Another One Bites The Dust......

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
BTW, our preload sup REFUSES to load when we are in the predicament(that they created). She tried once during peak. After about 15 minutes, she was calling the center manager at home(1:30am). He must have told her he wasn't coming in, because she went back to area all red faced. After that, I learned a new style of loading. Over the head with a one hand throw into the pile behind you. Three trucks is all she had. That pile was huge!!! I never failed at any opportunity to remind her of that day!

They choose the worst, weakest types to oversee the production, which they never put into production themselves other then printing out a few papers here and there. Sure, thats totally worth a grand a week. Last time our fulltime soup loaded a car ( during training ) she missloaded 30+ each day. Thus spending the rest of the 30 days ( 15 days of her training ) up in small sort whereas you do next to nothing. UPS is too bias against females working here. No offence other attendance of this forum, its truth.

I hate the fact of knowing this. Theres males working here 10-20 years in preload that never get menctioned. Yet the female preloading for 6 months gets everything handed to them like they were here for just as long.

Stright up, this company sets itself up for fail. While the rest of us have to clean it up because of it.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Thats a problem here at UPS. You cant fire people over performance issues. Or else they would've fired all the drivers, majority of sort and almost all preloaders with 10 or more each week. Theres nothing in the contract about performance, thus, you were fired wrongfully.

If we could fire people for performance issues, we wouldnt have any management left.

soberups

The system didn't fail he did. Do not get confused. PAL say's put it in car 112 then put it in car 112, very simple.

Sounds like a supervisor finally stepped up and got rid of a poor employee early.

Drivers are always complaining about mis-loads, well we solved that.. problem today.

The OP claimed to be a fellow member of Local 162, which means he/she works in either the Swan Island or Tualatin building.

Both buildings are completely cluster-coital as far as the preload is concerned. Swan Island is in the middle of implementing PAS. Tualatin (where I work) was designed to load 124 cars and we are forcing over 160 per day in there.

The current push for production means cars are being eliminated at the last minute while preloaders are being forced to get off of the clock before their assignment is wrapped. If your route is anywhere near one that got eliminated, then your load will probably wind up being a "fling job" (fling the nearest package into the nearest car) and there might be several people who wind up "loading" your route by the time the shift is over.

As I post this during my lunch break, two entire shelves in my car have packages that were PAL'd to a completely different route and then switched over to mine at the last minute. The PAL labels were scribbled out with a crayon and new HIN numbers written manually. The printer which prints out the add/cut sheets is chronically out of paper and/or ink, so cuts frequently occur in EDD but dont wind up actually getting pulled out of your car. I have seen train wrecks that were better organized.

The ONLY thing that matters to the preload management in my building is to get the preloaders off of the clock and get the packages out of the building. Whether or not they actually make service means nothing. 50 misloads a month? Sounds pretty damn good to me when you consider that we (drivers and preload) have been set up to fail by an utterly incompetent IE and management team.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The OP claimed to be a fellow member of Local 162, which means he/she works in either the Swan Island or Tualatin building.

Both buildings are completely cluster-coital as far as the preload is concerned. Swan Island is in the middle of implementing PAS. Tualatin (where I work) was designed to load 124 cars and we are forcing over 160 per day in there.

The current push for production means cars are being eliminated at the last minute while preloaders are being forced to get off of the clock before their assignment is wrapped. If your route is anywhere near one that got eliminated, then your load will probably wind up being a "fling job" (fling the nearest package into the nearest car) and there might be several people who wind up "loading" your route by the time the shift is over.

As I post this during my lunch break, two entire shelves in my car have packages that were PAL'd to a completely different route and then switched over to mine at the last minute. The PAL labels were scribbled out with a crayon and new HIN numbers written manually. The printer which prints out the add/cut sheets is chronically out of paper and/or ink, so cuts frequently occur in EDD but dont wind up actually getting pulled out of your car. I have seen train wrecks that were better organized.

The ONLY thing that matters to the preload management in my building is to get the preloaders off of the clock and get the packages out of the building. Whether or not they actually make service means nothing. 50 misloads a month? Sounds pretty damn good to me when you consider that we (drivers and preload) have been set up to fail by an utterly incompetent IE and management team.

The fact of the matter is, on the preload: add-cuts, breaks, bulk, sorting, helping others are NOT included in your "pull time" when it comes to UPSs numbers. If your pull says 180/hr on their little sheet, you can multiply that by about 1.5x on most pulls and get the true real-world pph.

if you punch out after say, 8:30 or 8:35, and your pull calls for an add-cut which a supervisor or another hourly completes, any packages missed from that typically brutal trail of paperwork are counted as misloads against the initial preloader.

There have been countless times my name has been on the "misload board" with any number ranging from 2 to 10 and on those same days I've had at least two or three people on the pull.

fxdwg

Long Time Member

Page 417

UPSGUY72

Thats a problem here at UPS. You cant fire people over performance issues. Or else they would've fired all the drivers, majority of sort and almost all preloaders with 10 or more each week. Theres nothing in the contract about performance, thus, you were fired wrongfully.

He DIDN'T GET FIRED he was let go before he made his 30 days . Your 30 days is a TRIAL PERIOD to see if your are a got fit for UPS.

grgrcr88

No It's not green grocer!
Why do i keep reading about supervisors working? Do you people realize that you get paid double time for all time a sup works up to 2 hours? File some grievances people!!

I was in the tualatin building. I'm sure you know a "Sharon" not going to mention her last name. I will add she has the worst interpersonal skills I have ever seen in a person. As far as the adds and cuts. 3 times a week it was happening at the end of the day. Even after I left the building they were cutting pieces out of cars. I honestly will take responsibility for some of those misloads but not all of them as I have no control over what happens when they send me home and there are pieces still coming down.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why do i keep reading about supervisors working? Do you people realize that you get paid double time for all time a sup works up to 2 hours? File some grievances people!!
Do you know how many times my BA looked me in the face and said there is nothing he can do? "They have a business to run. Its not their fault no one wants to work for a shrill and a tyrant who will lie about you just to write you up."
I have complained on various threads about the lack of balls in my local. The only building that is in line is Upstate's. The other two buildings are horrible. President just hired another BA(one of our drivers) to try and do something as he left it a :censored2: pile. He couldn't get the heat back on. It took members bitching about OSHA to center manager, for that to work. Have yet to see this guy do anything. Not every local is as strong as yours. Its sad. Why do you think I bitch about Hall and Hoffa? Our prez is one of their boys.

soberups

I was in the tualatin building. I'm sure you know a "Sharon" not going to mention her last name. I will add she has the worst interpersonal skills I have ever seen in a person. As far as the adds and cuts. 3 times a week it was happening at the end of the day. Even after I left the building they were cutting pieces out of cars. I honestly will take responsibility for some of those misloads but not all of them as I have no control over what happens when they send me home and there are pieces still coming down.

I have been witnessing first hand the cluster#$%k that is a Tualatin building preload for the last 24 years.

The facility was built in 1986 and it was overcrowded and functionally obsolete before the ink on the blueprints was even dry. And anybody who works there has been set up to fail before they even set foot in the door.

Throw in the last-minute elimination of routes and the frantic push to get the preloaders off the clock and the packages out of the building, and you have a train wreck masquerading as a preload operation. Accountability? How is it fair to hold any one preloader accountable for misloads that may have occured half an hour after that preloader got sent home?

The technology exists to resolve the problem. We are on PAS, so if every preloader was given a finger scanner they could scan each package and scan the bar code label on the back door of the package car prior to loading it. If they were entering the wrong car an alert tone would sound, and it would be possible to verify who loaded which package into which car. They wont implement this system because it would decrease PPH. As it stands now, there is no way to know who is truly responsible for a given misload. When I get into my car in the AM and see a perfect load, in sequence with all packages faced and lipped, and then look down on the floor and see a jumbled pile of random packages by the back door, I know damn good and well that "my" preloader didnt leave that pile there and any misloads in that pile are not his/her fault.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
He DIDN'T GET FIRED he was let go before he made his 30 days . Your 30 days is a TRIAL PERIOD to see if your are a got fit for UPS.

Hye, I've such types as this case end up getting pushed off else where with it was nice and quiet. This before their 30 days where up. Some people I've seen get hired ended up never being trained on the box line. Whereas the requirement for them and all people for preload ( by their definition of training ) must be trained on the box line first. They cant see investing into a new preloaded unless they understand the belly of the beast.

Yea I know, the charging sup here thinks its a great idea to charge while theres no chargers around, I see him do it all the time.

Some of us know that filing will only cause managers and soups to put a target on our backs. Thus deeming us trouble makers. Which is another whole world of hurt most of us never want to poke at.

ORLY!?!

Master Loader
I have been witnessing first hand the cluster#$%k that is a Tualatin building preload for the last 24 years.

The facility was built in 1986 and it was overcrowded and functionally obsolete before the ink on the blueprints was even dry. And anybody who works there has been set up to fail before they even set foot in the door.

Throw in the last-minute elimination of routes and the frantic push to get the preloaders off the clock and the packages out of the building, and you have a train wreck masquerading as a preload operation. Accountability? How is it fair to hold any one preloader accountable for misloads that may have occured half an hour after that preloader got sent home?

The technology exists to resolve the problem. We are on PAS, so if every preloader was given a finger scanner they could scan each package and scan the bar code label on the back door of the package car prior to loading it. If they were entering the wrong car an alert tone would sound, and it would be possible to verify who loaded which package into which car. They wont implement this system because it would decrease PPH. As it stands now, there is no way to know who is truly responsible for a given misload. When I get into my car in the AM and see a perfect load, in sequence with all packages faced and lipped, and then look down on the floor and see a jumbled pile of random packages by the back door, I know damn good and well that "my" preloader didnt leave that pile there and any misloads in that pile are not his/her fault.

I heard we're supposed to get scanners, at least by our first cars, so if theres any doubt of what pass says then we just scan. Yet I really hawt soup told me once they each cost about 300 dollars a piece. By the chaos and frantic nature of preload, that option is out.

I understand about those nice and neat loads, and yet those random miss loads in the back or in front of the car. People walk around here carrying random packages at the end of the sort, some see the car or think its the car and toss stuff in the back or up fron with the air. Its a reason I dont hurry with my shift, they can tell me to hurry up all they like, I know better. Caught a guy putting an overnight in the back of someone elses car, quickly flowed and gave him a nice few words.

One of the reasons I dont think I want to drive is witnessing all the bad loads I see. I was in a few today, helping a few people out. I always aim for a great load for my drivers, for one it helps them out during a long day. Second it lowers the chance of resends that I will have to deal with the next day. Lastly, I've always said " you should be nice to your drivers, they probably know where you LIVE! ".

soberups

I heard we're supposed to get scanners, at least by our first cars, so if theres any doubt of what pass says then we just scan. Yet I really hawt soup told me once they each cost about 300 dollars a piece. By the chaos and frantic nature of preload, that option is out.

A $300 scanner would pay for itself in about 2 days when you consider how much time, mileage and money gets wasted on the PM side dealing with the misloads that the scanner would eliminate.

Just an update.....I have heard nothing from my local. Have Called 4 Times. No Phone Calls Back Always On The Phone And They Send Me To My BAs Voice Mail....
This Is Ridiculous

iowa boy

Just an update.....I have heard nothing from my local. Have Called 4 Times. No Phone Calls Back Always On The Phone And They Send Me To My BAs Voice Mail....
This Is Ridiculous

Ha, I left a message for our BA to call me last Thursday on my cellphone, and as of the time of this message I still have not heard from him. Maybe next year when he has time he will call me, hopefully....

moreluck

golden ticket member
Ha, I left a message for our BA to call me last Thursday on my cellphone, and as of the time of this message I still have not heard from him. Maybe next year when he has time he will call me, hopefully....
And you PAY for this kind of union service???????