Anyone REGRET going to feeders?

QKRSTKR

When I took my test I had to parallel to. Swung right in, one pull up to have it nice and straight. Off set back left was almost as easy as the straight back. Definitely nerve racking though. Sweaty palms the whole way on road test. Also took off in 3rd gear during test as told to by management. No shifting in intersections during test. My cdl test instructor was pretty nice old guy. Heard there are some bad ones where we test.

Johney

do u have to already have a cdl license to go from package to feeders or will ups provide cdl school?

You have to get your temp license and then go to UPS feeder school for 2 weeks on your own dime and they give you a certificate(if you pass)to take to the DMV to get your license. I believe that's how it works here.

MaceFremonti

If you pass the first week of feeder school you have to have your CDL before you do your production week. UPS will take you for your CDL test and provide the equipment. If you fail then YOU have to cover the retest fee.

k ive been a pkg driver for 2 years now and was giving some thought into becoming a feeder driver but im in Wyoming where winters last 6 months so I don't know... lol

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
You have to get your temp license and then go to UPS feeder school for 2 weeks on your own dime and they give you a certificate(if you pass)to take to the DMV to get your license. I believe that's how it works here.
Whoah, that's pretty rough. Around here you go to DMV and get your CDL learner's permit (just a written test), go to your first week of UPS training(unpaid), then go back to DMV and take your CDL skills test (UPS provides the equipment). Once you pass the skills test and get your CDL Class A you go back to UPS for your final week of training(paid).

balland chain

I was in packages for 13 years,, Where I am we had to get our CDL learners permit, then have one week training, one week production, then on a saturday meet the DOT examiner for our road test.. the two weeks were not paid for time.. If you passed the road test you take the papers to DMV for lic. I do not regret it, it WAS great for my first few years 10 years ago,, now with a new center manager it kinda like packages except for all the lifting.. The hours can be tough at times unless you have 35 + years..my 26 years gives me a mid afternoon start, but at larger hubs my seniority would give me a morning start.. with that said, I would still go into feeders as it is slightly better than packages, at least here it is..

Johney

Whoah, that's pretty rough. Around here you go to DMV and get your CDL learner's permit (just a written test), go to your first week of UPS training(unpaid), then go back to DMV and take your CDL skills test (UPS provides the equipment). Once you pass the skills test and get your CDL Class A you go back to UPS for your final week of training(paid).
You know that maybe how it is here also. I hear different stories from different people. How ballandchain tells it is what I hear from most of the feeder guys.

MaceFremonti

Production day 3...building, moving, and breaking down doubles, doubles, and more doubles...then using a shifter in the yard....another 11.5 paid day....

Feeder bid sheet up. After 22 years in delivery my body needs a break but I'm on the fence about making the jump. Any former package car drivers out there who regret going into feeders?

Your worst day in Feeders is still better than your BEST day in the package car! Don't be affraid to work nights. You will see your family more than you will driving the little brown box of death!

brett636

You know that maybe how it is here also. I hear different stories from different people. How ballandchain tells it is what I hear from most of the feeder guys.

It might be different depending the laws of the individual states although the 2 weeks of training seems to be universal. Here you go through one unpaid week(prior to this you would get your CDL class A permit with combination units, doubles and triples, and air brakes endorsements) which is non productive learning how to hook up, pre trip, and drive with pups, doubles, and long trailers. Then the 2nd week is a productive week riding with a supervisor doing actual feeder work and working off of the call board, and after the 2nd week you are already scheduled to take your CDL test and once you pass it you simply complete the remainder of your 30 days and you are in.

bookibug

I was a package car driver as was my husband. I quit the trade and he stayed on. My husband went from package to feeder and didn't regret the change- but over the thirty year career we discovered that not all package car drivers can be feeder drivers. The hours are long and usually over terrible conditions. A lot of the package car drivers are afraid of being on the road, they are afraid of the rigs and the traffic. But before you make the leap, think about your family. I raised my two kids basically alone. Daddy slept during the day and we all had to be quiet. No family dinners, or after school activities. It takes a toll on the husband and wife thing for sure. Now that he's retired, the kids are grown and gone and he still has trouble sleeping at night. Being Feeder is a big step, and if prepared it can be good - just wanted to tell you what no one else told us.