All Drivers return to bldg and off the clock by 6:45 Sheet remaining stops as E C

bumped

Re: All Drivers return to bldg and off the clock by 6:45 Sheet remaining stops as E

True but that's the rules of the game. I quit worrying about that a long time ago and my life has been much better. I look for those moments of Zen.
I just make sure I cover myself, although I honestly have not had problems with that in the last 10 years or so.

Me too, but I just stopped caring. I do my job as I'm told to do it which makes it much less stressfull. Document everything to CYA.

tieguy

Banned
Re: All Drivers return to bldg and off the clock by 6:45 Sheet remaining stops as E

Management confirmation that we are nothing more than cogs in the machine.

Dont twist what I said to make it more then what I said.

you guys dont want to believe that any of us in management care about our people therefore I stopped going through the wasted exercise of aruging that point.

However those of you who live in the world of corporate evil screwing the working man will believe that management will try to improve safety to save money.

What I did with that statement was prove that management does care about safety on a level that fits your hate trip for management.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Hoaxster,

Anyone who works for UPS, even for a short time, will know how hard it is to get low level management to reduce anything to writing.

If an honest person is uncomfortable with something local management is doing it probably would be a good idea to get needed guidance.

No one at UPS at any level has the right or authority to behave in an unethical way.

It is every employee's responsibility to report suspected or known ethical violations.

Sincerely,
I

Some people don't seem to have the ability to make judgment calls as to what is unethical or not ...

Sincerly,
H

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Me too, but I just stopped caring. I do my job as I'm told to do it which makes it much less stressful. Document everything to CYA.

Perhaps "caring" is not the best word to use. I might say "I just stopped subjecting myself to the angst and stress associated with determining the "correctness, honesty, integrity, truthfulness, honorable" of directions I am given to execute.

I may question and ask for clarification but if my management tells me to do something, I do it, albeit, sometimes only after I have asked for clarification in SYSM or an e-mail to clarify exactly what I heard and what I am being asked to do. Like I said, this has happened just a few times in my 37 years at UPS and every time I got a "yes, please proceed reply." I always assume that my management has access to information that I do not which is why I am confused. So it's not that I don't "care", I am "relieved" of making that decision.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Perhaps "caring" is not the best word to use. I might say "I just stopped subjecting myself to the angst and stress associated with determining the "correctness, honesty, integrity, truthfulness, honorable" of directions I am given to execute.

I may question and ask for clarification but if my management tells me to do something, I do it, albeit, sometimes only after I have asked for clarification in SYSM or an e-mail to clarify exactly what I heard and what I am being asked to do. Like I said, this has happened just a few times in my 37 years at UPS and every time I got a "yes, please proceed reply." I always assume that my management has access to information that I do not which is why I am confused. So it's not that I don't "care", I am "relieved" of making that decision.
I always assume that it's their company, their customers, their code, and their decision. They tell me to sheet packages as EC, I sheet'em as EC.

over9five

Staff member

I always assume that it's their company, their customers, their code, and their decision. They tell me to sheet packages as EC, I sheet'em as EC.

As would I. But it would worry me what the customer saw when they tracked it.

Are we being honest with our customer or not? By sheeting it EC, are we jipping our customer out of a refund that they would have received if we had sheeted it as missed?

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Are we being honest with our customer or not? By sheeting it EC, are we jipping our customer out of a refund that they would have received if we had sheeted it as missed?

Ommmmmmm ...Ommmmm .... Ommmmm... (Zen moment)
It's not your call so don't worry about it.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Agreed, we are also the ones who have to face them the next day.
It can be as embarrassing as showing up with a beat up package.
Often it isn't about a refund, rather a present, medication, etc. that didn't arrive when needed.
All things that don't show up on a spread sheet or report the next day.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

Ommmmmmm ...Ommmmm .... Ommmmm... (Zen moment)
It's not your call so don't worry about it.

Ommmmmm....Ommmmm......Ommmmm....
It's not your call to tell us what to worry about.

Again, the decision makers aren't facing the music the next day.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Eh, I've seen some pretty crazy stuff in the past (like being told to use NR1 instead of EC, that was a classic) but honestly what I see more these days is management avoiding using codes that negate the refund so as to avoid the appearance of using any excuse to jip the customers out of their money. For instance on Thursday we had late airs due to the snow and using "weather delay" for the late air would have been appropriate, but we were instructed to use "other" instead.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Ommmmmm....Ommmmm......Ommmmm....
It's not your call to tell us what to worry about.

Again, the decision makers aren't facing the music the next day.

That's part of the reason you are paid the big bucks! :wink2:

Feel free to worry about anything you want to ... was not implying that anyone should tell you what to worry about. That is inside your head and no individual, no company, no government can control that.

over9five

Staff member

Eh, I've seen some pretty crazy stuff in the past (like being told to use NR1 instead of EC, that was a classic) but honestly what I see more these days is management avoiding using codes that negate the refund so as to avoid the appearance of using any excuse to jip the customers out of their money. For instance on Thursday we had late airs due to the snow and using "weather delay" for the late air would have been appropriate, but we were instructed to use "other" instead.
Sometimes we use "other" because "weather" was already entered for the planeload. So even tho we use "other", it's "weather".

Whether or not we use weather or other its weather.....

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Money won't shut us up.

That's real friggin' obvious.:wink2:

Feel free to worry about anything you want to ... was not implying that anyone should tell you what to worry about. That is inside your head and no individual, no company, no government can control that.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hoke, I admit I am surprised by your nonchalant attitude on this. There have been some very good (and some not so good) points made on this subject. It is very frustrating to be told to be off the road at a certain time when you know damn well that you can safely deliver what you have left and be back at the building in time for the air shuttle. It is doubly frustrating to know that what you will bring back today will only be added to what you will have tomorrow.

Our center has both rural and city routes, roughly a 2:1 ratio. When the center manager does set a curfew it is primarily for the rural drivers as the roads outside of the city are usually worse. He allows the city drivers to use their best judgement to safely deliver as much as they can while making sure the air gets back in time. He knows that whatever is EC'd today does not disappear. He also makes it very clear during his PCM's on snowy days that safety is first and foremost and that we should try to make attempts at alternate delivery points rather than drive down an unplowed road. For example, if we know that Over9Five lives out in the middle of nowhere but works at the local hardware store we should try to deliver his package there.

It should be noted that the misuse of EC is not limited to management.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Hoke, I admit I am surprised by your nonchalant attitude on this.

Perhaps I did not state my points clearly enough. It really has nothing to do with EC.

One point was that it is useless to "worry", "fret" or whatever over things that you have no control or authority over. Really nothing more than that.
Just a life lesson I have learned. It allows me to concentrate on those things I can influence and make a difference. I dislike wasting my time worrying about about things I can't change or influence.

The other point is to question the Integrity of a decision from a position of ignorance. UPS "guarantees" are administered by various systems that help Customer Service Representatives and other UPS personnel to appropriately reply to customers and process GSR requests. No one on BC, including me, knows what codes are used to trigger GSR denials at a center level for a given event. And as Ovah intimated, many of codes are administered at the ULC (Unit Load Container) level so it does not matter what the driver enters as an exception code in regards to a GSR denial.

Integrity

Binge Poster

Some people don't seem to have the ability to make judgment calls as to what is unethical or not ...

Sincerly,
H
Hoaxster,

I agree.

I believe that is why UPS wants every employee to report any known or suspected ethical violations.

It is very important for any employee who may be uncomfortable with any direction that they are given to get guidance.

Just because they are uncomfortable doesn't mean they are right, but they do need to get guidance.

All corporations the size of UPS need these kinds of checks and balances in place to help weed out the destructive influences that exist within them.

Sincerely,
I

bumped

Hoke, I admit I am surprised by your nonchalant attitude on this. There have been some very good (and some not so good) points made on this subject. It is very frustrating to be told to be off the road at a certain time when you know damn well that you can safely deliver what you have left and be back at the building in time for the air shuttle. It is doubly frustrating to know that what you will bring back today will only be added to what you will have tomorrow.

Our center has both rural and city routes, roughly a 2:1 ratio. When the center manager does set a curfew it is primarily for the rural drivers as the roads outside of the city are usually worse. He allows the city drivers to use their best judgement to safely deliver as much as they can while making sure the air gets back in time. He knows that whatever is EC'd today does not disappear. He also makes it very clear during his PCM's on snowy days that safety is first and foremost and that we should try to make attempts at alternate delivery points rather than drive down an unplowed road. For example, if we know that Over9Five lives out in the middle of nowhere but works at the local hardware store we should try to deliver his package there.

It should be noted that the misuse of EC is not limited to management.

Its not always about what time the usual pull is. When there is adverse weather sometimes the trailers are pulled earlier to accomodate that weather.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Hoaxster,

I agree.

I believe that is why UPS wants every employee to report any known or suspected ethical violations.

It is very important for any employee who may be uncomfortable with any direction that they are given to get guidance.

Just because they are uncomfortable doesn't mean they are right, but they do need to get guidance.

All corporations the size of UPS need these kinds of checks and balances in place to help weed out the destructive influences that exist within them.

Sincerely,
I

Fair enuf.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture

One point was that it is useless to "worry", "fret" or whatever over things that you have no control or authority over. Really nothing more than that.
Just a life lesson I have learned. It allows me to concentrate on those things I can influence and make a difference. I dislike wasting my time worrying about about things I can't change or influence.

A convenient twist to the serenity prayer.
Unfortunately we aren't talking about a disease like alcoholism, rather a lack of dishonesty and integrity.
If enough people are concerned enough about any issue, change is attainable.
Apathy and complacency affords people exactly what they deserve.