anyone else burnt out yet?

falcon back

You are only classified as DOT if you drive a vehicle over 10,000 lbs. If you do you must have a DOT medical card. If your vehicle is under 10,000 then you aren't required to get one and if you already have one you aren't required to follow DOT medical guidelines as long as you're under 10,000 lbs. Has nothing to do with hours of service. When you get your medical card DOT isn't notified. The card only proves you passed a DOT physical and a doctor signed off that you meet minimum DOT health standards. Any driving job that requires a DOT physical will keep a copy for their records to prove to DOT auditors that they're in compliance.
Wrong but believe what you want.

You can't drive a Reach 7 days in a row if you have a DOT medical card. Even if you are classified an Non Dot by FDX

Last edited:

falcon back

Is the Reach over 10,000 lbs? If so that would be violating DOT rules whether you have a card or not.
A reach is a Dot van. I meant Sprinter. My mistake.. If the driver has a DOT card he is prohibited from breaking DOT rules. He is DOT 24/7. Just like a CDL driver is required to follow CDL rules even if he is driving a Sprinter.

A DOT courier is subject to random drug test. Do you believe a DOT courier in a Sprinter is NOT subject to random as well

Last edited:

It will be fine

A reach is a Dot van. I meant Sprinter. My mistake.. If the driver has a DOT card he is prohibited from breaking DOT rules. He is DOT 24/7. Just like a CDL driver is required to follow CDL rules even if he is driving a Sprinter.
This is incorrect. Having a med card makes no difference when the equipment isn’t subject to DOT regulations.

HD219

I was told that if you drive a vehicle under 10k pounds you can work 365 days a year with unlimited hours as long as you have an 8 hour rest period between each day.

It will be fine

It does when it comes to FedEx policy. We will get notification of the 14 hour Rule on our LEO, regardless of what vehicle we are driving.
Perhaps your classification within the company does. There’s no way you having a valid med card changes anything. Is there a policy that you have to notify HR if you go get a med card? If someone has a valid med card and applies off the street for a non-dot position will they be denied? I doubt either answer is yes. Having a med card means you are physically qualified to drive a vehicle over 10k not that you have to be regulated at all times as though you are.

vantexan

A DOT courier is subject to random drug test. Do you believe a DOT courier in a Sprinter is NOT subject to random as well
A courier with a CDL is subject to random tests and must have a current medical card. Before FedEx got the government to allow non-DOT status to drivers of vehicles under 10,000 lbs couriers were required to have a medical card whether they had a CDL or not. But if you are under 10,000 you aren't required to have a card but from what I was told were required to abide by hours of service requirements. The medical card/physical was paid for by the company. Do you see non-CDL couriers with a current medical card being random tested? If they aren't being random tested then they aren't subject to the same DOT rules as a CDL driver is.

vantexan

It does when it comes to FedEx policy. We will get notification of the 14 hour Rule on our LEO, regardless of what vehicle we are driving.
That applies to all couriers. FedEx got an exemption so that they no longer had to pay for physicals of non-DOT couriers but were still expected to abide by hours of service for both the courier's and the public's safety.

falcon back

Do you see non-CDL couriers with a current medical card being random tested? If they aren't being random tested then they aren't subject to the same DOT rules as a CDL driver is.
DOT couriers are subject to randoms, not just CDL couriers. If a courier has a DOT and is in a Sprinter, he must abide by DOT rules. Swing drivers carry a card and might drive a Sprinter one day and a 900 the next. He is covered by DOT rules each and every day. People can think what they want and I really don't care. The chances of getting caught are extremely slim. I know I won't get caught. DOT doesn't audit lakes or golf courses.

vantexan

DOT couriers are subject to randoms, not just CDL couriers. If a courier has a DOT and is in a Sprinter, he must abide by DOT rules. Swing drivers carry a card and might drive a Sprinter one day and a 900 the next. He is covered by DOT rules each and every day. People can think what they want and I really don't care. The chances of getting caught are extremely slim. I know I won't get caught. DOT doesn't audit lakes or golf courses.
I've never seen anyone but swings get random tested in my last 5 or 6 years.