Air Driver positions getting replaced by 22.4s?

Method Mensch

I'm only about 30% confident that it might be true, but I've been hearing chatter about Air Driver slots being eliminated. Doesn't make sense to me, but rumor has it that Air Drivers could be offered to either go 22.4 or work inside at inside rate. Anyone else hear or see anything to that effect? I work in a New England building.

Staydryitsraining

Heard 22.4s arent allowed to double shift to get their 8 either. Inside and remaining time has to be on road or file grievance. I can definitely see air drivers being done with.

Method Mensch

Sooo... My understanding heis that the reason they build routes with OT is that it's cheaper to pay OT than pay regular rate plus the "wage burden" money for bennies like workman's comp, health and welfare $, pension contributions, etc., which all based on an 8 hour day. When they pay the OT it is cheaper than regular pay + the burden. Still not making sense. Not every driver is on the 9.5 list.

Method Mensch

@Boston25 or @wide load might be able to shed some light on this question for you. I don't know if the NE supplement has any 22.4 language in it.

I've reached out and have been told The Union is not aware of anything regarding the rumors, but drivers in other buildings insist that they've been approached by Management and shop stewards and it's already occurring in other buildings.

It makes more sense to me that someone in Management is stirring up the :censored2:storm just to get some Air Drivers to panic and sign up for the 22.4 slots.

I'm more curious whether anyone anywhere else has seen or heard anything similar elsewhere. My instinct tells me it's BS, but I've been wrong before.

derrick

i think its crap. i'm a full time combo air/hub. if they eliminate my job they would have to give me a full time hub or driving job plus keep my progression pay and benefits.

542thruNthru

i think its crap. i'm a full time combo air/hub. if they eliminate my job they would have to give me a full time hub or driving job plus keep my progression pay and benefits.

You don't have exception air drivers where you work?

Those are the air jobs that would be eaten up by 22.4s

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
22.4 is already shaping up to be a replacement for cover driving. Not an air driver. They might allow an hour or two of preload time as well.

I do not see air drivers delivering ground anymore. Most of them work inside half of every day regardless.

Some air drivers get called to work around 5-6AM around here so it makes sense to fill a vacant assignment left by a preloader/air driver to a 22.4

Peppermint Patty

Cardboard Pusher
I have also heard this rumor but have been assuring the few part time air drivers we have that nothing has been said yet. They did away with Saturday air without a word to the Saturday air drivers so it would not be shocking if one day you just showed up and were placed back in the building never driving air again. With this company you never know. They will not be upfront with you about anything.

I have also heard this rumor but have been assuring the few part time air drivers we have that nothing has been said yet. They did away with Saturday air without a word to the Saturday air drivers so it would not be shocking if one day you just showed up and were placed back in the building never driving air again. With this company you never know. They will not be upfront with you about anything.
Thanks Dennis...

All of our PT EAM air drivers are Tue thru Saturday. We have Saturday Ground but no 22.4 drivers yet. I suppose a lot will depend on how many extra package cars and how much extra work is available. Even Preload/air driver could easily be switched to midnight/preload.

Mr.Blonde

Only way outs inna box
All of our PT EAM air drivers are Tue thru Saturday. We have Saturday Ground but no 22.4 drivers yet. I suppose a lot will depend on how many extra package cars and how much extra work is available. Even Preload/air driver could easily be switched to midnight/preload.

The “22.4’s” in my center have only been driving. Several months now and they still haven’t gone in for a shift on the inside

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Here, we’ve had several new guys fail their packets over the summer. They are now utility. After a certain amount of time passes as utility, they automatically qualify for FT 22.4. That’s whats happening here anyways.

Boston25

I'm only about 30% confident that it might be true, but I've been hearing chatter about Air Driver slots being eliminated. Doesn't make sense to me, but rumor has it that Air Drivers could be offered to either go 22.4 or work inside at inside rate. Anyone else hear or see anything to that effect? I work in a New England building.
It’s exactly that a rumor. UPS would have to negotiate with the union before a change like that. I guess we will see what happens in February.