Add-up the Takeaways Over the Years

FedEx2000

Going to have to say you may be incorrect on that issue.

No I think I'm going to have to say that you are "incorrect" on that issue and actually back it up with citation.
"Some readers posting online comments under a story Wednesday about FedEx and UPS corporate lobbying appeared to confuse it with campaign contributions from the companies' political action committees. In many instances, contributions to their PACs come from employees."

"FedEx is determined to make sure that this year's Federal Aviation Administration Reauthorization Act does not contain a provision that would make it easier for the International Brotherhood of Teamsters to organize some of its Express workers."
Maybe this article can be a start to clearing up the confusion here.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2010/jul/23/ups-leads-fedex-in-pac-spending/

I stand, at least partially, corrected. Read through the shareholder report that was posted on the homepage today.....I'm sure it would be in there somewhere if FedEx has checks cut straight to congress...maybe that's under the "goodwill" category.
As far as the private jets....you can always check flightaware.com, don't know who....but where at least, if you know the tail numbers and they haven't been asked to remove them.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I stand, at least partially, corrected. Read through the shareholder report that was posted on the homepage today.....I'm sure it would be in there somewhere if FedEx has checks cut straight to congress...maybe that's under the "goodwill" category.
As far as the private jets....you can always check flightaware.com, don't know who....but where at least, if you know the tail numbers and they haven't been asked to remove them.

I don't have any tail numbers, so checking will be difficult. My sources tell me FedEx has at least 25 executive jets that they use for ferrying execs and politicians around the world. I'm guessing the tail numbers don't have an obvious FE or FX ending that would make them easy to track, but I could be wrong. I'll do some searching and see what I can find. Flying a large fleet of business jets is tremendously expensive, especially for a company that cannot afford to pay iit's hourly employees a fair wage. Guess how many executive jets UPS has? ZERO. That says a lot.

grizbiker

I just started digging in to the Fedex ways and read some troubleing things. But, what I just read here.... Wow! You started out with... then they promised... went back on that.... had a super duper idea.... cut this out... but wait we can do this.... so then they back out of that.... Man, I feel for you all. And, I keep hearing how corrupt unions are.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I just started digging in to the Fedex ways and read some troubleing things. But, what I just read here.... Wow! You started out with... then they promised... went back on that.... had a super duper idea.... cut this out... but wait we can do this.... so then they back out of that.... Man, I feel for you all. And, I keep hearing how corrupt unions are.

FedEx is more corrupt than the unions, which make the Teamsters a better choice than Fred S. The lesser of two evils.

FedEx courier

I found this article that addresses Fedex's political involvement since it's inception. It's a pretty good read, here is a quote
"FedEx engages in a variety of activities to strengthen its relationships with political officials. One important example is FedEx's lawful practice of regularly making its corporate jets available to members of Congress so they can enjoy greater privacy and convenience while traveling, in many cases, to fundraising events"
Check it out.
https://web.archive.org/web/20071116023306/http://www.allbusiness.com/legal/3604586-1.html

grizbiker

I am doing everything I know to help with your fight. I have wriiten senaters and congress many times. The first couple of times I was a little vague with my questioning and got very vague answers. After that, I went right to the point. The responses I got were so far off topic that my 11 year old daughters even got a nice laugh out of it. Of course, that was before I learned of his private jets. I wonder if they are like the Austin Powers jet or the one Tony Stark flew around?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I am doing everything I know to help with your fight. I have wriiten senaters and congress many times. The first couple of times I was a little vague with my questioning and got very vague answers. After that, I went right to the point. The responses I got were so far off topic that my 11 year old daughters even got a nice laugh out of it. Of course, that was before I learned of his private jets. I wonder if they are like the Austin Powers jet or the one Tony Stark flew around?

I've been checking and I've found 15 so far. All have FE tail numbers. My source was an aviation board frequented by commercial pilots and the poster said they keep the executive fleet at an airport in Arkansas and have several additional jets stationed around the US. I wish I had absolute numbers and locations. I would guess that my estimate of 25 planes is pretty close. Most of them are Challengers, a top-end executive jet.

quadro

I've been checking and I've found 15 so far. All have FE tail numbers. My source was an aviation board frequented by commercial pilots and the poster said they keep the executive fleet at an airport in Arkansas and have several additional jets stationed around the US. I wish I had absolute numbers and locations. I would guess that my estimate of 25 planes is pretty close. Most of them are Challengers, a top-end executive jet.
The tail numbers are no secret. Start with N1FE and go from there. Not rocket science.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The tail numbers are no secret. Start with N1FE and go from there. Not rocket science.

Apparently, they aren't a secret, but it took some digging to find out. I'd love to know how much FedEx spends every year wining, dining, and flying politicians.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Apparently, they aren't a secret, but it took some digging to find out. I'd love to know how much FedEx spends every year wining, dining, and flying politicians.

Yeah, they always seem to have money for that, don't they?

Heaven forbid they spend that on improving courier pay, buying new vehicles or even keeping stuff like powerpads and printers up to snuff.

quadro

Yeah, they always seem to have money for that, don't they?

Heaven forbid they spend that on improving courier pay, buying new vehicles or even keeping stuff like powerpads and printers up to snuff.
Did you know that there were/are about 3000 new vehicles purchased this year? Interestingly, when FedEx does spend money on new stuff, people here complain that they are wasting money. Curiouser and curiouser.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Did you know that there were/are about 3000 new vehicles purchased this year? Interestingly, when FedEx does spend money on new stuff, people here complain that they are wasting money. Curiouser and curiouser.

3,000 out of around 50,000, most of which are rolling piles of crap. I would speculate that most of the 3,000 are to meet tougher air quality regs, particularly in states like California. In other words, Fred was forced to crack open that moth eaten wallet of his and buy a few trucks. What's curious is the way you try and spin everything so it's pro-FedEx/anti-labor.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is

Oooh 3,000! Jeez I'm just about wetting my pants.

Yeah that's about enough to cover all of Rhode Island but let's not worry about the other 49 states 'cause Fred sure as hell ain't.

quadro

3,000 out of around 50,000, most of which are rolling piles of crap. I would speculate that most of the 3,000 are to meet tougher air quality regs, particularly in states like California. In other words, Fred was forced to crack open that moth eaten wallet of his and buy a few trucks. What's curious is the way you try and spin everything so it's pro-FedEx/anti-labor.
Those 3000 trucks cost in excess of $100,000,000. Would you rather FedEx bought 30000 trucks and spent in excess of $1Billion in one year? I'm sure you probably would but that wouldn't really be the best thing for everyone. There are crap vans at probably every station but there are also a lot of good vehicles out there so what's your point? That we shouldn't replace them? My post was in response to Cactus who said "(h)eaven forbid they spend that on improving courier pay, buying new vehicles or even keeping stuff like powerpads and printers up to snuff." And when I pointed out that they did in fact spend over $100 million on trucks, Cactus then dismisses that because it weakens his/her argument.

And how is buying vehicles anti-labor? You really do stretch to put a negative spin on everything don't you?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Those 3000 trucks cost in excess of $100,000,000. Would you rather FedEx bought 30000 trucks and spent in excess of $1Billion in one year? I'm sure you probably would but that wouldn't really be the best thing for everyone. There are crap vans at probably every station but there are also a lot of good vehicles out there so what's your point? That we shouldn't replace them? My post was in response to Cactus who said "(h)eaven forbid they spend that on improving courier pay, buying new vehicles or even keeping stuff like powerpads and printers up to snuff." And when I pointed out that they did in fact spend over $100 million on trucks, Cactus then dismisses that because it weakens his/her argument.

And how is buying vehicles anti-labor? You really do stretch to put a negative spin on everything don't you?

You're a hoot. You put a positive spin on the vehicle purchases and it's OK. I point out that they are probably doing it with a gun to their heads, and I'm anti-company. At my station they've still got some 1984 600's that are in daily use, and some pre-1990 Econolines that are also daily drivers. As the states that have tough air-pollution regs get the newer vehicles that FedEx is more or less forced to buy (like hybrids), the rest of us get California's crap. If Fred could continue to operate smog-belching gas hogs in those states, he would. In other words, he isn't doing most of us any favors.

By the way, that pure-electric van that did the Route 66 tour is an off the shelf Navistar model available to anyone. FedEx tried to present it as new technology that they (FedEx) had pioneered. Uh, no. Anyone else notice it had a tractor-trailer chase vehicle so they could keep it running and/or tote it up the mountain passes? Fred will probably buy a handful of them so he can claim we're "lean and green", and continue to operate a vast fleet of gas vehicles that grossly pollute the air.

Fred isn't afraid to spend the big bucks on planes though. Seems there's always money for those, and none for us.

FedEx courier

I think it's funny how they are trying to put a pro-environmental pr spin out in the media yet a ground, express and freight truck are sent to the same locations. You have three trucks burning three times the fuel to get to pick up and deliver to the same places.

bbsam

Staff member
I think it's funny how people care about global warming. I'm in the midwest and if it means that in 20 years Florida's gonna be a rain forest and the midwest is going to have tropical winters, hell, I can live with that. Losing coast line? Not in Iowa. Suppose other places will grow corn, maybe we'll grow sugar cane. Who knows? Seems like it can all work out and all the doomsday talk is overblown to me. So yes. Today when I go into work and fire up my 2002 Ford E350 V-10 4x4 Quigly conversion delivery van and pull out of the terminal, it will be with a clear conscience and a smile on my cool air-conditioned face.

quadro

You're a hoot. You put a positive spin on the vehicle purchases and it's OK. I point out that they are probably doing it with a gun to their heads, and I'm anti-company. At my station they've still got some 1984 600's that are in daily use, and some pre-1990 Econolines that are also daily drivers. As the states that have tough air-pollution regs get the newer vehicles that FedEx is more or less forced to buy (like hybrids), the rest of us get California's crap. If Fred could continue to operate smog-belching gas hogs in those states, he would. In other words, he isn't doing most of us any favors.

By the way, that pure-electric van that did the Route 66 tour is an off the shelf Navistar model available to anyone. FedEx tried to present it as new technology that they (FedEx) had pioneered. Uh, no. Anyone else notice it had a tractor-trailer chase vehicle so they could keep it running and/or tote it up the mountain passes? Fred will probably buy a handful of them so he can claim we're "lean and green", and continue to operate a vast fleet of gas vehicles that grossly pollute the air.

Fred isn't afraid to spend the big bucks on planes though. Seems there's always money for those, and none for us.
Fair enough. For some reason I thought getting new vehicles was a positive thing. I stand corrected.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think it's funny how people care about global warming. I'm in the midwest and if it means that in 20 years Florida's gonna be a rain forest and the midwest is going to have tropical winters, hell, I can live with that. Losing coast line? Not in Iowa. Suppose other places will grow corn, maybe we'll grow sugar cane. Who knows? Seems like it can all work out and all the doomsday talk is overblown to me. So yes. Today when I go into work and fire up my 2002 Ford E350 V-10 4x4 Quigly conversion delivery van and pull out of the terminal, it will be with a clear conscience and a smile on my cool air-conditioned face.

Fred would like you to put decals on your truck that say it's a "hybrid" or running on natural gas, or hydrogen,or whatever else sounds good. While you're at it, slap a "Gulf Sea Turtle Rescue" sign on it and everything will be hunky-dory.