Air Driver positions getting replaced by 22.4s?

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
@Boston25 or @wide load might be able to shed some light on this question for you. I don't know if the NE supplement has any 22.4 language in it.
I'm only about 30% confident that it might be true, but I've been hearing chatter about Air Driver slots being eliminated. Doesn't make sense to me, but rumor has it that Air Drivers could be offered to either go 22.4 or work inside at inside rate. Anyone else hear or see anything to that effect? I work in a New England building.
The company really has no clue how or when to use 22.4’s. I’m guessing your air job is safe at minimum to January 15th. My center has 9 22.4’s that are working all driving except they are required a Tuesday through Saturday shift.

Indecisi0n

I'm only about 30% confident that it might be true, but I've been hearing chatter about Air Driver slots being eliminated. Doesn't make sense to me, but rumor has it that Air Drivers could be offered to either go 22.4 or work inside at inside rate. Anyone else hear or see anything to that effect? I work in a New England building.
30% isn't very much .

barnyard

KTM rider
We have had an air exception driver bid hung for over a week in my building with no signatures. If no one signs those bids, the company will need to add it to 22.4 positions to get the work done.

KoennenTiger

We have had an air exception driver bid hung for over a week in my building with no signatures. If no one signs those bids, the company will need to add it to 22.4 positions to get the work done.

We've had 22.4 bids hung for weeks now. No signatures just like we keep hiring drivers from off the streets. Nobody wants these jobs anymore.

Funny in college the libertarian capitalists taught me that when nobody wants the job the companies will raise wages to get their employees. I don't see that happening. Rather last week I pulled in 56 hours. And here comes peak lol.

Oh well I did tell the Mrs when we first became official all those years ago. I'm an ups driver. Don't expect me to be home a lot.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
It's probably true

Misthios

I love my job. Don't you?
We've had 22.4 bids hung for weeks now. No signatures just like we keep hiring drivers from off the streets. Nobody wants these jobs anymore.

Funny in college the libertarian capitalists taught me that when nobody wants the job the companies will raise wages to get their employees. I don't see that happening. Rather last week I pulled in 56 hours. And here comes peak lol.

Oh well I did tell the Mrs when we first became official all those years ago. I'm an ups driver. Don't expect me to be home a lot.
Same here. We can't even fill our RPCD slots that have been vacant for awhile. With 3 possibly 4 retirements taking place by November 30th. They did have a shining beacon of Hope in trying to hire an ungodly amount of Pvd drivers. That will apparently fix everything for peak or so my center manager tell us.

specter208

All of our PT EAM air drivers are Tue thru Saturday. We have Saturday Ground but no 22.4 drivers yet. I suppose a lot will depend on how many extra package cars and how much extra work is available. Even Preload/air driver could easily be switched to midnight/preload.
My building is killing like 5-6 package cars at the same time. One of them has a reman Trans put in not too long ago. It's going to scrap anyways.

Airbear

Thankyou for your hard work! It's sturdy men like you that help keep my easy days from sucking. From what i've seen at my large hub, the 22.4 bids from all the centers are unsigned here too, it's pretty hilarious.
I agree the wages aren't going up yet, not when everyone who hasn't worked for UPS or in logistics/freight thinks its an easy ticket because of the top compensation/benefits. UPS will always be able to fill-up with outside hires if it needs to.

FlipOldman

In our building we had a PM Air Driver move to mornings and another one retire earlier this year, and UPS still hasn't replaced either one. Now they can't cover all the PM Air routes and they're giving them to friend/t drivers and they're making senior Air Drivers cover routes they've never done before. It's a mess. Why don't they hire more Air Drivers? These are union jobs that need to be filled.

In our building we had a PM Air Driver move to mornings and another one retire earlier this year, and UPS still hasn't replaced either one. Now they can't cover all the PM Air routes and they're giving them to friend/t drivers and they're making senior Air Drivers cover routes they've never done before. It's a mess. Why don't they hire more Air Drivers? These are union jobs that need to be filled.
Because they want them filled with 22.4 jobs.

FlipOldman

Honestly. Why would they hire an air driver when they can have the flexibility to put on a 22.4 driver at the same rate and he can deliver ground?

Well, whether they're air drivers or 22.4 drivers they're not getting hired here. I'm one of the senior air drivers who's getting put in different areas every day and I'm getting pissed.