anyone else burnt out yet?

fdxsux

I don't believe the vehicle you drive has anything to do if you are considered DOT. If you are carrying a medical card, you are DOT 24/7. Driving a Sprinter or an Econoline, you are DOT
So if I leave the medical card at home I’m not DOT anymore? If you’re driving a DOT vehicle you are subject to DOT regs. If you’re not driving a DOT vehicle you’re not subject to those regs. It’s the vehicle that matters, not the driver.

Maui

Ok, that is what I was thinking.

So I am DOT until January '21; my manager says since I drive a Sprinter now, I am automatically non DOT and therefore have to work 7 days a week this peak. I did come in last Sunday, but have always figured something wasn't right, especially since earlier this year I drove a Reach when my Sprinter was in the shop.
If this is a route bid, then nothing changes. You would need to be changed by HR with a management request. That's usually pretty simple. It would change automatically only if you accept a Non-DOT position in Workday.

As for Express policy it is driven by your job title. No matter what you drive if your title is DOT you must abide by the DOT rules.

MAKAVELI

So if I leave the medical card at home I’m not DOT anymore? If you’re driving a DOT vehicle you are subject to DOT regs. If you’re not driving a DOT vehicle you’re not subject to those regs. It’s the vehicle that matters, not the driver.
That's not FedEx policy, ttku...

falcon back

Wrong. You are DOT if you have a medical card

HedleyLamarr

If this is a route bid, then nothing changes. You would need to be changed by HR with a management request. That's usually pretty simple. It would change automatically only if you accept a Non-DOT position in Workday.

As for Express policy it is driven by your job title. No matter what you drive if your title is DOT you must abide by the DOT rules.
I was a swing, but bid on a Non-DOT route early this year and got the route. This explains it, thanks. So, I guess I wasn't supposed to drive that Reach when the Sprinter was in the shop. Nothing came of it; I think it happened back in April.

Sorry to derail the thread, I just thought it would be a quick and easy answer. Should have known better.

falcon back

I was a swing, but bid on a Non-DOT route early this year and got the route. This explains it, thanks. So, I guess I wasn't supposed to drive that Reach when the Sprinter was in the shop. Nothing came of it; I think it happened back in April.

Sorry to derail the thread, I just thought it would be a quick and easy answer. Should have known better.
The station I worked at required each swing to be DOT and have a CDL just to make sure they could drive every van in the station and deliver any Haz stop. Since the rules the government put in place that required a CDL have changed over the last few years, I am sure the CDL requirement will go away.

falcon back

And yet you are the one who claimed to be non DOT while being RTD. Get your stories straight bro
Nice story bro. I have had a class A CDL since they were introduced. How the company had me listed is no concern of mine.. Gonna let it go since I retired. The golf course doesn't require a CDL to drive a golf cart.

Last edited:

Star B

White Lightening

If you still had your card and it was valid, then only policy violations happened, but nothing illegal.

!Retired!

Not sure about that. I had to jump through all kinds of hoops with my diabetes for the office that monitors such things. Then my status was changed to non-DOT and they immediately stopped the oversight. I literally was in jeopardy of being pulled off the road until my BMI improved and my blood sugar improved when they dropped the matter.
Being diabetic has its own challenges with DOT
Ok, that is what I was thinking.

So I am DOT until January '21; my manager says since I drive a Sprinter now, I am automatically non DOT and therefore have to work 7 days a week this peak. I did come in last Sunday, but have always figured something wasn't right, especially since earlier this year I drove a Reach when my Sprinter was in the shop.
Go into the intranet and see if they changed your status. As far as DOT is concerned, you are still DOT certified.
As far as actual DOT regulations are concerned, if you’re driving a vehicle under 10k HOS don’t matter. I have no idea about Express policy.
What you're driving is irrelevant. If you have a valid DOT medical card, you must abide by the DOT HOS.
If you leave your DOT card home and are driving anything bigger than a sprinter, you better pray DOT doesn't pull you you over.

It will be fine

What you're driving is irrelevant. If you have a valid DOT medical card, you must abide by the DOT HOS.
That can’t be correct. If it was, what is to stop one of the non-dot classified express drivers from heading to the doc and getting themselves a med card to avoid working 7 days? Anyone can walk in and get a med card, it costs about $60. There’s no way Express policy is going to be bound by if a driver is holding a med card or not.

falcon back

That can’t be correct. If it was, what is to stop one of the non-dot classified express drivers from heading to the doc and getting themselves a med card to avoid working 7 days? Anyone can walk in and get a med card, it costs about $60. There’s no way Express policy is going to be bound by if a driver is holding a med card or not.
Not many couriers are gonna go to that extreme but that is possible. Either way, no matter what size vehicle you drive, if you have a DOT medical card, you are DOT and must abide by their rules. The company has classifications they put in their systems as how they work you, DOT or not. Their classification does not over ride what is in your wallet. If they have you classified as non DOT and you have a medical card, you cant work 7 days.

vantexan

Not many couriers are gonna go to that extreme but that is possible. Either way, no matter what size vehicle you drive, if you have a DOT medical card, you are DOT and must abide by their rules. The company has classifications they put in their systems as how they work you, DOT or not. Their classification does not over ride what is in your wallet. If they have you classified as non DOT and you have a medical card, you cant work 7 days.
You are only classified as DOT if you drive a vehicle over 10,000 lbs. If you do you must have a DOT medical card. If your vehicle is under 10,000 then you aren't required to get one and if you already have one you aren't required to follow DOT medical guidelines as long as you're under 10,000 lbs. Has nothing to do with hours of service. When you get your medical card DOT isn't notified. The card only proves you passed a DOT physical and a doctor signed off that you meet minimum DOT health standards. Any driving job that requires a DOT physical will keep a copy for their records to prove to DOT auditors that they're in compliance.