Air Conditioning

Harry Manback

Robot Extraordinaire
I used to tell people that asked if we had air conditioning "why would UPS give us air in the summer when we barely had heat in the winter". My old 6 cube was so drafty I had to slow down to be able to light a cig. A dash fan was a life saver in the summer. Except when you forgot your lit cig was stuck in the cage and when you started it up it fell into the fan and blew hot ashes all over you. That always woke you up in a hurry.

Hah! I feel your pain. Nothing like gettin hot ashes in your whilst driving. Start clawing at your face only to be stopped cold by your visor and sun glasses. Somehow I thought smoking would make me look cool, instead I look like a lunatic trying to tear my face off. :w00t:

DorkHead

AC would be nice but won`t happen. As for power steering, I believe the only reason some have it is because the engine size options for the diesels make it impossible for a direct linkage to the axle. With the older gas models, the small V6 leaves plenty of room for manual steering. Not so with the diesels. Plus, that would be one more thing to fix or replace if the older trucks had PS. A monetery decision like most things at UPS.

W

westsideworma

AC would be nice but won`t happen. As for power steering, I believe the only reason some have it is because the engine size options for the diesels make it impossible for a direct linkage to the axle. With the older gas models, the small V6 leaves plenty of room for manual steering. Not so with the diesels. Plus, that would be one more thing to fix or replace if the older trucks had PS. A monetery decision like most things at UPS.

Actually I'm pretty sure its required now via contract (power steering, low step, and auto tranny)

browniehound

Since we're on the topic of AC. How many times a day are you annoyed by the customer that says "Do you have AC in those things?" Or "It must be really hot in that truck". No lady, we don't have AC. When was the last time you saw a UPS truck with its doors closed?

I've realized something that I would have never noticed if I hadn't joined on with UPS. That is: Most of the general population are IDIOTS! And if they're not they do I good job of disguising their intellegence during our small-talk conversations.

Maybe thats it. These people are probably smart but are horrible at making small-talk, while us drivers are masters of it because its part of our job.

Sorry to get off-topic here, but one thing that really irks me is the "how are you doing?" question. First off, I know you don't really care how I'm doing. Its just that you have beem programmed to say "how are you doing?" when you just want to say hi. I greet people this way: hi jenn. and when she responds, then I'll say how are things going because I'm interested in how her day is going.

I say this, because too many times have I said to a receptionist (usually over 50) hi Mary, and she will respond "Fine thanks, how are you?" . I'm standing there thinking (Mary sweetheart, I said hi, I didn't ask how you were). This is how I know people don't really listen to what you say they only hear they think should be coming out of your mouth.

Griff

I wouldn't want A/C, makes no sense for a package car driver. My doors are never shut, winter or summer, so with the wind I doubt I'd even feel the A/C. I'll take one of those brand new 1100's with power steering, automatic, ultra low step anyday...keep your a/c.

local804

A/C isn't practical on our cars. We stop and start to much. I would rather not have a/c. But I would like to see better ventilation in the package part of the cars. Just last week we have heat index of 105 to 115 every day. Temps were in the high 90's. Ventilation in the back would be better than a/c. Also, would like to see some type of fan in the cab area to move our stagnant air.

Look on the top of your package car. There are 4 holes in the top of each side and a duct coming in from the front. That is our responce to questions about ventilation.

DorkHead

I couldn`t agree with you more, Browniehound. When people ask me " Do you have air conditioning in that thing" I respond with " Ha, I don`t even have power steering!!"

705red

Browncafe Steward
stop your whining!! you should of been here before we were allowed to wear shorts!!!!
I have always wanted to meet one of the horse and carriage operators from ups. Hows your horse doing? When you retired did they let you keep the horse? LOL

Delivered

No crap! I would give up my shoes before I gave up my dash fan. Just ask your mechanic- I think that it was part of the last contract concession that UPS has to provide them on request. I put a water mister above mine and turn it on occasionally and it really cools the air around you. You wouldn't believe the difference!

GREAT IDEA never thought about it, but I do love my dash fan !!!

I think the contract reads that every package car put into service after 1997 will be power steering. I also agree that AC is just not practical. This doesn't stop the fed-ex guy from leaving his truck running while he is at a stop for 10 minutes, lol.

And, no, you can't catch a cold from the cold but it weakens your immune system so you are more prone to catching the virus. And people who cough into their hands make me sick (literally and figuratively). Don't they know they are putting germs on that hand they are going shake with???? Please people, cover your cough or sneeze with anything but your hand!

I agree brownie, can I borrow one of your socks, I feel a sneeze coming.:lol: