address corections??

T

trickpony1

danny,
keep talking like this and the man in the black trenhcoat and violin case from corporate may be knocking on your door. LOL

B

blkcloud

I have done a pretty close spot check on my usps deliveries..so far out of about 600 shipments i have checked about 200 of them and they do average a 2 day delivery..knock on wood...not a single package has been lost..2 have been damaged,my UPS bill used to be a average of 400 to 600 per week..I got one about 3 weeks ago for...get this...86.00...lol....and your right..my inside account rep did call..she is the 3rd one i have had this year..

Back to my original post..if some one sends me a check and i ship to the address given,and its wrong..i do not feel that i should have to pay for their mistake...I dont know the answer but it should'nt fall on me..
I am just a small peon in the shipping world..not a drop in the ups bucket but..all of this extry charges i get have lead me to go another route..
With in the last 250 or so bills i have ever gotten from ups..i have never seen one corrected to my advantage..not to say that there hasnt been one but i havent seen it..

U

upsdude

blkcloud.........

I agree, you shouldn't have to pay for address corrections. Your CUSTOMER should, but since we have no direct contact with YOUR customer, you get the bill. I'd suggest some sort of billing program that allows you to get that 5 bucks back from your customer. If they use a credit card, debit the account for $5.00. I'd imagine you could redesign your receipts to allow this option. Mail them a bill for $5.00. If you're getting as many as you claim, a 37 cent stamp may be a good investment.

I'm not trying to beat up on you but seriously, take a hard look at options.

U

upsdude

Oh, one more thing. If you get deliveries everyday, switch to Internet shipping. Hand the packages to the delivery driver, no pickup fee.

If you need separate pick up and delivery times, call the local center and speak to the center manager. Many folks do just that and the situation is taken care of.

B

blkcloud

hmm..if i switch to internet shipping does my tier level change..??
also

"but since we have no direct contact with YOUR customer"
here is my question..you do have direct contact with my customer..hand them the bill for 5.00 when you hand them the package...then let them call me and dispute it..if its my mistake i'll make it right..if not then they are the guilty party..kinda like postage due on receipt..its worked for years with the usps..

U

upsdude

"hand them the bill for 5.00 when you hand them the package"

One problem, they're not the shipper, you are. Honestly, I think if UPS wanted to make money from AC's they'd RTS the package and have you ship it all over again.

Another option. Refuse to pay the AC charges, let them take you to court. Plead your case to a Judge.

Contact other shippers, get their view. Heck, you guys may band together and file a class action law suit.

Complaining about it here will get you nothing. BTW, I probably save shippers a lot of money, I don't AC anything unless there is absolutely no way for me to make service without clerical help.

O

ok2bclever

As far as contact with YOUR customer, we don't have that for most residential stops which it sounds like is your typical customer.

No offense, but it continues to amaze me that you feel it is the shipper that should be responsible and incur the problems of YOUR customer's actions.

As you have mentioned that it would be easy to collect the five bucks (and I have explained that we don't make contact with the majority of your customers) I would like respectfully offer the suggestion that you use the US Mail which as you mentioned is very cheap and you have found quite reliable via it's 23 cent Postcard monopoly to pass on the address correction charge directly to your customer with where and/or how to send this payment and a contact email response address if they are disputing the validity of the charge.

I suggest you add on the miniscule .23 charge onto our address correction charge and a small handling charge to offset this expense to you.

That way YOUR customer will pay for their mistake or give you information on why our charge to you is wrong so you can dispute it.

That would be fair for all parties involved.

If you find an inordinate amount of false address correction charges you should take it up with your account exec.

I will say if you have disputed an address correction charge and have never had an address correcton charge be removed then you are either really bad at it or your sending to bad addresses every time.

"and picks up my packages...NO CHARGE..."

So, you get the first class stamps for free do you, could you tell me how?

You really have to face reality and admit a business that doesn't "charge" for a service is not really a business.

Otherwise, somewhere there is a charge.

Actually, we deliver to you everyday for free.

Your shipper charges you something I imagine, but we don't.

We deliver to you for free.

When you want something shipped then we charge you.

If you use the internet and we "come to deliver every day" the driver will pick those up "No charge".

I don't know what "tier level" you are on or what discounts are involved with that, but as you describe yourself as a "peon" shipper it shouldn't be much and the internet method has a built in discount (I believe 15% from our counter charges although you cannot quote me on that) that you can check out yourself by getting the online quote and comparing the charges for "drop off" and counter shipping.

Priority Mail is not guaranteed, nor insured, nor trackable.

If you need those features we are competitive even though the PM is subsidized by the first class stamp.

If you don't, PM is the cheaper alternative and stamps will ultimately go up (because they can and others will continue to use the US Mail's packaging service even if you didn't).

So you really are kind of comparing apples to oranges and saying I want oranges, but I don't see why you cannot sell them to me at apple prices.

As far as transit and shipping charges the higher in weight you go the more it falls into our favor even with their unfair subsidies.

Same with transit, there is a huge one day radius from your location (or any location) that is guaranteed and trackable by us that will still take the "two to three" days via Priority Mail and without any sort of guarantee or trackability.

Obviously, if your business is mostly 2 pound packages from TN to CA perhaps you should be using the post office.

We have a more economical choice of "basic" that still has trackability, but I think that is just available to high volume shippers.

PS - the "uncaring" 800 number are not really UPS employees, but rather is a farmed out minimum wage or less, third party system representing (or perhaps misrepresenting as the case may be)just like every other major corporation currently uses.

As far as venting, that is what most of us use this forum for.

If you are here asking legitimate questions, rather than just here to bad mouth UPS, most of us will be happy to help you if we can and that actually IS for free.

J

johnny

"Refuse to pay the AC charges, let them take you to court"
If you do this they will most likely suspend your account for failure to pay.
"just here to bad mouth UPS"

G

gloryb

blkcloud,

If you want to save the $5 address correction, verify the address at www.anywho.com. I use it all the time, for addresses and phone numbers. It has both business and residential addresses.

D

dannyboy

"hand them the bill for 5.00 when you hand them the package"

Ok we can do that, but then that makes the delivery a cod delivery and the charge for that is 7.50 now I believe. So we will collect our 5 bucks from your customer for our address correction and send you a bill for 7.5 and you come out ahead?

Come on now. Seriously. IF you screw up in the typing of an address, then bite the bullet and pay the charge. If it is a correct address then contest the charges. The best way to do that is to use a credit card when paying.

This would also be the way to go if you used internet shipping, and that would save you the pickup charge. And if you have a shipment to go out after the driver has been by, take it to the ups store, a drop box etc. No big deal.

Now if you want to get real help for real problems, this could be the place. If you just want to vent and bitch a bit, go for it, but it looses its appeal after a while.

Ball is in your court. Play it.

d

P

pd109

blkcloud,cancel your daily p/u,switch to online shipping,and give the driver everything bigger than you can fit through a coat hanger.Take anything smaller and drop it in a UPS letterbox.
You`ll have no weekly p/u charge and everything you can squeeze in a UPS pak is at least a buck cheaper per pkg.This only applies to the higher service levels.The boxes usually dont get p/u till 6 pm,so if your driver delivers and picks up at the same time,you still have the letterbox option after he leaves.You also have the option of getting the driver to make a 2nd pickup later in the day,but this one of the biggest pissoffs for the driver,and I`d be apologetic to him at the least,if you do this.Or buy him season tickets to his favorite sports team

D

dannyboy

"You also have the option of getting the driver to make a 2nd pickup later in the day,but this one of the biggest pissoffs for the driver,and I`d be apologetic to him at the least,if you do this.Or buy him season tickets to his favorite sports team"

That might be the way you boys north of the border do things but not down here. HEre we do our jobs without getting pissed and the customer should never have to appologise for shiping UPS, ever.

If you call UPS after 12, figure that the pick up will be the next day, as it takes a while for the request to be processed. So your best bet would be to take it to the UPS store or drop box. OR ask the driver where the latest pickup is that is close to you and leave it there.

d

H

hr_guy

Don't know what you guys do, but I push the PKG Info button and do an on-route address correction for customers who don't change their addresses when they've moved, or they just have a bad address on the label (good example is "5 xxx shopping mall" when the real address is "54954 route 78" or something. Putting in the wrong address often leads to EDD problems, and if I forget to double check for the package before I go there the first time(looking ahead in EDD), I'll give the package to the clerk.

R

racerx

If you havent cancelled your daily pick up account, you might want to wait and do a quick calculation before you do. I can help if you would like.

UPS has 3 different rate structures: Retail, On- Demand, and Daily Pickup. Retail is the highest rate by far, and it is charged by the UPS Stores and the UPS Customer Centers located at our facilities. You do not need a UPS shipper number to ship a package this way. The next level is On Demand. This structure is for smaller accounts who do not have a daily pick up. You can use InternetShip to process these packages and you need a 6 digit shipper number. These rates are lower than the Retail rates, but still more expensive than the next level, Daily Pick Up rates. Daily Pickup rates are the lowest base rates that we charge and to get them, you have to have a daily pick up (which you are currently being charged for) or meet other requirements such as a minimum weekly billing level. You can use WorldShip to process orders if you are a Daily Pickup account.

But first, we can figure out which way you could save the most amount of money. Blkcloud, if you can answer these questions, we can figure out which way you can save the most amount of money:
1. Does your bill average more than $105 per week for the past 6 months?
2. What is the average weight of your shipments?
3. How far do most of your shipments go? I know you are in Tennessee. Do most of your shipments stay in the southeast, or do most of them go to the west coast? Or do you ship all over the country?
4. Do you ship most of your package via ground, or do you use any air services?
5. How many packages do you average each week by ground? By air (if you use this service)?
6. How much are you being charged for your weekly pickup?

With this info, we can compare your costs (in general terms) of shipping as a Daily Pick up account with that of being an On Demand customer.

B

blkcloud

I will say if you have disputed an address correction charge and have never had an address correcton charge be removed then you are either really bad at it or your sending to bad addresses every time.
I have had them removed..
and picks up my packages...NO CHARGE..."

So, you get the first class stamps for free do you, could you tell me how?
ru u a member of ups?? united pot smokers?? i never mentioned getting free stamps..lol
Actually, we deliver to you everyday for free.
if you deliver to me free then where does the money i send my vendor for shipping go??
Priority Mail is not guaranteed, nor insured, nor trackable.
go to usps website..it is (at a extra charge) insurable,and trackable..lol
As far as transit and shipping charges the higher in weight you go the more it falls into our favor even with their unfair subsidies.
ur right..anything over 4 lbs goes buster brown..
IF you screw up in the typing of an address, then bite the bullet and pay the charge.
this i do...

B

blkcloud

I`d be apologetic to him at the least,if you do this.Or buy him season tickets to his favorite sports team
well..I do sponsor my ups drivers racecar...how's that..lol

M

mattwtrs

I made an on demand pick up on Friday and the lady asked me why the internet shipping program told her the address was not valid when she processed it. The packages where going to a school and she said the place has not moved in 20 years and that's the address she was given by the school. I told her maybe she should find out their street number and use it. I know it seems like a little thing but the street number probably is needed for the system to verify a correct address. I am surprised she has never been charged for an address correction because I know the center where the packages where going is a PAS center!

I

iloadthetruck

PAS guy here. One of the reasons PAS works is because someone actually goes through the incoming package data and corrects any of the addresses PAS can't recognize. As has been said here, PAS REQUIRES a precise, on-point address. The system won't recognize a bulk stop by looking at a consignee like a flesh-and-blood preloader can, it needs an ADDRESS. Where I am there are several zip codes near each other where no one could ever remember which zip code they were in. Sometimes the change is transparent, it happens when the package is electronically fixed. Sometimes it gets entered as an exception. The one thing I've learned from this is that people are really, really stupid when it comes to addresses - they'll get the zip code wrong, the street name will be spelled in a totally unrecognizable way, they'll enter an address range, their homegrown software doesn't transmit all the address info to UPS, etc., etc. Not only does this create headches for everyone down the line, the customer might not see their package on time. $5 just barely covers the amount of work these sorts of packages create.

blkcloud, let me make a suggestion - this is something I have had happen to me - make sure that you verify your customers' addresses. If you continue to ship UPS, make a disclaimer that if they give you a bad address, they are liable for the address correction charge. We are usually spot-on with our address knowledge, but we can be wrong from time to time, however, make sure you communicate to your customer how they should be handing out their street address. (No box numbers. Box numbers are USPS territory, and we cannot go there. It's a violation of federal law for a non-postal worker to place items in any mail recieving location. A lot of people forget about that.)

And dannyboy... nice rebuttals, man... you must be one helluva driver.

D

dannyboy

Well what about a large business that has or could have as many as several hundred addresses, and we take them all to the same place? And since they are private roads, they do not appear on any of our DOL's, but yet they are valid addresses.

d

O

ok2bclever

blkcloud,

Got it, you didn't really come here for answers and solutions, you just came to slam UPS to UPSers.

"united pot smokers","buster brown" real adult and professional.

In all your posts you haven't uttered one word that wasn't basically negative or contentious, nor thanked one person for trying to help you, but that is understandable as you never were really looking for help.