Accidently hit prerec = late air

oldngray

nowhere special
For a while the DIADs tagged the time you stop completed, not when you first scanned a package. Must have been one of IE's bright ideas. It was sensibly changed a few months later.

F

Frankie's Friend

Two tricks to avoid this:

1. Complete the delivery of the air packages first, then go get the ground packages.

2. Always hit the prerecord button before commit time to verify nothing is there.
If the driver prerecorded the airs when they scanned the ground pkg it wouldve shown the address screen all over again.
That's a clue as well.

Having a bricked out truck and too many airs is a problem for many folks and in our haste to keep up with an ever changing numbers game mistakes happen.

F

Frankie's Friend

For a while the DIADs tagged the time you stop completed, not when you first scanned a package. Must have been one of IE's bright ideas. It was sensibly changed a few months later.
Its still that way on pick up compliance.
Not that anyone cares about that anymore....(this week).

john chesney

I scanned 2 Next day air in the truck at 930 am and swam to the back of a bricked truck to the 5000 shelf looking for a ground for the same Stop. I didn't realize that I accidently bumped prerec before I scanned the ground. I did a CIR on the ground while my 2 air was hiding in prerec without me knowing. At the end of the day I tried to punch out when it alerted me that I had prerecs. Of course its the 2 NDA. I told the dispatch and he texted the center manager. The NDA and the ground was my very first stop of the day. The customer recieved the packages on time but now my diad says I delivered them at 6:15 at night inside the center. How much trouble am I in?
Dude relax or you’re going to have a nervous breakdown or a heart attack at this rate. We all make mistakes just be honest and let them know. You did the right thing

F

Frankie's Friend

Pick up compliance is one of their useless metrics.
Not to the customer. Too early is a problem for many that have cut the shipping dept personnel over the years.
But what trend have you seen in the last 20 yrs?
It may be useless to those in control that only care about numbers.

moldsporh

Brain surgeons of ups allowed the prerecord button next to the delivery button.

Should be on a second screen.

Also, who the eff, puts the deliver button on the soft screen, in the corner, and not a hard button.

Why is this not surprising.

Indecisi0n

I have done the same and had 25 late airs lol. I the made it a requirement that after my last air stop (or 2nd , depending on time) I always hit the pre record button just to make sure it's cleared out.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
We used to have that happen a lot.

There is a trick to get around it, that was figured out by management.

I just can't remember what it is right now.
If I remember correctly, if you use 'left at' from the prerec screen, instead of opening the stop back up, it would use the time stamp from when you first hit prerecord. Of course it would also ask for a signature, so.... ya.

Might have changed it's been a while.

dogs.bite.me

Two tricks to avoid this:

1. Complete the delivery of the air packages first, then go get the ground packages.

2. Always hit the prerecord button before commit time to verify nothing is there.
I always scan my ground first and prerecord that. Then scan my air. If ground gets delivered late, no biggy as long as it’s delivered.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
Not an issue. You probably wont hear anything about it. Unless you have had many service failures in the past.
What ups do you work at??? Center manager will probably have to call his/her babysitter in Atlanta and have a 4 hour conference call about it.... you know this company can’t make anything easy or let anything go...come on

Coldworld

60 months and counting
We had a guy who ran a high mileage rural route (25 to 30 stops a day). He would prerecord every stop before he left the lot--most days before he even left the building.
30 stops a day?? Lol how many miles was the route???

What ups do you work at??? Center manager will probably have to call his/her babysitter in Atlanta and have a 4 hour conference call about it.... you know this company can’t make anything easy or let anything go...come on
I have never seen an issue over a common mistake. Unless they are frequent occurrences. But I did have one manager that would call the baby sitter if there was a rock chip on the windshield.

I had a late air a few weeks ago. Not a word, until I brought it up a couple days later. I’ll average maybe 1 late air stop (due to error) every 5 years or so.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If I remember correctly, if you use 'left at' from the prerec screen, instead of opening the stop back up, it would use the time stamp from when you first hit prerecord. Of course it would also ask for a signature, so.... ya.

Might have changed it's been a while.

That's it.

Pre-record will hold the time as long as you don't open it.

Then hit LA, signature, and print the location on the signature pad.

That way you're not forging someone else's signature.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
That's it.

Pre-record will hold the time as long as you don't open it.

Then hit LA, signature, and print the location on the signature pad.

That way you're not forging someone else's signature.
Interesting hack, but being that is what it is....just a hack, I think I would shy away from it.

While apparently the clock stops, does the GPS stamp freeze as well???

....and the packages aren't being "left at" anywhere.

I can survive some late air, but being accused of dishonesty is a "cardinal sin" and a very slippery slope for someone in my shoes.

At the very least for those who entertain the notion, please only do it with the blessing of management, with a witness.

~Bbbl~™