitimate. Then you have FedEx managers run the entire operation with an iron fist to ensure that FedEx policies and plans are followed to the letter. That's why the operating margin is 5 times that of Express. Fred has built himself a UPS clone with a fraction of the labor costs and zero benefit costs (for drivers). Ground's "success" is more the result of a corrupt CEO/Chairman exploiting an equally corrupt legislative system that is up for sale.

Have Fred (and Ground) won? Most definitely....for now. You'll keep right on growing until the legal system catches up with the scam. "No way Fred's going to stand for that!!" Hopefully, he'll wind up in prison where he belongs once the payoff trail gets exposed. Fred S is a corporate criminal.
Km

The system will catch up with him eventually.
I'm sure he has earned an infamous spot in some future book about "exploiting" labor.
Whenever I try to explain the way it works to someone, the most often responses are "how can they do that" and just laughter.
Suits will be filed against this practice until its stopped, and when it is, the whole corporation will go the way of Enron.

bbsam

Staff member

Silly MFE. If you want to find those responsible, look to the "Baby Boomer" generation. It took thirty years of these people on both sides of the political aisle to get to this point. There is no "scam" because they wrote the rules to the game and they ran the courts to tell what the rules were. And why? Because they all got very, very, rich by it. From "legacy" union members voting in two-tier pay scales while cashing their fat "signing bonuses" to corporate raiders building plants over-seas. Things are the way they are because that generation wants them to be the way they are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
MFE, you have to admit that, from a purely objective perspective, the Ground business model makes a ton of sense.
It only makes sense in a governmental system where criminals like Fred S are able to create a scam like Ground. He should be wearing an orange jumpsuit but instead he is celebrated as a visionary. It is all part of the larger movement on the Right to kill unions and drive wages down.
Private sector unions are next and the degree to which Ground succeeds imperils the IBT and UPS employees.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Sure , but so does exploiting child labor.
whats the end game here, we all end up living in shanties ?
This race to the bottom sure looks that way for our middle class:youreright:

I said that it makes a ton of sense from a purely objective point of view. I didn't say that I agreed with the manner in which it is being done or the effect that it has on the "employees" and their families.

I have yet to see a Ground driver working with shackles on----they are all free to leave yet I see very little turnover in my area.

thedownhillEXPRESS

Our ground model sure won't help drive up wages at UPS, it can only end up affecting your bottom line also if the only competition has low wages and no benefits.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Private sector unions are next and the degree to which Ground succeeds imperils the IBT and UPS employees.

I will be retired long before that happens but I do believe that our upcoming contract negotiations will include discussion on a two-tiered wage scale, with a lower starting wage, longer progression and lower top out for new FT hires after our contract is ratified.