Air Driver positions getting replaced by 22.4s?

Method Mensch

That us the whole reason they created them right was because they can use them however they like air, eams, ground, or pickups which eliminates pt people who have been with the company for decades. Not sure what advice I would give to part time air drivers but make the move on your own terms before the layoffs begin.
One Management guy said it will not be wholesale,it will be done on a building by building basis. It all depends on the volume of air that comes through that building.

542thruNthru

That us the whole reason they created them right was because they can use them however they like air, eams, ground, or pickups which eliminates pt people who have been with the company for decades. Not sure what advice I would give to part time air drivers but make the move on your own terms before the layoffs begin.

Become a 22.4?

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
We have a good amount of air drivers in our building. The majority went part time because they own businesses or have families. Its hard when they have built there life around a job and a schedule to have it disappear. I am sure some will get laid off all based off what there seniority is.

Become a 22.4?

Method Mensch

We have a good amount of air drivers in our building. The majority went part time because they own businesses or have families. Its hard when they have built there life around a job and a schedule to have it disappear. I am sure some will get laid off all based off what there seniority is.
If your position is eliminated, you can bump anyone who has less seniority. In my building, Air Drivers generally have enough juice to bump folks on the inside. They're all part time. They might not like the time slots or pay and choose to leave, but our Air Drivers don't have to worry about not having work in the case of the positions getting axed. Plus, they can always go for a 22.4 spot.

All this is speculation. The Union says it's not happening.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Even your part time air drivers can bump inside positions? So some of our guys can go back to what they were doing insidebfore they took part time air jobs? And its speculation everywhere alot of talk in our building and I have alot of air drivers asking about what is gonna happen to them. Our union seems to be very vague which has alot of them very on edge.

Method Mensch

Even your part time air drivers can bump inside positions? So some of our guys can go back to what they were doing insidebfore they took part time air jobs? And its speculation everywhere alot of talk in our building and I have alot of air drivers asking about what is gonna happen to them. Our union seems to be very vague which has alot of them very on edge.
Part time Air Drivers are obviously part time. Part timers can bump any part timer with less seniority in the event of a position being eliminated. This is clearly laid out in The Contract.

Method Mensch

Latest word on the subject is that they will not eliminate Air Driver positions. They did say, however, that there will be no extra work- you do your air loop and punch out. That applies to peak, as well. If I were a betting man (which I am), I'd bet that after a week or two of peak they might be singing a different song. Time will tell.

jada miller

I've reached out and have been told The Union is not aware of anything regarding the rumors, but drivers in other buildings insist that they've been approached by Management and shop stewards and it's already occurring in other buildings.

It makes more sense to me that someone in Management is stirring up the :censored2:storm just to get some Air Drivers to panic and sign up for the 22.4 slots.

I'm more curious whether anyone anywhere else has seen or heard anything similar elsewhere. My instinct tells me it's BS, but I've been wrong before.

I had a conversation yesterday with boss who showed me an email from his bosses that they are trying to take away any ground pay from air drivers. They are going to have 22.4 drivers sweep all the stops and that's really it.

Method Mensch

I had a conversation yesterday with boss who showed me an email from his bosses that they are trying to take away any ground pay from air drivers. They are going to have 22.4 drivers sweep all the stops and that's really it.
Oh horrors! I'll have to spend peak in my lambskin slippers with a hot cup of coaco with a little something in it. Every time a brownie comes down the street, I'll go in front of my house and shout words of encouragement. 264593_926_41.jpeg

derrick

i'm full time combo. let them eliminate my job lol i'll go inside at top pay and top pay for both shifts lol eliminate me and give me a big raise :) if you came in under the old contract or been there more then 2 years you are at top scale. so if they do you can go 22.4 at top scale automatically or go in the inside at top scale automatically. because UPS can't make you go back through progression after you've already been through it.

542thruNthru

i'm full time combo. let them eliminate my job lol i'll go inside at top pay and top pay for both shifts lol eliminate me and give me a big raise :) if you came in under the old contract or been there more then 2 years you are at top scale. so if they do you can go 22.4 at top scale automatically or go in the inside at top scale automatically. because UPS can't make you go back through progression after you've already been through it.

What region are you under?

Daniel Evans

I am an air driver in salt lake utah that had a part time bid run that they just replaced with 22.4 drivers. Luckily was able to go coverage feeder driver about three months ago and now there is 22 people under me on seniority list for feeders. They are hiring like crazy right now for feeders.

Method Mensch

At least in my building HR sup told me a month or so ago quote “air driver jobs are going away...that work will be done by 22.4s now”.
From discussions I've had with Management, HR, and The Union, I think the upshot is no more 60 hour weeks at ground rate for Air Drivers. They'll likely reduce the number of Air Driver slots, as well, but that depends on the volume of air in your building.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Was it an 8 hour bid air run? You weren't a part time air driver were you?
I am an air driver in salt lake utah that had a part time bid run that they just replaced with 22.4 drivers. Luckily was able to go coverage feeder driver about three months ago and now there is 22 people under me on seniority list for feeders. They are hiring like crazy right now for feeders.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I agree we had air drivers make a killing for awhile but thats probably over for them now. Just based off the amount of air drivers I see in our buidling we will have an abundance of guys not doing much air at all anymore.

From discussions I've had with Management, HR, and The Union, I think the upshot is no more 60 hour weeks at ground rate for Air Drivers. They'll likely reduce the number of Air Driver slots, as well, but that depends on the volume of air in your building.

Last edited:

Method Mensch

Do you plan on spending your day under a bridge in those slippers? Don't know many people getting rich on a 3 hour guarantee everyday!
Fortunately, I don't depend on UPS pay the full freight to keep a roof over our heads, food on the table and clothes on our backs. We do, however, rely on the health insurance.

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
Good! I am friends with alot of our air drivers in the building and I worry what there fate will be after this 22.4 crap. Most part timers stayed for the health insurance.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
You might want to change your screen name or you could give out your SSN,
Employee ID, bank account number and any passwords that may apply